Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I had to stay in NYC recently, and I revisited my feelings of insecurity about being from Cincinnati. Years ago, my cousin lived in Manhattan in the shadow of the then Pan Am (now Met Life) building helicopter landing pad, with a doorman and a limo service and a view of the Hudson. I think that terrorized me a bit.

Not so today. I love Cincinnati and would not trade places with any New Yorker. Today, I strain to see any appeal at all to living in NYC. We tend to compare our worst blocks with their best blocks. and our worst restaurants with their best restaurants. News Flash to those who have not visited NYC, SF, or LA recently: just because there is a nice restaurant, doesn't mean that you, humble peons, get to eat there. If you are staying in a really nice hotel, you know, the $600 per night type, you can get the concierge to get you in most places. But, if you are a schlub from New Jersey looking for a nice evening in town, forget it. They're booked.

The best deli on the Upper West Side had no home-made cookies. Nothing but two bagged Pepperidge Farm choices. Mint Milanos (which I like) and something else.

Back to Cincinnati. We have everything here a person could want, but most importantly, we can actually get tickets, gain admission, become a member, park nearby, get good seats, etc. If you see something glamorous on TV about NY or LA, forget it. It is not for you. You won't get in. Its for the elite. Here, you actually can be born in one of the best birthing hospitals in the country (Christ), attend a private school fit for a President's children, work for a Fortune 100 company, golf on a magnificent course, and be buried in one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the world.
Nice post!

Not to mention, work in a city that is ranked 8th in the nation per fortune based 500 companies.

Cincinnati is livable, is currently going under some of the highest amount of construction in the nation, and experiencing a lot of great growth. Cincinnati is underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:01 AM

11 posts, read 30,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I will give someone a welcome if it is well deserved. He/she seems very negative about Cincy, without even knowing anything about. And reading stuff on this forum based on peoples' opinions!? Making a judgement off that is crazy!

I moved to Dayton/Cincinnati from Philly, and I had a positive outlook on it the whole time. Not "I unfortunatley have to move to Cincinnati."
I appreciate how in love with the city you are! Definetely shows that it has a lot to offer.
I think you misunderstood me...the "unfortunately" was that I had to leave NYC so soon because of my job..not that I am moving to Cincy. I have never been to Philly but I hear it's amazing, so that gives me hope that you fell in love with Cincinnati after moving here. Thanks for your comments.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 AM

Quick question for all, I currently use HSBC and they don't have any branches in Cincinnati. Which bank do you guys recommend here? I was thinking of Chase...

Last edited by nyc270; 08-27-2009 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
I'm guessing you want urban, right?

Cincy has 'hoods that won't exactly make you miss NYC, is the point that I think the above posters were crudely getting around to. So, try Urban Ohio for a more in-depth look at Cincy (personally, I'd suggest the CBD or Over-The-Rhine, but the posters on Urban Ohio live within the city itself in many different neighborhoods and can give you a street-by-street or house-by-house analysis). This site is generally not good for urban users with its strong suburban presence, so don't expect great responses.

Here's a link:

UrbanOhio.com - Index

ALSO- I can understand why you wouldn't want to move here, especially after all the glitz and glamour in an urban setting in NYC, which is truly an awesome city. Still, Cincy's WAY easier on the wallet, easy access to ANYWHERE (70% of the nation is within a 1-day drive or 2-hour flight out of Cincy), not too many traffic problems, and a very welcoming and supportive community.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I had to stay in NYC recently, and I revisited my feelings of insecurity about being from Cincinnati. Years ago, my cousin lived in Manhattan in the shadow of the then Pan Am (now Met Life) building helicopter landing pad, with a doorman and a limo service and a view of the Hudson. I think that terrorized me a bit.

Not so today. I love Cincinnati and would not trade places with any New Yorker. Today, I strain to see any appeal at all to living in NYC. We tend to compare our worst blocks with their best blocks. and our worst restaurants with their best restaurants. News Flash to those who have not visited NYC, SF, or LA recently: just because there is a nice restaurant, doesn't mean that you, humble peons, get to eat there. If you are staying in a really nice hotel, you know, the $600 per night type, you can get the concierge to get you in most places. But, if you are a schlub from New Jersey looking for a nice evening in town, forget it. They're booked.

The best deli on the Upper West Side had no home-made cookies. Nothing but two bagged Pepperidge Farm choices. Mint Milanos (which I like) and something else.

Back to Cincinnati. We have everything here a person could want, but most importantly, we can actually get tickets, gain admission, become a member, park nearby, get good seats, etc. If you see something glamorous on TV about NY or LA, forget it. It is not for you. You won't get in. Its for the elite. Here, you actually can be born in one of the best birthing hospitals in the country (Christ), attend a private school fit for a President's children, work for a Fortune 100 company, golf on a magnificent course, and be buried in one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the world.
Thanks for the info! I am sorry that your NYC experiences have been bad...it definetely is a love it or a hate it city. I would have to disagree that NYC is expensive for everything...you just have to know where to go and what to do..there are tons of FREE events here as well and many amazing hole in the wall places that serve great food. If you ever decide to visit again, I would recommend using Restaurant Week because all the amazing/well known restaurants offer their menu for 1/2 the price! Also the street festivals in the summers showcase some of the best food in town for next to nothing prices. I have to admit that I live in a doorman building in Manhattan but that has never stopped me from exploring every nook and corner of the city to find the best places to be. Btw, best cookies ever: Chelsea Market!

Thanks for all the Cincy perks list...am looking forward to experiencing some of those (giving birth and sending the non-existent kids to school is not on the list for quite some time..haha).

Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 AM

34 posts, read 119,184 times
nyc270: I had a chase a/c when I was in NY and never changed bank after I came to Cincy. So far so good! My friends also have accounts with US Bank and Fifth Third.

I agree with you that Chelsea market cookies are awesome!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc270 View Post
I have moved around all my life and have been in NYC for the past 2 years. I can honestly say, i am in love with the city. My job, unfortunately, has me moving to Cincy and in this economy nobody can be choosy!

So in a month, I am moving! Now I have heard and read this all over the forum: Cincinnati is not NYC, it's conservative, not diverse, etc etc etc. I would love to hear reviews on the city from someone who didn't "move back to Cincy", "grew up in OH", moved from any other small town place. Preferrably from someone who moved from NYC. How has your experience been? Using this site, my apartment is in Hyde Park, so hopefully that won't be too bad. Any tips/tricks/suggestions to make my move/stay in Cinicinnati a productive one and not feel the dreadful withdrawls of NYC!!!

Thanks in advance!
Well, Cincy isn't New York, but is that such a bad thing? You can live in the downtown Cincinnati CBD at a fraction of the price of Manhattan. There's a great river, great sports teams, and some pretty fun things to do. Be sure to check out downtown, Newport on the Levee, Mainstrasse (in Covington), Mt Adams, and Hyde Park Square (it sounds like you're living nearby). Also, if you like parks, check out Sawyer Point, Ault Park, and Eden Park. There are also some cool museums to check out; you might want to take a trip to the Cincinnati Museum Center to get a bit of background on the history of the city (and see a really cool art-deco train station). I'd also recommend the Cincinnati Art Museum's young professionals nights. You can't miss Findley Market. There are a few can't miss restaurants that I'd recommend: Bootsy's, the Lav-o-matic Cafe, Jeanro's, and Nicholson's to name a few.

First thing's first: go to the top of Carew Tower (I think it costs $2) and take a look around the city from it's tallest building (yeah, I know you could fit two of those in the empire state bldg). Bring someone with you to point out where things are if you can.

I'm a transplant myself, but Cincy is a great city, have fun with it.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,427 times
I forgot to mention:
Check out Space513.com for info about some areas around the city.
Oh, a random tidbit: The Roebling Suspension bridge is none other than the prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge (in case you miss NYC).

Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc270 View Post
I appreciate how in love with the city you are! Definetely shows that it has a lot to offer.
I think you misunderstood me...the "unfortunately" was that I had to leave NYC so soon because of my job..not that I am moving to Cincy. I have never been to Philly but I hear it's amazing, so that gives me hope that you fell in love with Cincinnati after moving here. Thanks for your comments.

I am very sorry then. If you need any help, please feel free to ask me. I can help you out with a lot of information. I am a computer programmer so I travel the country for work, Cincinnati truly is a gem.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,066 times
I grew up in NYC (Brooklyn) and here's my opinion of the city.

Pros:
Real estate is cheap. Super cheap. If your goal is to buy a house then hey, you can't argue with it.

Cost of living is pretty low. taxes is only 6.5%, insurance isn't too bad, and you live a pretty decent life on 45k assuming you budget properly and watch your finances.

Cons:
Job market sucks. I don't know if it's any worse than ny right now tho (my cuz says she's been having a hell of a time finding a job in NY). I'm in IT and the market for that sector was never really popping. It's not "OMG END OF THE WORLD" but it definitely isn't incredible either. And the recession obviously isn't helping

The nightlife/single life: in two words, it sucks. Now granted I know it's not a big metropolis like NYC but i still expected something more. I'm 27 and single so all the "family fun" activities are pretty boring to me. There's some decent clubs/bars to hang at, but there's not that many spots to go that are usually exciting.

The culture: my fam is jamaican and i grew up around caribbeans, jews, asians, middle eastern people, italians, greeks, etc. In Cincy....white folks (and the ocassional mexican and indian person sprinkled in). This is the hardest part for me to deal with I think. I just miss all of the cultural aspects of living in nyc.

Personally I'm trying to figure out where I'd move to next because Cincinnati just really isn't for me. Of the people I know who moved here from OT they don't like it and of the people I know who's from here can't really stand it. Probably in the last year is when I started to develop a similar sentiment of the place.

Either way it's irrelevent. The economy's bad and your job is relocating you so take it and shut up lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati