Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 AM

350 posts, read 880,266 times

Advertisements

I really like the Cleves area--no worries about being in areas where your neighbors are struggling with a $300K house. And the homes are on very large lots in most subdivisions. Lots of green space and only 20-25 minutes to downtown. Here's a nice house, search 45002 Hoeting Realtors® - Full Listing Display
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
This guy/girl won't last a second in Cinci anyway, I don't know why you're bothering.

Key words and sentences from his/her initial post that lead me to this conclusion:
"(preferably a higher end store like wholefoods)"
"Under 45 min to downtown [bold]in case I feel like getting a job[/bold] in the future"
"KY could be an option, but I would be worried about living with a bunch of rednecks."

Quote:
Would the culture shock of moving to a place like Mason be too much?
For you, likely so.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What the heck does that mean? Would you prefer living around people in $300,000 houses who can't afford them?
Either this is a troll or solidifies everything I've ever said about New York City dwellers.

Had I met this person in real life...Oh my.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
I really like the Cleves area--no worries about being in areas where your neighbors are struggling with a $300K house. And the homes are on very large lots in most subdivisions. Lots of green space and only 20-25 minutes to downtown. Here's a nice house, search 45002 Hoeting Realtors® - Full Listing Display
Does this house back up to Edgewater? Yeeeeeeeee-ha!

This thread is too much fun. Kinda like when a co-worker here in Philadelphia (who's never been west of the Susquehanna River) was surprised when he found out I liked sushi, because he didn't think anyone in Cincinnati had heard of sushi. Oy.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
I normally like to encourage out of state people to buy in Cincinnati. In fact some preservationist friends of mine from New York just bought a ratty old house to restore. Of course I'm sure you never met them,they live in "GASP" Harlem in a restored Brownstone they just sold for 2.7 Mill. They are looking forward to moving to Cincinnati and fixing up their dream house, a 1885 Second Empire they paid a few thousand for in a neighborhood you obviously would not set your foot in.

Like I said, I generally try to encourage people to move to Cincy. With, your attitude, it sounds to me you would just be "happy as a clam" in the Village if Indian Hills BUT you cant afford the price of admission. WAAAY out of your lowly price range and you probably don't own a Rolls or Bentley.

Perhaps you should consider staying in New York, I don't think you will like it here.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
This thread is too much fun. Kinda like when a co-worker here in Philadelphia (who's never been west of the Susquehanna River) was surprised when he found out I liked sushi, because he didn't think anyone in Cincinnati had heard of sushi. Oy.
I was especially amused by the OP's trollish comments about Kentucky, having spent most of my adult life in Lexington. I admit I found it dull, but nobody can say it's not affluent and plenty snooty.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM

350 posts, read 880,266 times
Quote:
Does this house back up to Edgewater? Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
Naw, Edgewater's up in Miami Township next to the meth labs...err, trailers, on E. Miami River Rd.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I was especially amused by the OP's trollish comments about Kentucky, having spent most of my adult life in Lexington. I admit I found it dull, but nobody can say it's not affluent and plenty snooty.
Yea, I let that one go by. But, the thread is fun. The average New Yorker is really a schlub, they know nothing about middle America, but they are loyal to NYC beyond all reason. Don't get me wrong, I like NYC. It would be a great place to live if you didn't have to work and had a couple million per year in disposable income. Great lifestyle. Limo out front, door man building. Walk to museums and theaters. Great restaurants all up and down the Upper East and West Sides. Etc., etc., etc.

But, the average New Yorker has a really miserable existence. Housing cost for a person making 250,000 per year and living in the city can easily be 60-70% of take home pay. And that doesn't get much. 2 bedrooms two baths, no view. Of course they don't want a car - they can't afford one. And the trafffic is so bad they can't drive it anywhere. The average price to park a car in Manhattan is $431/month. And most New Yorkers never ever go to the theater or a museum. And, they spend hours commuting. The work day for a young lawyer in NYC is 8 to 8 unless something is going on, then its 8-10pm. And, go to a grocery in the city. Want some cookies? They have two choices. Want some fresh vegetables? They look like they started their journey from California about two weeks ago and probably did.

And for persons of lesser income, a $300,000 condo in Park Slope (equivalent to Norwood) and across the bridge in Brooklyn will get you 400 square feet. About the size of a single wide trailer.

And, the % of persons who are college graduates in Lexington Kentucky is probably twice that of NYC, not that college means that a person is a good person.

So when someone from the city comes down here and starts talking lifestyle I just have to laugh. Go back to NYC and see what $300K gets you.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM

269 posts, read 778,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Either this is a troll or solidifies everything I've ever said about New York City dwellers.

Had I met this person in real life...Oh my.
What is this now, a bash NYC and New Yorkers thread? A lot of people seem to have the misconception that anyone from NYC is a breeding ground for nothing but loud, rude, arrogant bastards. Honestly, I don't find the attitudes of New Yorkers to be incongruous like the media loves to portray.

On a side note, I did find Lexington to be surprisingly pretentious and snooty.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
What is this now, a bash NYC and New Yorkers thread? A lot of people seem to have the misconception that anyone from NYC is a breeding ground for nothing but loud, rude, arrogant bastards. Honestly, I don't find the attitudes of New Yorkers to be incongruous like the media loves to portray.

On a side note, I did find Lexington to be surprisingly pretentious and snooty.
Just to be clear, I've only been poking fun at the individual who posted, and based on the post I'd be poking fun no matter where they said they were coming from.

I guess discussing Lexington is veering off topic, but I don't want to overgeneralize about it, either. Fact is, it's the educational, medical and cultural center for the eastern half of the state, and it has a thriving economy which has historically not been largely manufacturing-based (other than IBM). There are certainly enough educated, sophisticated, affluent and/or downright wealthy people there to hold their own with folks from any area of the country. And that's not even counting the Middle Eastern royalty who occupy their homes during racing season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati