Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati's metro area is also open to new business concepts. Lots of small business and incubator start ups in NKY and the city are helping Cincy to establish itself as a place that is open to independent business owners and entrepreneurs, not just corporate America.

I think being an outsider, like I am, is less of an issue in the Cincinnati area than many Midwestern cities. Indy has been terrible in that respect and my brother who also lives there will second that. While some people will claim that the Cincinnati area is closed minded, I just think they've been hanging around the wrong people. My personal experiences there are the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
OK folks, just what is the objective? I also agree natural gas delivers the most bang for the buck. But there has to be more to argue on than just utility costs. I agree a February like we just passed through wakes you up.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:36 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OK folks, just what is the objective? I also agree natural gas delivers the most bang for the buck. But there has to be more to argue on than just utility costs. I agree a February like we just passed through wakes you up.

2 cities ranked among top 10 for young families

Rachel Richardson, rrichardson@cincinnati.com 12:17 p.m. EDT March 9, 2015
(Photo: The Enquirer/Rachel Richardson)

Two Warren County communities have been named among the top three best cities for young families in Ohio, according to a survey released Monday by Nerdwallet.The consumer website analyzed 184 cities, towns and census-designated places in Ohio with populations of at least 10,000. Among the criteria considered: home affordability, growth and prosperity, schools, percentage of families with school-age children and poverty rates.
Springboro topped the list as a "small town with a cosmopolitan flair." Nerdwallet editors cited the community's proximity to both Cincinnati and Dayton, and noted that more than half of its residents who are 25 and older have at least a bachelor's degree — twice the state average.
The Warren County community of about 17,400 also received note for its family friendly festivals. Its annual Christmas in Historic Springboro, for instance, is billed as the largest three-day holiday festival in the tri-state, and the Freedom Festival honors the city's history as a stop on the Underground Railroad.
The city of Mason ranked third on the list and received kudos for its economic base, including the headquarters of Luxottica Retail and Cintas, and P&G's Mason Business Center. Editors also noted the top-notch Mason City School District that received a "perfect 10 score" from GreatSchools.org.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 AM

6 posts, read 6,858 times
This is totally fascinating to me, because I lived in Indiana for about 2 years, and while I fell in love with the state, I DID feel like Indiana folks were a little...reserved, maybe? That was 11 years ago now, and I am curious to learn of others' perceptions and the ways in which Hoosiers are perceived in that way...and also how Cincinnati is different...?

Old 03-10-2015, 04:30 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talesfromthebookmaven View Post
This is totally fascinating to me, because I lived in Indiana for about 2 years, and while I fell in love with the state, I DID feel like Indiana folks were a little...reserved, maybe? That was 11 years ago now, and I am curious to learn of others' perceptions and the ways in which Hoosiers are perceived in that way...and also how Cincinnati is different...?
I won't knock the entire state of Indiana. But the people in Indianapolis have some major issues and they certainly are not reserved. Have found people in the smaller cities of the state to be more civilized. Rural areas are hit and miss. When I return home from work I should have a chance to expound a bit further on the subject.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 AM

610 posts, read 797,517 times
Quote:
This is very useful information, and much appreciated--each city has its own personality, and I think it's important to know that.

I'm just gonna throw out random questions here...

How are the municipal politics? Is it a strong council, focused on finding solutions? Or are there rumors of corruption and in-fighting? What are the public libraries like? What is the commute like?

Do you get lots of thunderstorms in the summer? Are there fireflies? What would a monthly heating bill look like in the wintertime?
No major corruption charges at city hall. What you really have is a push and pull between "Old Cincinnati" and "New Cincinnati." It's a city where 70% of the vote was for Obama (complete opposite in suburbs). The biggest debate the past couple of years has been the building a street car downtown and possibly up to the University of Cincinnati. "New Cincinnati" supports this while "Old Cincinnati" does not. I'm not trying to be offensive with those terms just the best I can come up with. Right now, we have Mayor who is against the street car and council that is basically split. It'll most likely be the number one topic (again) in the next local election. FYI, the street car downtown loop is currently under construction.

Public Libraries are very strong in Hamilton County. Nearly every part of the county has it's own branch. The downtown main branch is one the most visited libraries in the country year after year.

The commute depends on where you live and where you're going. I personally perfer 71 over 75.

Yes, plenty of storms in the summer, but no real threat of tornados in city because of all the hills. Flatter areas outside of the city will see tornados. Yes, plenty of fireflies. I live in an apt, so I don't have a strong knowledge of real heating bils as mine was $23 in February.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
This is very useful information, and much appreciated--each city has its own personality, and I think it's important to know that.

I'm just gonna throw out random questions here...

How are the municipal politics? Is it a strong council, focused on finding solutions? Or are there rumors of corruption and in-fighting? What are the public libraries like? What is the commute like?

Do you get lots of thunderstorms in the summer? Are there fireflies? What would a monthly heating bill look like in the wintertime?
Cincinnati's city government is basically a train wreck. Over different administrations, that may get better or worse, but the historical context is generally bad. However, there are many smaller municipalities and townships in the area which have well-functioning governments. I believe the Hamilton County public library system is one of the most highly rated in the country.

Your other questions are too general to answer.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:13 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Cincinnati's city government is basically a train wreck. Over different administrations, that may get better or worse, but the historical context is generally bad. However, there are many smaller municipalities and townships in the area which have well-functioning governments. I believe the Hamilton County public library system is one of the most highly rated in the country.

Your other questions are too general to answer.
And the Hamilton County Park District is one of the BEST in the country. I keep commenting on that since my son is their Civil Engineer. As you navigate from City to County to the Greater Cincinnati Area as a whole you will find many differences. As a 74 year old born and breed in Cincinnati if you cannot find a neighborhood in Cincy to your liking you have too many prejudices.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Quote:
Depends on the part of the state. People in Southern Indiana are very friendly, almost as much as people in the Mid South. People in Central and Northern Indiana are more introverted.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
Default Haters can skip this one :P

Cincinnati can boast of having some of THE BEST ice cream anywhere, the "awesomest" German pastries outside Deutschland, and trademark chili that I pass on consuming if I can help it. Most shockingly, in my adopted city I live within an easy walk of no less than five decent Indian restaurants. BUT my most favorite place to chow down on one of my most favorite cuisines, anywhere, is a drab unassuming joint along a sketchy/scary street in the Queen City.

Were it not for food and family I'd have cut all ties there eons ago. A friend from childhood, long since relocated to the DC area, pegged it even better than the esteemed Ms Perry did here: "Corrosive conservatism" pervades. The thin veil over the region's unvarnished racism is ripped clear every time a yuppie gets jumped in Over-the-Rhine (excuse me, "OTR") or an intoxicated college student has their smartphone grabbed. What I call "same sexers" mingle with the trendy mainstream in "OTR" watering holes or mix with tattooed hipsters in Northside, interact with "tolerant" arts consumers, then go home by themselves or with their "you know...'friend'...'roommate'...[nudge, wink, eye roll, giggle.]" The drop of a name or the mention of your high school opens untold numbers of doors. Evidently because "only those people" utilize mass transit, there were pitched battles over the introduction of light rail to the city which have resulted in a truncated line and ongoing political skirmishes. A generic collection of brick-facade concrete cube apartment buildings, over brew pubs and chain restaurants, opens and the cheerleading echoes for miles. Major-league sports teams haven't tasted glory since there was hair on top of my head. Historic landmark buildings meet the wrecking ball every single year. Expressways clog with traffic as endless widening projects shift lanes this way then that way then back again, an overpass collapsed recently and killed someone, the most key bridge into Kentucky is overloaded and falling apart even as nothing happens to fix it except bickering.
Kasich got back in. Warren County tallied the most Romney votes in 2012 out of the entire state.

Do yourself a favor, OP. Allow at least two weeks between the dates on your round-trip ticket. Cincinnati has much to enjoy beyond the foods I anticipate visiting there for. The zoo is ranked up there with those of San Diego and The Bronx, and deservedly so. Until sometime in June the already excellent Art Museum (NEVER an admission charge) is displaying masterpieces from its Japanese collection. You never know what you might find at the grossly under-publicized Taft Museum. The birthplace of America's most corpulent president (hint: it wasn't Teddy Roosevelt) is in town and worth a walk-through. "Nerd-vana" exists in the form of the American Sign Museum. Beautiful old churches and eye-popping 19th-century mansions carpet the city (obviously much more in some areas than others. LOL) You already know where the "hip and happening" types congregate to party in town, so join 'em and listen to the inevitable griping about the right-wing s-hole that surrounds them. Or bite into some dead cow at any number of steakhouses. Swing by the Museum Center for at least one afternoon. Do fun research at the downtown library, part of perhaps the best-organized library system in the US. Visit Fountain Square just because it's there and scads of other people do. Take a GPS on a hike in Mt Airy Forest because it really is a forest. Or pack a picnic - from Findlay Market - to any of the numerous other amazing parks that carpet the landscape throughout the county. Keep an ear open for someone saying "Please?" for no apparent reason, particularly on the west side of the city. It's endearing, but vanishing, Cincinnati-ese for "I didn't get that," courtesy of the huge influx of Germans over a century ago.
Revel in the arts, natural and human-made beauty, and FOOD along with generally friendly people. But do not, DO NOT, make the mistake of thinking you want to live there. Unless you do. goyguy's opinions and perspectives are of course his and his alone. Lots of folks wind up pleased with their decision to put down roots in da nasty Nati. Such as the "Goyguy Seniors" back in 1955. They're looking back at 80 and have their plot at Spring Grove Cemetery (another should-see) for when their next lives begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati