Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:25 AM

19 posts, read 28,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I just love that term diversity. Tried to look it up - not sure I have ever encountered a move vague series of definitions. Let me see - if you and I completely agree we are obviously not diverse. If we disagree, we may be diverse but to what extent. If we totally disagree we may be polar opposites. Please identify to me what diversity means to you. Not exactly like me, but to what extent apart?
True enough.

Lets assume by diversity we mean having a community of people that are not all "the same". This can be along several different dimensions, including but not limited to gender, race, sexual orientation, economic, education, religion, age, even political views.

Diversity is often used to mean anything other than all white. All-white would not be very desirable. But race is not the main dimension when I think of diversity. In NY its simply not an issue. Every neigborhood has some level of racial diversity that is far beyond anything you will find in Ohio.

If anything tolerance is probably more important than diversity. The problem is lack of diversity often leads to intolerance.

Its funny because by saying I didn't want to live with a bunch of "rednecks" I was being just as intollerant as the intollerant people I would want to avoid living with. People on the board obvioulsy picked up on this mistake.

So if I had to re-do my post.
1. same, moving to get away from the overcroweded city. need a detached house.
2. Montessori is important to me as my Mother was a montessori teacher all her life. Would break her heart if my son didn't go to one
3. Good schools still important
4. Under 45 min to downtown still important. Spouse will be primary income earner. But if I can't stand not working would be nice to be within commuting distance
5. Not sure why people got so angry about me wanting a nice grocery store?
6. Don't have much to spend on a house. Max would be 400k

The other comments must be what generated the issue. The last was particularly stupid on my part "300k but not 300k". All I meant is we can't afford a high end house, but we don't want to live in a slum filled with forclosures and abandoned houses. I would want to live in the crappiest house in the neighborhood, not the best house in the neighborhood.

Not sure why "too far" got people all riled up. On a map IN looks really close, but I remembered it feeling really FAR away from cincinnati. Probably just because I never had a reason to go there so it seemed far.

I already appologized about the KY redneck comment, but COME ON, has Cincy really changed that much that KY isn't looked down upon by most people who live in OH? Maybe it has.

I think the real issue with my post is most people HATE NYers. I hate us too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I don't know enough about Mason to answer your question. Kroger certainly has changed, but if their large, new-concept superstores aren't upscale enough for you (indeed, I don't recall ever seeing rendered duck fat at Kroger), there's always Jungle Jim's which as I understand it has a national if not international reputation for its enormous size and selection.

Look, I was away from Cincinnati for more than 30 years before I moved back 9 years ago. Granted, I did visit occasionally so I observed some changes, both good and bad. There have been many, just as there are everywhere.

I think you and your family would be well advised to plan to visit and spend at least a week or two in the Cincinnati area so you can observe the current state of affairs. I've seen a lot of assumptions in your various postings which I doubt you would be making if you'd spent time here recently. Then you can make a much more informed decision as to whether this area's for you or not.
Thanks, never heard of Jungle Jims. Will look it up. I'm betting that there are high-end type gorcery stores in all areas that I just don't know about. Organic food has become so popular as of late there is just too much money to be made.

Good advice on the week vacation. We will definately do so, but its pretty hard to figure out reputation and quality of schools with a one week visit. Especially without narrowing it down a little.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kging View Post
KY could be an option, but I would be worried about living with a bunch of rednecks. No offence to any KYers out there.
Such a mature remark. Oh so "rednecks" only exist south of the Ohio River? Please, get real. Did you mean to say "offense"?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Lexington is the only place I have ever even been in KY. My sister lived there for 2 years while her husband went to school. I thought it was one of the most backward places I've ever been. Agree on the dull.

Seriously, I think maybe KY has made a resurgance? Growing up in Cincy in the 70s and 80s, KY was generally looked upon negatively. I didn't think neg comments about it here would generate such disdain.
Sorry but you apparently visited a different Lexington. I think it's way nicer than Cincy. You all have no horse farms. At least Lexington is different than any other city in America. Lexington is also cleaner, safer, smaller. Anyway...

Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Sorry but you apparently visited a different Lexington. I think it's way nicer than Cincy. You all have no horse farms. At least Lexington is different than any other city in America. Lexington is also cleaner, safer, smaller. Anyway...
LEXINGTON IS NICER THAN CINCINNATI!?!? WTF. come on. a horse farm? A HORSE FARM? really? REALLY?

Ugh. Is everyone here from Kentucky? I take it back. Kentucky Sucks.

Quoted from another website:
Kentucky became the 15th state on June 1, 1792, despite the fact that no one in the state can actually count that high.

The state sport of Kentucky is horse racing, mostly because you can't lose your license for "riding under the influence".

In Kentucky, spitting tobacco juice on someone is considered a friendly greeting, much like the "up yours!" of a New York cabbie.

The state flag of Kentucky consists of a blue background behind two pickups and a still.

While attending church services in Kentucky, remember that - traditionally - the collection plate is passed BEFORE the spittoon.
They get REALLY upset when you get that wrong.

The state reality TV show of Kentucky is the Jerry Springer show, or - as it's known locally - "Southern Survivor".

When visiting a Civil War battlefield in Kentucky, try not to laugh out loud if the guide mentions how "we purt' near won that battle".

The state motto of Kentucky is "United we stand, divided we fall, drunk we pass out."
This replaced the old motto of "4 million people, 15 last names".

There are no newspapers in Kentucky, as being literate is considered snooty.

Although Kentucky is bordered by seven different states, Kentuckians rarely shop across state lines, since most stores in other states have firm "no shoes, no teeth, no service" policies.

Kentucky's nickname is the Bluegrass state.
Yeah, we all know grass is GREEN, but if you try to tell THEM that, they'll think you're just being snooty.

Kentucky is the only state in the US where drivers routinely hit their brakes before running over banjo players.

The electric lightbulb was first demonstrated at the Southern Exposition in Louisville, Kentucky in 1883, but was dismissed by locals as just another passing fad, like horseless carriages and soap.

Kentucky's name comes from the Iroquois Indian word "Ken-tah-ten", which means, "wife... sister... what's the difference?"

Heather French became the first Miss America from Kentucky in 1999. She beat out Miss Alabama by correctly answering the question, "What is a toothbrush used for?"

Colonel Harlan Sanders opened his first fried chicken restaurant in Corbin, Kentucky in 1952. It was hugely successful, unlike his earlier chain of Kentucky Fried Possum.

The song "Happy Birthday To You" was written by two sisters from Louisville, Kentucky in 1893, and was originally titled, "I'm Too Cheap to Buy You a Present".

The first enamel bathtub was made in Louisville, Kentucky in 1856 and was immediately destroyed by a mob of angry hillbillies.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:06 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm not mean; I'm just pointing out some fallacies in your arguments ... and didn't that make you think just a little bit?

Quote:
But if I wanted some Swiss chard, would I have to drive 100 miles to get some?
Nope. You just go to Kroger. Or Meijer. Or Trader Joe's. Or ...

Quote:
As someone else pointed out the average A&P in NYC is terrible.
And as you have pointed out, Cincinnati is not NYC. The best produce to be had, no matter where you live, is always at a farm stand or farm market, but the grocery stores really aren't that bad, and the potatoe selection does indeed go beyond russets. I dunno about duck fat; that's the kind of thing I have to avoid and still maintain my girlish figure.

Quote:
I assumed all grocery stores were like the A&P because thats how I remeber Krogers growing up. Am I wrong?
A lot of what you remember (or what you think you remember) no longer applies.

I second (or third) the suggestion that you visit, drive around, and hang out for at least a week. I don't know squat about Mason other than 30 years ago it was a small town, and has since paved over all the cornfields and wooded areas to become a big-sprawl city.

If I were moving back to town with children, I'd be looking living within the Wyoming or Madeira school districts because of the schools' quality, the quality of the neighborhoods, and the neighborhoods' proximity to the city core.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Hahahaha, I LMAO over that.

Seriously, though, if you lived here you would know that Kentucky has evolved. Maybe its just my prejudice, but Kentucky has really lovely people. Conservative, well mannered, and, frankly, beautiful women. It is a great place for food having the best of southern cuisine without the weirdness of the deep south.

And, Krogers has evolved too. You can buy organic everything there. They have gone to this boutique approach with little areas in each store for organic, health food, holistic remedies, flower shop, etc. I doubt you can get better meat and produce than at Kroger. And, if you want a whole cooked turkey and dressing for Thanksgiving, carry out, Krogers is the place. But, there is something to say for a store like Fresh Market.

Regardless, you will love Cincinnati and Krogers, and Kentucky when you move back. A person who can live in Manhatten can live anywhere, but, in Cincinnati you won't have to give up all the amenities.

Also, I like to point out that Cincinnati is very egalitarian. If you want to join a golf club, tennis or squash club, you probably will be able to do so unless you have some horrible resume item like sex offender or equivalent.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Trader Joe's.
I think I've heard of Trader Joes. Hmm sounds like this fear is really unfounded. Thanks! This was a fear I had about moving anywhere not just to Cincy.

Quote:
And as you have pointed out, Cincinnati is not NYC.
So true, but its probably less different than when I moved away. I was in Hyderabad last week and parts of it were not that much different than NYC

Quote:
I dunno about duck fat; that's the kind of thing I have to avoid and still maintain my girlish figure.
But its soooo delicious... Plus isn't part of the reason to move to the midwest that I can put on a few extra pounds an be concidered skinny (kidding)

Quote:
big-sprawl city.
^^^-combined with other posts about McMansions makes me think this area isn't so great

Quote:
If I were moving back to town with children, I'd be looking living within the Wyoming or Madeira school districts because of the schools' quality, the quality of the neighborhoods, and the neighborhoods' proximity to the city core.
Thanks, very helpful

Also, this was my first "multi-quote". I think it worked.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 PM

kging = troll

Why try to help him/her/it ?

I'm very helpful to those that act like adults, otherwise forget about it.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Kging... For ahile there I thought there may be some hope, as you seemed to mellow and temper some of your statements. But as you continue to go on, please stay where you are.
. Not everyone in KY is a Redneck. There are actually quite a few very reasonable and personable people who live there.
. The Appalachians who moved to Ohio to seek a better life are similar. Trying to better yourself is not a direct reason for censure.
. The Midwest Mentality is still alive and well here. Though you may not understand it, I believe it follows the old biblical standard of Do unto others as you want to be done to (not exactly quoted).

I will get off my soap-box now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati