Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 AM

19 posts, read 28,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I just hope the OP finds a school district where they teach a remedial spelling class for adults. I'd say that definitely should be Priority One, even more important than the proximity to Whole Foods.

I like Goyguy's commentary on the Wyoming school system. If I had school-age children I'd move heaven and earth to live in that district, probably even if it meant renting.
Thanks. very mature. make fun of somones spelling in a forum. are you an english teacher? guess you couldn't understand the post with all the errors.

It is helpful to know that Wyoming has good schools however, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Does this house back up to Edgewater? Yeeeeeeeee-ha!

This thread is too much fun. Kinda like when a co-worker here in Philadelphia (who's never been west of the Susquehanna River) was surprised when he found out I liked sushi, because he didn't think anyone in Cincinnati had heard of sushi. Oy.
How is this surprising?!?!?

I had never heard of Sushi before I left Cincy. 20 years ago Sushi was exotic. I guess I have a 1980s view of Ohio. Unfortunatley, I have no family left in the area so I have rarely been back.

In my head the nicest restaraunts in Ohio are Applebees (which BTW I have never been to, so they might be really nice)

Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I was especially amused by the OP's trollish comments about Kentucky, having spent most of my adult life in Lexington. I admit I found it dull, but nobody can say it's not affluent and plenty snooty.
Lexington is the only place I have ever even been in KY. My sister lived there for 2 years while her husband went to school. I thought it was one of the most backward places I've ever been. Agree on the dull.

Seriously, I think maybe KY has made a resurgance? Growing up in Cincy in the 70s and 80s, KY was generally looked upon negatively. I didn't think neg comments about it here would generate such disdain.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kging View Post
Thanks. very mature. make fun of somones spelling in a forum. are you an english teacher? guess you couldn't understand the post with all the errors.

It is helpful to know that Wyoming has good schools however, thanks.
No, I'm not a teacher, but you should still be thanking me for bringing the spelling problem to your attention. There's no real consequence for bad spelling here, other than people laughing at you, but in the real world it can be a detriment. Or more likely it already has been.

You're welcome!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Yea, I let that one go by. But, the thread is fun. The average New Yorker is really a schlub, they know nothing about middle America, but they are loyal to NYC beyond all reason. Don't get me wrong, I like NYC. It would be a great place to live if you didn't have to work and had a couple million per year in disposable income. Great lifestyle. Limo out front, door man building. Walk to museums and theaters. Great restaurants all up and down the Upper East and West Sides. Etc., etc., etc.

But, the average New Yorker has a really miserable existence. Housing cost for a person making 250,000 per year and living in the city can easily be 60-70% of take home pay. And that doesn't get much. 2 bedrooms two baths, no view. Of course they don't want a car - they can't afford one. And the trafffic is so bad they can't drive it anywhere. The average price to park a car in Manhattan is $431/month. And most New Yorkers never ever go to the theater or a museum. And, they spend hours commuting. The work day for a young lawyer in NYC is 8 to 8 unless something is going on, then its 8-10pm. And, go to a grocery in the city. Want some cookies? They have two choices. Want some fresh vegetables? They look like they started their journey from California about two weeks ago and probably did.

And for persons of lesser income, a $300,000 condo in Park Slope (equivalent to Norwood) and across the bridge in Brooklyn will get you 400 square feet. About the size of a single wide trailer.

And, the % of persons who are college graduates in Lexington Kentucky is probably twice that of NYC, not that college means that a person is a good person.

So when someone from the city comes down here and starts talking lifestyle I just have to laugh. Go back to NYC and see what $300K gets you.
This is so true (if not a little bit of an exageration)

Thats the whole reason for wanting to move to Ohio. We could live off one income instead of us both working. We can buy a home (not a townhouse or condo) for less than we paid in taxes on our 1200sft 3br. Not to mention not having to pay to park our car.

I like too cook. So I said I would like to live near a wholefoods. My memory of Krogers is of one of the worst grocery stores. Would be a huge impact to my "lifestyle" to not have access to high qaulity produce and ingredients. I'm not saying it has to exactly be a wholefoods, but a typical misdwestern grocery isn't going to make me happy.

As you also indicate I have been working 80-100 hour weeks for years. Time for that to end.

I almost never go to museums. I am willing to give up going to the theater and have cut way back on dining out at high end restaraunts.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kging View Post
I guess I have a 1980s view of Ohio.
More like 1880s. Perhaps you should edumacate yourself before you start making unfounded exaggerations, building upon incorrect assumptions, and insulting people and their way of life.

One more thing ... Multi-quote feature. Embrace it.

Oh, wait, one more thing ... People with pickup trucks grow the high-quality produce you're so hot after.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not a teacher, but you should still be thanking me for bringing the spelling problem to your attention. There's no real consequence for bad spelling here, other than people laughing at you, but in the real world it can be a detriment. Or more likely it already has been.

You're welcome!
I started to respond, but decided not. Did a search on some of your other posts and you actually are generally a very well spoken and thoughtful responder, so I apologize for provoking you (but I will never spell check a forum post).

In particular I saw this post:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...ing-ny-oh.html

This person asked a similar question to mine but not nearly a tactlessly as I did. You said Fairfield (which BTW is where I was born, my father worked in Hamitlon) was a little too "white-bread". Thats my biggest fear about Mason. Do you have the same view of that? (provided you can look past my snobishness and misspelling).

Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I just love that term diversity. Tried to look it up - not sure I have ever encountered a move vague series of definitions. Let me see - if you and I completely agree we are obviously not diverse. If we disagree, we may be diverse but to what extent. If we totally disagree we may be polar opposites. Please identify to me what diversity means to you. Not exactly like me, but to what extent apart?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
More like 1880s. Perhaps you should edumacate yourself before you start making unfounded exaggerations, building upon incorrect assumptions, and insulting people and their way of life.

One more thing ... Multi-quote feature. Embrace it.

Oh, wait, one more thing ... People with pickup trucks grow the high-quality produce you're so hot after.
You clearly just want to argue and be mean. I apologized and explained about the comments about KY. Didn't think I insulted anyones "way-of-life". sheesh.

Seriously. How do you get food if not at the Krogers. I'm not even that concerned about organic. But if I wanted some Swiss chard, would I have to drive 100 miles to get some? What if I wanted a potatoe that wasn't a russet? Would I be able to buy duck fat or would I have to buy a duck and render my own? I'm not trying to be ignorant, I really just don't know.

As someone else pointed out the average A&P in NYC is terrible. You have to go to a farmers market or the wholefoods if you want any level of quality. I assumed all grocery stores were like the A&P because thats how I remeber Krogers growing up. Am I wrong?

As far as the pickup trucks. Apology on that too. Obviously there are good reasons to own one, like being in construction, or owning a farm.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
I don't know enough about Mason to answer your question. Kroger certainly has changed, but if their large, new-concept superstores aren't upscale enough for you (indeed, I don't recall ever seeing rendered duck fat at Kroger), there's always Jungle Jim's which as I understand it has a national if not international reputation for its enormous size and selection.

Look, I was away from Cincinnati for more than 30 years before I moved back 9 years ago. Granted, I did visit occasionally so I observed some changes, both good and bad. There have been many, just as there are everywhere.

I think you and your family would be well advised to plan to visit and spend at least a week or two in the Cincinnati area so you can observe the current state of affairs. I've seen a lot of assumptions in your various postings which I doubt you would be making if you'd spent time here recently. Then you can make a much more informed decision as to whether this area's for you or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati