Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:24 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talesfromthebookmaven View Post
This is totally fascinating to me, because I lived in Indiana for about 2 years, and while I fell in love with the state, I DID feel like Indiana folks were a little...reserved, maybe? That was 11 years ago now, and I am curious to learn of others' perceptions and the ways in which Hoosiers are perceived in that way...and also how Cincinnati is different...?
Need to mention the following to make my point. Actually I am an introvert by nature. Took that Briggs and Stratton um I mean Myers and Briggs Learning Inventory once before I started college and then again about five years ago. Each time I scored the same. I scored primarily as an ISTJ while on the cusp of INTP. You'd think that I would be a good personality match with central Indiana. Definitely NOT. Here in central Indiana they like to get into your face, get into your personal space and get into your place. They assume the worst about people at the start and spread malicious lies and rumors. In other words they stick their collective big fat nose where it does not belong. I don't see that in Cincinnati at this point at least not yet.

Women in my age bracket here in Indy are over bearing to the point that I try to avoid them when I am not at work. Anything but reserved. I'm done with them forever on a social level after the experiences I had with them in KC and now in Indy. The Myers and Briggs Test said that only about 3 women in 100 would be compatible with me on a social level. I believe it. Younger women in their 20's and some Teens seem to be much better behaved and more ladylike. You can judge a population by their driving habits. The reckless driving, running red lights to no avail and tailgating here speaks volumes of the character of the people in the Indianapolis area. I've seen as many as five cars drive through a red light at a single time in the Indianapolis metro area! Never even saw that in Kansas City.

I will say this. When I have traveled to the northern quarter of the state of Indiana and southern quarter of the state or out to the far west and eastern areas of the state I have noted people are a little more pleasant and don't have much of an attitude compared to the middle region of the state.

In closing on the subject. I was making a delivery in a small town near Richmond, IN a couple of weeks ago and mentioned to the customer that I was driving back to Indianapolis. She said "those people are really nasty". That sums it up perfectly. And I will add to that. Delusional, paranoid and close minded are also perfectly good adjectives to describe the people in central Indiana.

End of rant.

I just don't see this kind of nonsense in the Cincinnati area. One of my neighbor's in Covington even said that Indiana and Indy in particular has a bad reputation and he didn't have very good things to say about the place. I think you will find Cincy people are probably more standoffish until you get to know them. One local guy that posts on this forum recently told me that Cincy is the exact opposite of Indy and more like the northeast, people wise. If that is the case, people are going to be spending more time on their careers and family and friends and less time invading your personal space.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:45 AM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
Cincinnati has a ton of small breweries popping up that are very good. If you enjoy beer it is a big part of the local culture.

It seemed to me living in the city that the city itself is more of a baseball town while the suburbs are all about the NFL team.

Inside the city itself there are tons of historic buildings that have quite a bit of charm. The hills lead to many beautiful vistas as well as ensuring that every neighborhood has a type of village center (some more walkable than others).

Parts of the city are very walkable but I'd recommend having a car for most trips. The parks are very fancy. Not a ton of big hiking but they make the little areas they have very beautiful.

Fountain Square will have something to do every single night in Spring/Summer/Fall.

Mt Adams is one of the neatest neighborhoods I've been to anywhere in the US. The downtown/OTR area are growing by leaps and bounds. When I moved there 5 years ago, Washington Park in OTR was a needle park and drug den. It's now a park where parents of every economic background bring their children to play and couples come to drink wine and watch summer movies. It's a very exciting time to live in Cincinnati if you're someone who likes living or spending time in cities.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:15 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Kevin1813 ... Great Post.

You hit on many of the factors which make Cincinnati a great place to live. I have to keep things under control since I was born and raised here, some 70+ years now. Enjoyed a long business career which took me to most places in the US of any size. But can frankly say there was nowhere else which tempted me to leave Cincinnati. The rejuvenation in the City has been a sight to behold. Not a NYC, Chicago, or LA, Thank God, but a large enough city to provide just about anything you want. First Class arts and sports venues and unbelievable restaurants.

Yes the weather can be dicey, but that is part of the character. As I watched the snow melt this past week thought this is not a boring warm all the time climate. We will now go through a very rainy period but the plants it produces are beautiful and will rival the beauty anywhere.

If you decide to move to Cincinnati, trust me, the four seasons are events in themselves. You experience a change of seasons which to me gives meaning to life.

Spent some time in Florida when my in-laws decided to move there. FIL decided it was too damn hot and moved back to a complex in Tennessee, smart move. I haven't been to Florida except on a business trip since. Since I am no longer working, don't know whether I will see Florida aqain, certainly not voluntarily.

If you move to Cincinnati welcome. You will experience the four seasons which are an experience of life. I am looking at the rain now and thinking Oh-My-God the explosion of growth this will bring. And yes that is a part of life no one should miss.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:13 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Well, one more two cents worth, for what it's worth....

A most important thing that I don't think anyone else has thought important enough to mention:

Generally speaking, on the whole the people of Cincinnati are "good intended," meaning yes there is crime around and all that stuff, but people are often inclined to help others trying to make at least their part of the world a better place more so than you find done elsewhere. They are "socially aware" of the fact that there are others around who are not as well off as they personally are and they want to help.

Now, that's not everybody by any means, but it is a wide-spread attitude.

They are also often rather intelligent -- not necessarily absolutely accurate about things, but brighter than you might find elsewhere.

I do not know if this is some kind of "Xavier influence" or not, but that's a possibility to some small extent.

So, forget about stuff like breweries and ball parks. What kind of people are they? Pretty nice even if not always right.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:30 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I never said Cincinnatians are super intelligent, but they are smart. Perhaps why we endure here year after year and actually enjoy it. And as CP said, you will find a large number of people desiring to help with whatever problem you have. Hope you decide to move here and enjoy all of the vagaries with the rest of us nuts.

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-12-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 11:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,852 times
All of you, thank you SO MUCH for the information you have given.

The sad/ironic thing is, that I was born in Cincinnati 35 years ago, and moved away 30 years ago, and while I have never been back, it feels like a part of me has been trying to get back there since. And I see why, based on the warmth, help, and kindness so many of you have extended. It will be a good few years before I can leave my place here in Southern California, but because of you, Cincinnati is at the top of my wishlist!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati