Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried using something like the Invisible Fence or the equivalent in their yard to keep a cat or dog in the yard? Need to know if it is effective at keeping pets inside the boundary. I have a cat that likes to be outdoors but due to the environment that exists in Covington where I have my home, I don't think she should be running around outside of the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Has anyone tried using something like the Invisible Fence or the equivalent in their yard to keep a cat or dog in the yard? Need to know if it is effective at keeping pets inside the boundary. I have a cat that likes to be outdoors but due to the environment that exists in Covington where I have my home, I don't think she should be running around outside of the yard.

Keep the cat inside. You can't humanly train them with an invisible fence. People make enclosures, but why? The cat needs inside play areas. Figure out if you have a perching cat or a cave dwelling cat and build accordingly. And, post this up on the Cat Forum instead of here.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
I am frankly not familiar with how the Invisible Fence works with cats. With dogs I know they are effective. My next door neighbor has one for their two good sized dogs, a couple of Springer Spaniels. My brother, who lives close by also uses one with a Labradoodle, a cross between a Golden Labrador Retriever and a standard breed Poodle.

We are on our 2nd cat. The first was obtained as a young kitten from the pound in Lebanon. I was declared a mad ogre and other uncomplimentary names by the young daughter who had requested the cat when I told her to take it to the vet and have it declawed. Now our vet at the time had originally come to Mason to administer to the animals at the Kings Island Animal Safari. I thought at the time if they entrusted those pricey beasts to him he could be my vet, but all he had treated were our dogs. I told him it was our intent to confine the cat as an indoor cat, but I in no way intended to have our furniture torn up by cat claws. Of course the declawing procedure was messy and I am sure painful to the cat. But once the healing process had taken place I frankly never detected the loss of the claws as being catastrophic to the cat.

We ended up having that cat for 15 years. Other than the occasional transport to a vet during that period she never went outside. One the rare 1 or 2 occasions she wandered through an open door to the outside it was short lived. She was obviously very frightened by this strange environment and quickly scampered back indoors.

Suddenly I detected she seemed to be having sight problems, running into things for example. The vet said she had a tumor behind her eyes which was causing her to go blind. The wife and I discussed but we knew instantly the only humane thing for us to do was have her put down.

Having done this, it was less than 2 days later I am asking let's go get our next cat. We went to the same shelter in Lebanon but they were quite low on cats at the time. We ended up at the SPCA in Sharonville. They had one full grown adult cat, a female, they estimated at a little over a year old. She seemed to be content with us and we with her. Upon inquiry learned she had been front paw declawed but not rear. OK, we signed the papers and off to home we went.

We have had her about 3 years now. She is a delight to us. Loves to lay on any window sill or bed where a sunbeam is shining through. Will lay there until the sunbeam moves so she is no longer in it.

She sits on a cushion at the low windowsill of our wide rear family room window and watches all of the critters which come to feed at our patio which the wife keeps well supplied. We have a number of chipmunks which I know live under the patio. They are destructive with their burrowing techniques, I know that. But when I had this patio replaced I had the contractor use a large auger to bore down and create concrete pillars to rest the patio on. The house may fall down but those pillars and patio will still be there. The chipmunks come and grab the peanuts in the shell set out for the squirrels and scramble down into their burrows to store them.

We work our way up from there. The squirrels are next on the pecking order. I mentioned the peanuts in the shell which we buy in volume. Since they make short work of this offering, we also have corn-on-the-cob plus just regular dried corn to satisfy the squirrels. We really enjoy watching the small squirrels try and drag a corncob home to their lair. We often wonder what do they do if they manage to get it home.

Then there are the multitude of bird feeders around the patio. Large seeds, small seeds, you name it we have it. My wife is trying to figure out how to drive the Blue Jays off (PC correct discourage them). They are large and actually quite attractive birds. But they come early in droves and cart off the peanuts in the shell she puts out for the squirrels. The Jays like them too and can make short work of them.

To the rear of our property is another good sized older lot with a very large pine tree. The pine tree has a mature red hawk nesting in it. Over the past 40 years seems a red hawk has always been nesting there. Obviously it is not the same hawk, so they must be procreating also. I have a small storage barn on my property to keep the riding mower, etc. in. Every once in awhile I will look out and see a hawk perched on the roof ridge pole of the building. I know exactly why it is there, eying the activity on the patio, a good meal I can catch in flight.

Well, after digressing considerably from the subject of Invisible Fence, I must say I believe cats are more difficult. I spent a short time browsing the net for cat invisible fence and found most of the products were designed for indoor use. Is this intended to protect your funiture etc? I don't need an Invisible Fence for that. Quite simply, delclaw the cat, humane or not.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my cats, and with very little difficulty. My current cat comes up at night, jumps up on my chest, lies down, and goes to sleep. If she survives the similar 15 year period to the first one I will be content, particularly if I survive also.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:50 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am frankly not familiar with how the Invisible Fence works with cats. With dogs I know they are effective. My next door neighbor has one for their two good sized dogs, a couple of Springer Spaniels. My brother, who lives close by also uses one with a Labradoodle, a cross between a Golden Labrador Retriever and a standard breed Poodle.

We are on our 2nd cat. The first was obtained as a young kitten from the pound in Lebanon. I was declared a mad ogre and other uncomplimentary names by the young daughter who had requested the cat when I told her to take it to the vet and have it declawed. Now our vet at the time had originally come to Mason to administer to the animals at the Kings Island Animal Safari. I thought at the time if they entrusted those pricey beasts to him he could be my vet, but all he had treated were our dogs. I told him it was our intent to confine the cat as an indoor cat, but I in no way intended to have our furniture torn up by cat claws. Of course the declawing procedure was messy and I am sure painful to the cat. But once the healing process had taken place I frankly never detected the loss of the claws as being catastrophic to the cat.

We ended up having that cat for 15 years. Other than the occasional transport to a vet during that period she never went outside. One the rare 1 or 2 occasions she wandered through an open door to the outside it was short lived. She was obviously very frightened by this strange environment and quickly scampered back indoors.

Suddenly I detected she seemed to be having sight problems, running into things for example. The vet said she had a tumor behind her eyes which was causing her to go blind. The wife and I discussed but we knew instantly the only humane thing for us to do was have her put down.

Having done this, it was less than 2 days later I am asking let's go get our next cat. We went to the same shelter in Lebanon but they were quite low on cats at the time. We ended up at the SPCA in Sharonville. They had one full grown adult cat, a female, they estimated at a little over a year old. She seemed to be content with us and we with her. Upon inquiry learned she had been front paw declawed but not rear. OK, we signed the papers and off to home we went.

We have had her about 3 years now. She is a delight to us. Loves to lay on any window sill or bed where a sunbeam is shining through. Will lay there until the sunbeam moves so she is no longer in it.

She sits on a cushion at the low windowsill of our wide rear family room window and watches all of the critters which come to feed at our patio which the wife keeps well supplied. We have a number of chipmunks which I know live under the patio. They are destructive with their burrowing techniques, I know that. But when I had this patio replaced I had the contractor use a large auger to bore down and create concrete pillars to rest the patio on. The house may fall down but those pillars and patio will still be there. The chipmunks come and grab the peanuts in the shell set out for the squirrels and scramble down into their burrows to store them.

We work our way up from there. The squirrels are next on the pecking order. I mentioned the peanuts in the shell which we buy in volume. Since they make short work of this offering, we also have corn-on-the-cob plus just regular dried corn to satisfy the squirrels. We really enjoy watching the small squirrels try and drag a corncob home to their lair. We often wonder what do they do if they manage to get it home.

Then there are the multitude of bird feeders around the patio. Large seeds, small seeds, you name it we have it. My wife is trying to figure out how to drive the Blue Jays off (PC correct discourage them). They are large and actually quite attractive birds. But they come early in droves and cart off the peanuts in the shell she puts out for the squirrels. The Jays like them too and can make short work of them.

To the rear of our property is another good sized older lot with a very large pine tree. The pine tree has a mature red hawk nesting in it. Over the past 40 years seems a red hawk has always been nesting there. Obviously it is not the same hawk, so they must be procreating also. I have a small storage barn on my property to keep the riding mower, etc. in. Every once in awhile I will look out and see a hawk perched on the roof ridge pole of the building. I know exactly why it is there, eying the activity on the patio, a good meal I can catch in flight.

Well, after digressing considerably from the subject of Invisible Fence, I must say I believe cats are more difficult. I spent a short time browsing the net for cat invisible fence and found most of the products were designed for indoor use. Is this intended to protect your funiture etc? I don't need an Invisible Fence for that. Quite simply, delclaw the cat, humane or not.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my cats, and with very little difficulty. My current cat comes up at night, jumps up on my chest, lies down, and goes to sleep. If she survives the similar 15 year period to the first one I will be content, particularly if I survive also.
I had a friend who had a blue jay in her yard. She lived in a city.

I had a neighbor who had squirrels in his back yard. The squirrels ran around the immediate neighborhood burying walnuts from his tree. He lived in a city.

I had cardinals, wrens and maybe doves around, but it was a robin that built the best nest on the back porch. The robin ate next door. I lived in a city.

One day a deer hopped the fence, zoomed across the yard like a hunter was in chase then climbed the neighbor's six foot privacy fence. It all happened in a city -- DEEP in the innards of the city.

To the best of my knowledge, you can keep a horse in a city (at least some cities) as long as you take proper care of it. (Oh, and technically we had an extra bedroom in the last house of 33 years of course in the city.)

Old 02-01-2015, 11:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Declawing a cat is inhumane, barbaric and immoral. No rational person would do so today. It is no different than blinding a dog to make it more compliant. It is being made illegal across the nation.

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-01-2015 at 11:19 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

I have one elderly indoor cat (14 years) that does not claw furniture. Just cardboard boxes. Fine with that. But a younger cat is more of an outdoor cat and she needs to be outside for a couple of hours a day or more to expend some energy. I won't declaw a cat because they need to be able to defend themselves. This cat does not claw anything other than cardboard boxes either. No other issues.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Keep the cat inside. You can't humanly train them with an invisible fence. People make enclosures, but why? The cat needs inside play areas. Figure out if you have a perching cat or a cave dwelling cat and build accordingly. And, post this up on the Cat Forum instead of here.
Not that simple. The youngest cat likes to be outside. Not sure she can transition to an indoor cat. When I was out of town for a couple of days she knocked down some things that were on counters. Also, she will chase my elderly cat around but my elderly cat does not like other cats and does not want to play. By getting the younger one outside for a while on most days, she can have her fun and then mellow out when she gets back inside.

Seems to me that this is a relevant topic for this board. Since these invisible fences are actual radio waves and subject to environmental conditions, hearing the experiences from someone in the same climate where the device may be used vs. one in lets' say Utah, where it is semi arid to arid could lead to hearing about issues that are not applicable to the humid, Continental climate of the Cincinnati area. Wires may rot out faster here while last more years in a drier climate. Just one example.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I had a friend who had a blue jay in her yard. She lived in a city.

I had a neighbor who had squirrels in his back yard. The squirrels ran around the immediate neighborhood burying walnuts from his tree. He lived in a city.

I had cardinals, wrens and maybe doves around, but it was a robin that built the best nest on the back porch. The robin ate next door. I lived in a city.

One day a deer hopped the fence, zoomed across the yard like a hunter was in chase then climbed the neighbor's six foot privacy fence. It all happened in a city -- DEEP in the innards of the city.

To the best of my knowledge, you can keep a horse in a city (at least some cities) as long as you take proper care of it. (Oh, and technically we had an extra bedroom in the last house of 33 years of course in the city.)
Huh?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:
Huh?
Well, I read the comment as another discussion about the good life of suburbia from an apparent born and bred suburbanite (suburbian?), and I just thought I'd mention that people can also live in cities (bigger than Covington) as decades-long urbanites with similar animal amenities.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:06 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Declawing a cat is inhumane, barbaric and immoral. No rational person would do so today. It is no different than blinding a dog to make it more compliant. It is being made illegal across the nation.
Very obviously a huge difference in opinion. I see absolutely nothing barbaric in the practice for a cat to be kept indoors. We feed and pamper our cat very much. In return she appears to be extremely content with her environment. She just loves to climb up on people's laps to be petted. She does not run and hide from our barbaric treatment of her.

What I consider barbaric is the practice of keeping a cat indoors during the day and then dumping it outside all night to fend for itself. We have one of those, a male, in our neighborhood also. Has to grow a lot of extra hair in the winter to fend off the cold. He comes and sits on our patio, obviously searching for a handout. Our cat sits on her cushioned perch next to the rear family room window and stares inquisitively at him. The mood appears to be one of what are you doing out there you fool?

Every once in awhile the neighborhood cat shows up with visible wounds. He obviously has claws but also difficulties in coping with the variety of wildlife we have in our large yards. So far he has survived but I won't take any bets on the future. I do note he sits outside on a bird feeder and stares at our indoor cat with an imploring look amounting to How do you get that gig?

So let's discuss what is barbaric. Watching this neighborhood cat having to fend for himself to me is barbaric. Watching my cat, whose biggest worry is locating a sunbeam to bask in, doing so, and definitely recognizing the time frame of our meals and coming to see what we may have she can indulge in, I just don't see the barbarism.

And to label cat declawing as immoral, just to what standard of morality is that? I believe we are still talking about animal treatment here. We obviously have distinct differences in our portrayal of what suitable treatment of an animal is and I have no doubt we are not going to change each other's minds.

And if we want to discuss barbarism, how are cats any different than chickens, turkeys. hogs, or any of the other animals exploited for our human consumption pleasure? Just because we declare some as domesticated, is that the difference?

Sorry, but I will evaluate the treatment of an animal like a cat in proportion to what I observe as their quality of life.

I never went so far as to have my dogs castrated, considering that a total invasion of personal privacy. But animals which are pets, I can see this as a normal practice.

Please spare me this dialogue of barbaric, inhumane, and immoral practices. Sorry if I engulf your reality.
But let's move on with what do the majority in the region desire? Frankly I am not sure the majority really has an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati