Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:13 AM

41 posts, read 60,898 times

Advertisements

I would second Ft. Thomas as an option. Very close to downtown, with a nice shopping district, and easy access to the highway. Schools are some of the best in KY as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
+1 for Ft. Thomas.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:39 PM

410 posts, read 586,672 times
+2 for Ft. Thomas or Villa Hills in KY. No way to West Chester, Mason etc. unless you love sitting in traffic every day.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
+3 for Ft. Thomas.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:08 AM

649 posts, read 815,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg View Post
I was a little surprised there were no votes for West Chester. Is that because it is too far out and would typically be more than my 35 minute "limit" for the commute? Based on Zillow searches West Chester seems to have a lot more inventory meeting my house criteria than the other places mentioned here.
We live in Mariemont which is a straight shot into downtown on 50, 20min, 30 in traffic. Now that DH works in Mason his commute (per google traffic) should be 32min but it is never less than 45. So take the maps with a grain of salt.

Also there is nothing vintage in West Chester, so you get mediocre schools and 80s90s suburban "safety" with your retail life revolving around stripmalls. If that is what you want (an exurb) then pull the trigger on Mason which has much better schools.

For half an hourish to downtown in OH you need to stick inside 275, and be a few stoplights away from an i71s on ramp.

If you are looking seriously at West Chester you should also look at Anderson Twp. - low taxes, nothing vintage, strip mall retail, decent schools, lots and lots of parks, can feel rural, 30min from downtown. Anderson was Cincinnati's first exurb. So the housing stock is 60s-current McMansions but the destination has stayed its course is trying to redirect from stripmall centered to having a real center, so they now have a bike path and an amphiteater thing and maybe even a rec. center

FWIW Blue Ash also has alot of recreational amenities.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:46 PM

389 posts, read 330,049 times
I don't think Mason is unreasonable since he said he will work an early work schedule starting at 7AM. If you are on I-71 by
6:15 - 6:30 you can drive into downtown with no delays. 20 or so minutes.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:32 PM

19 posts, read 23,511 times
Thanks again for the great replies all. I'm intrigued by all the votes for Ft. Thomas. How is Ft. Thomas safety-wise? It's pretty close to downtown, which in my Cleveland-heavy frame of reference raises a big question mark.

We got a bunch of listings from a realtor, 80% of which were probably West Chester. We're going to all but rule out West Chester based on what sounds like a too-long commute. We got a couple listings for Blue Ash that we like. It's sounding like that could be the sweet spot for us in terms of the schools/commute/affordability/house-and-lot-size matrix. Maybe Sharonville also.

Also didn't get a lot of feedback on Milford. What are your thoughts? The commute may be a bit longer than I'd want, but I feel like if I'm commuting out to a more rural area like Milford it would be more worth it, vs. a long commute up a busy highway then into a super busy congested suburb/exurb.

Thanks again!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
^^^

Anderson Twp. is very similar to North Omsted WITHOUT a large shopping mall in the middle and has similar housing. One positive is that there are NO LOCAL INCOME TAXES. A number of my professional clients put their home and offices in Anderson to avoid paying any local income taxes.

Oakley is like the West park area of Cleveland with similar quality of schools Most of my friends in Oakley send their children to parochial schools so that is less of an issue.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:04 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
If you work downtown, you pay Ohio and Cincinnati income tax wherever you live. You get credit for taxes paid to another city, but you don't save any money living in Anderson.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:37 AM

610 posts, read 796,499 times
Fort Thomas is incredibly safe. I grew up there. Your kids will be able to walk and ride their bikes all over town without have any problems. Most car and house doors are unlocked during the day. Great schools, 2 okay business districts (restaurants never seem to last) and a strong sense of community. If you have more specific questions just ask.

Also, just as a reminder if you live in Oakley your kids would either go to Kilgour or Hyde Park Elementary. Kilgour is very highly rated and Hyde Park looks to be very good too, but it's only a few years old. The idea that you can't send you kids to CPS schools if you live in Oakley is antiquated and untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati