Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times

Advertisements

i know this is pretty dead, but i wanted to point out that as a white boy livin in cincinnati for a decade now i haven't experienced a lot of real racism or "reverse-racism" within the city. i live in a predominantly black neighbourhood (west walnut hills) and have lived in clifton, lincoln heights, and south avondale. i go to school in OTR, i'm a senior in highschool. my school is pretty mixed although there is a black majority. i ride the metro everyday, and in each month i probably manage to ride every route (no drivers licence, i just turned 16 and can't afford driver's ed yet). although i have seen plenty of crime, the only race related incidents i've seen were fueled more by stupidity more than just random animosity. i did once get jumped walkin home when i was 13 by three black kids i didn know, but i'm not sure if that was a race thing or another factor. i don't think cincinnati is particularly swarmed by bigots and racism, at least among the youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
thank you for posting, sunwarmedstone. it is encouraging to think that -maybe- race issues may be nearly dead when your generation is running the country.

do you like cincinnati? do you think that you will stay?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunWarmedStone View Post
i know this is pretty dead, but i wanted to point out that as a white boy livin in cincinnati for a decade now i haven't experienced a lot of real racism or "reverse-racism" within the city. i live in a predominantly black neighbourhood (west walnut hills) and have lived in clifton, lincoln heights, and south avondale. i go to school in OTR, i'm a senior in highschool. my school is pretty mixed although there is a black majority. i ride the metro everyday, and in each month i probably manage to ride every route (no drivers licence, i just turned 16 and can't afford driver's ed yet). although i have seen plenty of crime, the only race related incidents i've seen were fueled more by stupidity more than just random animosity. i did once get jumped walkin home when i was 13 by three black kids i didn know, but i'm not sure if that was a race thing or another factor. i don't think cincinnati is particularly swarmed by bigots and racism, at least among the youth.
I don't know what it is about these posts. The last one we had was from a supposed white trash bumpkin, who couldn't spell or punctuate, with a racist father and a lot of bad country music lyrics, but who in her other posts was an executive assistant with perfect spelling, grammar and syntax. Now we have another one and while I should just ignore this or chalk it up to Internet anomaly, I must comment.

First, there is no place called "west Walnut Hills." I have lived here for 60 years and spent a lot of time in Walnut Hills including living there for a stint and never have I heard anyone who lives there call any part of it "west Walnut Hills."

Second, there is no high school in OTR. And, the only high schools close to OTR is not "mixed" by any stretch of the imagination.

And, my antenna goes up when a person uses the expression "random animosity" three words away from the expression "jumped walkin home."

Sorry, son, if my suspicion hurts your feelings, but this type of post just brings out the detective in me.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:09 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
wilson - i wonder if you're right. maybe he is talking about SCPA though

Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Well, I guess he could be referring to SCPA. I stand corrected. Its not technically in OTR, but close enough.

But, if you read this post out loud, it just doesn't seem real. I could be wrong. I apologized in advance.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
If SCPA isn't in OTR, where is it?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunWarmedStone View Post
i'm a senior in highschool... i just turned 16
My congratulations to you on your advanced schooling. Most 16 year-olds that I know are only sophomores or possibly a few juniors. It is apparent from your age that you either started first grade when you were 4 or were passed on and skipped a grade at some point. I am a little disappointed though. Most of the gifted students I had in school who had been advanced were very careful to make sure their capitalization and punctuation was always correct.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
If SCPA isn't in OTR, where is it?
Well, the city includes the north side of central parkway in its "downtown" commercial district, but the OTR chamber and I-rhine have the north side on the OTR map. So I guess its OTR. I sure don't think of Central Parkway as OTR. I think the old Taft HS on Ezzra Charles Dr. is more in OTR. But thats really the west end. Now its called the "virtual HS" or some such.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Count me among those skeptical that a 16 y/o high school senior "livin" in "West Walnut Hills" (never heard this designation), and using the British spelling "neighbourhood" is actually walking amongst us. And before West Walnut Hills he was "livin" in Lincoln Heights? "South Avondale" (also never used except as the name of a community school)? You can count the resident Caucasians of any of those areas with one hand, much less Caucasian children.
Enough attention's been paid to this fake already.
Cincinnati does feel more racially uptight than the only other major American urban area I've lived in, not to mention any of the numerous cities I've visited. And I think that part of this has to do with how the Great Migration of the mid-twentieth century played out, since paler and darker folks - each with their preconceived notions of "the other" - inundated the area in search of a better life. If anybody from the middle class up had issues with "the other" it was either kept quiet or "politely" expressed, but people less well-off let it all hang out. In my experience the worst offenders by far were the White Southerners (NOT all from the Kentucky mountains), who slung the N-word around the way verbally challenged young adults of all shades use "like" multiple times in every sentence today. On the AA side, attitude problems toward a lighter-skinned individual took the form of a pejorative word prefaced with a nastily-inflected "White." ("White MF," "White fool," etc.)
About all that's changed at present as opposed to the '60s-70s is that almost no one treats racial slurs as socially acceptable any more. You practically never hear the N-word unless it's used by Black persons in conversation with each other. This is rationalized by the misguided notion that saying "ni99a" is "taking ownership" of the N-word and "robbing it of its oppressive power." Oh kee...wouldn't it make more sense if nobody owned it? LOL
Back to "uptightness" in da Nati. It's only there that I see overly obsequious behavior in some AA persons; in other words, they act exaggeratedly nice out of learned fear or hatred or both. "Oh yes, it was much warmer outside yesterday, sure was, that's right, hahaha!" For the most part, though, people of any ancestry are civil and cordial with me if they're having any sort of interaction. That holds true everywhere. But the occasional fake niceness I run into in the OKI Tri-State betrays that old wounds are still fresher there.
Racism deniers used to say that they'd welcome anyone whatsoever to their neighborhood as long as their income and "values" were the same, only to be called on that when somebody "different" actually did. An encouraging development in more recent times is that more people who say that are actually walking the talk. What little "integration" there is in West Chester, Anderson Twp, etc wouldn't exist if this weren't so. From all indications (not only on C-D, by far) Pleasant Ridge is way up on the list of "hot" sections of the city, yet its WASP-nest character that was in effect during the years of my upbringing is heavily diminished. Goyguy Sr, heavily into such things, reports that the Presbyterian church serving the community is in danger of closing due to its shrinking congregation. Among the eateries and hangouts on Montgomery Rd are an Ethiopian restaurant and a "soul food" joint. Official head counts (for what they're worth) put the White population of da Ridge at ~55-60%. But just about the only "White flight" is IN.
Meanwhile, the pockets of Walnut Hills and Avondale respectively prefaced with "East" and "North" stay diverse, as does Paddock Hills - and, to a lesser extent, College Hill and Kennedy Heights. Communities in the Vine St corridor have more of a struggle with blight and decline than they do with the skin tones of those who dwell there. (The days of a "color line" at Mitchell Ave are history.) Price Hill, Madisonville, and Westwood are keeping up the good fight against crime and deterioration as their demographics shift. Nothing's kept Northside from being Cincinnati's ground zero for hipsters. Etc etc. So although Cincy has a long way to go, I'm guardedly optimistic for the future.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam513Ohio View Post
Love how black people on here blame it on the applachians,lol,come on now.Why don't the so called Applachian people shoot one another and what ever inocent person in the way?Have you ever seen a white club like the ritz?lol Be for real,who's doing most of the drug dealing and murdering?Why do the white people move away(white flight)?Well what decent parent wants to take a chance on there childs life,or any family member?The racial problems with in the black people of Cincinnati is 99% to be blamed on black people in Cincinnati.There is a very ugly culture in black neighborhoods in Cincinnati,and they only have them selfs to blame for this today.The civil rights movement days are far passed,black people choose to seperate them selfs and live the life style they lead in Cincinnati.Both black,white,etc can be victims to racisim. Like the way black students out number white students in the public schools in cincinnati and bully,attack,and push white students out of the schools.This is part of the culture in my city it seems.Most white people I know in cincinnati begin to hate black people in school,they try hard to turn the other cheek and remember it isn't the whole race but just these individuals,but after a while they give up on that idea.lol,Or atleast thats what I've witnessed and been told.Ever ride a metro bus?Who's in the back cursing,being rude,and hateful towards others?Who is rude to customers unless they're the same race?Who points there finger at others and speaks over others loudly to avoid blamming there selfs?These ugly things are seen in all races,but which one do you see it in the most?Or atleast which one do you see it in the most in cincinnati? Get a african immigrant(which are doing well in cincinnati)what he or she truly thinks,has seen,or belives about the majority of black residents of cincinnati.lol Then get some that isn't black to ask them,p.s. I know why the applachians are getting hated on,when the odds are even they fight back and might woop your ass,then you got to jump them.Love y'all black people,and love all people,just pointing out some truths don't don't alwys get pointed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Yea, sometimes people sign up with a new account just to flame someone, or they pretend to be something they are not like the poster above, etc. I think the term is well defined in wikipedia:

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Some time ago I got a warning from cornerguy because I jumped on some troll who had no posts yet bumped an old thread in the Maine forums over his poor spelling and grammar in a rant against the Amish. Someone needs a new hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati