Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:18 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

What is declawing?

Too often, people think that declawing is a simple surgery that removes a cat's nails—the equivalent of having your fingernails trimmed. Sadly, this is far from the truth.
Declawing traditionally involves the amputation of the last bone of each toe. If performed on a human being, it would be like cutting off each finger at the last knuckle.
It is an unnecessary surgery that provides no medical benefit to the cat. Educated pet parents can easily train their cats to use their claws in a manner that allows everyone in the household to live together happily.
How is a cat declawed?

The standard method of declawing is amputating with a scalpel or guillotine clipper. The wounds are closed with stitches or surgical glue, and the feet are bandaged.
Another method is laser surgery, in which a small, intense beam of light cuts through tissue by heating and vaporizing it. However, it's still the amputation of the last toe bone of the cat and carries with it the same long-term risks of lameness and behavioral problems as does declawing with scalpels or clippers.
If performed on a human being, declawing would be like cutting off each finger at the last knuckle.
A third procedure is the tendonectomy, in which the tendon that controls the claw in each toe is severed. The cat keeps his claws, but can't control them or extend them to scratch. This procedure is associated with a high incidence of abnormally thick claw growth. Therefore, more frequent and challenging nail trims are required to prevent the cat's claws from snagging on people, carpet, furniture, and drapes, or from growing into the cat's paw pads.
Because of complications, a cat who has been given a tendonectomy may require declawing later. Although a tendonectomy is not actually amputation, a 1998 study published in the "Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association" found the incidence of bleeding, lameness, and infection was similar between tendonectomy and declawing.
Some negative effects of declawing

Medical drawbacks to declawing include pain in the paw, infection, tissue necrosis (tissue death), lameness, and back pain. Removing claws changes the way a cat's foot meets the ground and can cause pain similar to wearing an uncomfortable pair of shoes. There can also be a regrowth of improperly removed claws, nerve damage, and bone spurs.
For several days after surgery, shredded newspaper is typically used in the litter box to prevent litter from irritating declawed feet. This unfamiliar litter substitute, accompanied by pain when scratching in the box, may lead cats to stop using the litter box. Some cats may become biters because they no longer have their claws for defense.
Declawing Cats: Far Worse Than a Manicure : The Humane Society of the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
All I wondered is whether people have used these outside Invisible Fence devices to keep a pet or cat in the yard. How this thread has slid into the abyss of whether or not a cat should be declawed or other pet issues not related to cats is unbelievable.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:42 PM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
Our neighbor used the Invisible Fence to keep her cat in her yard. It kept the cat in the yard. Unfortunately, it does not keep other animals out. Her cat was severly injured by a dog who came into her yard.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
Our neighbor used the Invisible Fence to keep her cat in her yard. It kept the cat in the yard. Unfortunately, it does not keep other animals out. Her cat was severly injured by a dog who came into her yard.
Thanks for this note. A very good point and one that I did not consider. I am thinking that if I create a "cat house" out of wood that has an entry way only big enough for a cat to enter, that may solve this problem. At least the cat could stay safe until I get home from work.

Or, perhaps I should shop for another home that is larger where I could keep both cats inside. Current house is small.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:09 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
All I wondered is whether people have used these outside Invisible Fence devices to keep a pet or cat in the yard. How this thread has slid into the abyss of whether or not a cat should be declawed or other pet issues not related to cats is unbelievable.
Welcome to Ohio, which by association includes some of Northern Kentucky, Eastern Indiana and Western West Virginia.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:14 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
This is what I wanted to warn you about, as well. An invisible fence will keep your pet in, but it will not keep predators out and one of these predators could hurt or kill your pet.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
This is what I wanted to warn you about, as well. An invisible fence will keep your pet in, but it will not keep predators out and one of these predators could hurt or kill your pet.
Valid point. Leaving some kind of escape method such as being able to climb onto the roof of the house or a tree and still have it inside the fence might be the way to get around this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati