Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 6,858 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am currently thinking about (eventually) relocating, and would love to know more about Cincinnati--the good, the bad, and the ugly. What is it that you love and/or hate about Cincinnati? What are its quirks? What random observations do you have?

Thanks in advance for any of you willing to share your information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Very simply I LOVE Cincinnati. The Metro area is simply the best. I don't knock Cincy, but at my age I have virtually NO reason to go there. When you are in your 70s, to me this is a great recommendation. Was born and raised here and intend to die here. Raised 4 kids here who are all college grads and doing well on their own. What else do you want out of a city?

Old 03-09-2015, 05:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
You want the elevator speech...an attitude of conservatism pervades greater Cincinnati. Not just in the narrow political sense, but in a sense of resistance to change in every aspect of life. A generalization, to be sure, and not entirely a negative quality, but I think the most important thing for an outsider to know.

If you have a solid middle-class income or above, you can have a very nice quality of life here for a reasonable to cheap cost of living. The area has tremendous natural beauty and a thriving arts community, especially the musical arts. Those are the two major things that come to my mind that may give Cincinnati an edge over other similar places in terms of geographic location and size. We also have a revitalizing downtown, a lot of poor people, and crumbling infrastructure and older neighborhoods that detract from some of the better points. But so do a lot of other places of similar age and size.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:42 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Even thought I don't live there yet, I do own a home in NKY and spend a fair amount of time in the area and have done so for a while.

I can tell you that I like the following:

1) Good restaurants. I've been visiting the Cincinnati area since the late 1980's and to date, not once, have I EVER had a bad meal at a restaurant. Not joking. Every time I've eaten out or at a restaurant the food has been decent or above average. Currently living in Indianapolis and almost half of the meals I've purchased here in a year and a half have been bad.

2) Air quality seems better than many metro areas especially when you get out to about 20 miles from downtown. But even the central area seems better than most cities judging by the way many of my sinus condition symptoms either diminish or vanish. Worst air quality is inside my house there. LOL I get outside and breathe better.

3) People while cordial, are more standoffish which I prefer since I am originally from New England where in most places people are not the kind to get into your face or business.

4) Lots of great architecture from the 1800's and early 1900's.

5) Hilly which makes for some interesting neighborhoods.

6) I don't have people looking at me like I have a third eye and nine arms. Get a lot of that in Indianapolis and also to some degree when I lived in Kansas City.

Dislikes include:

1) The politics at Cincinnati City Hall seem to be contributing to a major fiscal meltdown if spending is not addressed pretty soon.

2) Drivers seem to be getting worse there though thankfully it is not nearly as bad as driving in Indianapolis or Kansas City. People on the KY side seem to be more courteous drivers than on the OH side.

Those are what come immediately to mind. If I can add something else I will speak up.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 6,858 times
This is very useful information, and much appreciated--each city has its own personality, and I think it's important to know that.

I'm just gonna throw out random questions here...

How are the municipal politics? Is it a strong council, focused on finding solutions? Or are there rumors of corruption and in-fighting? What are the public libraries like? What is the commute like?

Do you get lots of thunderstorms in the summer? Are there fireflies? What would a monthly heating bill look like in the wintertime?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:00 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talesfromthebookmaven View Post
This is very useful information, and much appreciated--each city has its own personality, and I think it's important to know that.

How are the municipal politics? Is it a strong council, focused on finding solutions? Or are there rumors of corruption and in-fighting? What are the public libraries like? What is the commute like?

Do you get lots of thunderstorms in the summer? Are there fireflies? What would a monthly heating bill look like in the wintertime?
I believe that Cincy now has a stronger council form of government vs. strong Mayor. Someone will correct me if I am wrong about this. Yes, in fighting is a problem. Not sure about the level of corruption but I suspect it won't be as bad as I've seen in other cities in the country.

Thunderstorms are common and tornadoes do touch down in the region from time to time. Risk is lower than in Tornado Alley though.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:15 PM

Just look at how Cincinnati has progressed economically recently. You do not get that type of progress with a backward looking society. Move here and feel the embulance most of the City is feeling. Believe me Cincy is a a happening area.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Cincinnati is a lovely place to live and raise a family. It is not at all conservative by midwestern standards. Very liberal in fact. Perhaps not as liberal as NYC or SF or the like, but very liberal. Look it up.

But, what makes Cincinnati really delightful for me is the egalitarian nature of the City. One can join most any organization without your grandfather having been a member. And, one can get a reservation at the best restaurant without knowing the owner, or tickets to whatever.

And, one can live 10 minutes from town in a nice house in a nice neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Cincinnati is a lovely place to live and raise a family. It is not at all conservative by midwestern standards. Very liberal in fact. Perhaps not as liberal as NYC or SF or the like, but very liberal. Look it up.

But, what makes Cincinnati really delightful for me is the egalitarian nature of the City. One can join most any organization without your grandfather having been a member. And, one can get a reservation at the best restaurant without knowing the owner, or tickets to whatever.

And, one can live 10 minutes from town in a nice house in a nice neighborhood.
I like your last comment. You can live 10 minutes from town in a nice neighborhood. You can also live maybe 30 minutes from town in even a nicer neighborhood. Cincinnati encompasses more lifestyles than you can believe.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talesfromthebookmaven View Post

Yes Thunderstorms. Yes fireflies (suburbs, parks, grassy yards). Winter heat will depend on house size, insulation, type of heat. I would reccommend natural gas as its cheaper than electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati