Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
But, still the reality is; they were 29th out of 30 in attendance last season. Dead last this year. That includes many new franchises as well, including southern cities like Raleigh, Atlanta, Phoenix, Tampa, Miami and Dallas.
true, I'm just saying that they've averaged better than 16k per game over the past 7 years with not even close to a good product. That's pretty impressive.

with that said, I think the NBA would do better up there if the CBJ ownership sells and the team moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
More reason for Dayton to get it (or Columbus...)
Dayton? Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that.

OK, I've thought about it now. I think Middletown would support the team better than Dayton would.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:54 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
true, I'm just saying that they've averaged better than 16k per game over the past 7 years with not even close to a good product. That's pretty impressive.

with that said, I think the NBA would do better up there if the CBJ ownership sells and the team moves.
I see what you are saying, and I do agree the NBA would have more of a chance in C'Bus than Cincy. But, here's the number's for the last few years for the Bue Jackets (in K): 18, 17.7, 17.4, 16.4, 14.8, 13.4

See a trend? Smaller each year. Some is the product, a lot is the "newness" factor. Once it's gone, the real support begins to show. The Destroyers were the same way.

I just think, generally college and pro sports don't mix well in the same city. Hockey is a bit different, because it is pulling somewhat of a different crowd than the NBA would be, but still it would be hard to support a major University and Pro team in the same city.

That having been said, I do think a Columbus franchise would be better off than many of the current franchises.

Personally, I think the NBA would actually generate more revenue by getting rid of 6 teams all together. Could you imagine just how competetive every game would be if 72 slack players were eliminated from the league. Players would actually have to fight for a job and those pathetically weak 19 year olds would be forced to stay in college. TV ratings and network contracts would go through the roof.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 PM

I think the NHL would benefit from contracting at least 6 teams as well. Sadly, I think the Blue Jackets would be on the chopping block.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:47 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times
^ I can't imagine that would work. drop six teams and every other team has to increase revenues by 25% just to break even.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
^ I can't imagine that would work. drop six teams and every other team has to increase revenues by 25% just to break even.
NHL maybe not. But if some teams are actually losing money (it all depends on whose reports you read), then it may actually be a necessity just to survive. It wouldn't really impact the TV ratings or general fan's perspective though.

As for the NBA, the revenue is generated first by TV network deals, followed by the sales of gear and then corporate boxes. Weak teams with watered down talent are struggling in all three aspects.

Less teams = more talented teams = more competetive games = more fan interest = higher tv ratings = more network revenue

That's at least how I see it. But what do I know....they are looking to put teams in Europe as we speak.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
columbus is too close to cleveland. this is a cavs town. 1.8 mil columbus, 3.1 mil cincinnati. wouldn't be a sound business decision.

dayton? c'mon daytonnatian, you can't be for real. while you're at it, go ahead and put the wolves in st. paul, the mavs in fort worth, move the airport out the state...

Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Honestly, I doubt that Cincinnati is going to get an NBA team anytime soon. You have to factor in several things:

1. There are bigger and better markets for NBA teams to choose from, and cities with more money to spare. Is there really that much demand for an NBA team in Cincinnati?

2. Cincinnati is only 2 hours from Indianapolis and the Pacers. Thats even closer than Cleveland and Columbus. Look at this map of the NBA teams location: Image:NBA Conferences Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . You see how close that would be?

But who knows? Anything can happen, but to be realisitic I dont see Cincinnati getting an NBA team anytime soon.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
columbus is too close to cleveland. this is a cavs town. 1.8 mil columbus, 3.1 mil cincinnati. wouldn't be a sound business decision.

dayton? c'mon daytonnatian, you can't be for real. while you're at it, go ahead and put the wolves in st. paul, the mavs in fort worth, move the airport out the state...
Are you saying Columbus is a Cavs town? Are you serious? I lived there for 7 years and I only heard Cavs talk during the NBA Finals 2 years ago when they played the Spurs. And even then, the talk died after they got blown out in the first 2 games.

Before they go LeBron, CLEVELAND was barely a Cavs town anymore.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
2. Cincinnati is only 2 hours from Indianapolis and the Pacers. Thats even closer than Cleveland and Columbus.
It's been a while since you've been here, hasn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati