Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM

350 posts, read 880,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Seek help.
Wilson, I find myself agreeing with you on a lot of issues that come up on these boards and your accomplishments in the restoration and management of your properties are commendable. That said, you couldn't be further off when it comes to certain neighborhoods and your biased, kneejerk reactions to them: I've seen too many retractions and recants after you settle down a bit, and actually think it through, usually after about five posts.

Also your lawyer talk is tired and this isn't a courtroom. Your take was wrong and in order to deflect, you call BS to some pretty obvious stuff. But Paul is not on trial here and you calling BS to what I've seen personally is insulting, but typical of your boorish style. I have other choice words regarding your recent posts but the Terms we agree to, to post here kind of limit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
Wilson, I find myself agreeing with you on a lot of issues that come up on these boards and your accomplishments in the restoration and management of your properties are commendable. That said, you couldn't be further off when it comes to certain neighborhoods and your biased, kneejerk reactions to them: I've seen too many retractions and recants after you settle down a bit, and actually think it through, usually after about five posts.

Also your lawyer talk is tired and this isn't a courtroom. Paul's not on trial here and you calling BS to what I've seen personally is insulting, but typical of your boorish style. I have other choice words regarding your recent posts but the Terms we agree to, to post here kind of limit them.
Well, you saw his personal insults to me as the post of the year, so live with it. I called BS and BS it is. I am quite tired myself of being preached at.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
CincyRider

I think Wilsons ego has been bruised he dosent seem to like being stood up to. Enough said about that.

I'll be sure to tell the builder who built the 300K condos in our Indy neighborhood and the builders that built the 300-750,000 infill houses in Holy Cross that according to Wilson the neighborhood is a bunch of 75K houses, they will get a big kick out of that.

But to get BACK to topic CincyRider , MSD did their presentation on the Lick Run 'daylighting" project to the West Side preservation Summit held earlier this summer.

The project is pretty interesting overall as it has several west side components dealing with things like permeable parking lots, a number of "rain garden' projects throughtout Westwood and Fairmount. They are going to have some more meetings about it and If I get notice of them I will be sure to let you know when and where they are having them.

The centerpiece of the project appears to be the daylighting of 1200 foot of the Lick Run Creek between Western Hills and Queencity Blvd. This will result in some demolition of mostly non contributing/non historic structures. It also looks like they will eliminate the pool /baseball courts and create a greenspace park in the area.

The artist conceptions prepared for the project look quite interesting with upscale streetscape and lighting on Queen city East of Harrison and new "old style' lighting throughout the area. Looks very "Hyde Parkish". I think that much money poured into infrastructure improvements should be a big boom to the area. The North side of Queen city has some fairly good commercial buildings and some mixed use that would make good restoration. They are also working on improvements to Harrison as part of that big project that goes all the way up through Westwood to Cheviot.

MSD and the city is all over the westside right now making road and sewer infrastructure improvements. As a matter of fact they just repaired the sewers on the side street by our house and they have also done some of the other side streets. We are also getting some repaving as well. They just repaved an entire street down the hill from our house and it looks like they have some others set. Personally i'm quite happy about that as it appears the city may no longer be writing our neighborhood off if they are making infrastructure investments.

Imagine that, the city making improvements to the Westside!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post

Also your lawyer talk is tired and this isn't a courtroom. Your take was wrong and in order to deflect, you call BS to some pretty obvious stuff. But Paul is not on trial here and you calling BS to what I've seen personally is insulting, but typical of your boorish style. I have other choice words regarding your recent posts but the Terms we agree to, to post here kind of limit them.
If you always let Wilson have the last word when he disagrees with you or flames you, no argument can develop. This works for me. 100 percent of the time.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
i think questioning restorationconsultant's honesty is ridiculous and unfair. this isn't a political arena or, like Rider said, a courtroom. Let's try to be at least a little civilized.

I will say that restoration consultant has been extremely generous with his time and provided me with invaluable advice in a variety of DM and emails. I was just about to pull the trigger on a house, sent pictures to paul, and after what must have been an hour or more critically viewing the photos, he responded with incredibly astute and thoughtful comments. The kind of comments and insight that only come from someone with a tremendous amount of experience in the field. From HVAC to ceiling medallions, he is certainly one of the most knowledgeable people in the field. And the amount of FREE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE he has provided both me personally and this forum as a whole is incredibly remarkeable.

I certainly hope the comments of one member don't keep people like restoration who have real, first-hand experience and knowledge out of our forum.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Ditto on the little more civilized.

Sometimes, people of knowledge who feel they need to make a point come off like a little too much preaching. This may not be intended, but can be the way it is received. In general, people do not like to be talked down to. The self-professed expert saying listen to me I have ALL the answers will eventually not be well received.

Since I joined this forum, I have been reading many opinions on how the suburbs are going to rapidly decay. Do I believe this, He*l No! When the majority of Americans give up their cars for a bicycle, actually support mass transit, and go back to walking as their desired method of transportation, I may change my mind. But frankly I do not expect to live long enough to see it.

In the mean time, let's treat each other and our opinions with respect. At 71 years I feel entitled to mine, but also must recognize yours.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb G'Morning Prog...G'Morning All

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i think questioning restorationconsultant's honesty is ridiculous and unfair. this isn't a political arena or, like Rider said, a courtroom. Let's try to be at least a little civilized.

I will say that restoration consultant has been extremely generous with his time and provided me with invaluable advice in a variety of DM and emails. I was just about to pull the trigger on a house, sent pictures to paul, and after what must have been an hour or more critically viewing the photos, he responded with incredibly astute and thoughtful comments. The kind of comments and insight that only come from someone with a tremendous amount of experience in the field. From HVAC to ceiling medallions, he is certainly one of the most knowledgeable people in the field. And the amount of FREE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE he has provided both me personally and this forum as a whole is incredibly remarkeable.

I certainly hope the comments of one member don't keep people like restoration who have real, first-hand experience and knowledge out of our forum.
LOL...I'm gonna play devil's advocate here for a minute...Wilson and I have bumped heads here on more than one occasion (hey Wilson---the infamous Smitty's thread LOL) and while I admit he can be a bit truculent and combative sometimes, I've sorta gotten to 'know' him, and I'm not gonna kick him to the curb just yet...

On topic...man, RC and Cincy-Rise, Goyguy, Hartwell Girl, you Progmac, and even in his own way Wilson---that's a 'Cincinnati education' faculty that's second to none...I've been here in SW Ohio for 5 yrs now, and I've learned more here on C-D about the area than I ever could form the Chamber Of Commerce...RC (that's short for RestorationConsultant), you have let me know in this thread alone so much about the hidden treasures here in the city---thank you so much for, as Prog says, giving of your time and wisdom to someone as innately curious as me...

And that in no way slights the rest of you, or anyone else I didn't list here...I love this area, and this city, even though I'm not a resident per se'...Go Reds, Go Queen City, Go Middletown

Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
wilson is one of our most valued contributors - he's been posting longer and more consistently than me - i didn't mean to infer otherwise. but what amounts to questioning one's integrity i don't think is appropriate. and thanks for the kind words captain

Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Bravo KJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Ditto on the little more civilized.

Sometimes, people of knowledge who feel they need to make a point come off like a little too much preaching. This may not be intended, but can be the way it is received. In general, people do not like to be talked down to. The self-professed expert saying listen to me I have ALL the answers will eventually not be well received.

Since I joined this forum, I have been reading many opinions on how the suburbs are going to rapidly decay. Do I believe this, He*l No! When the majority of Americans give up their cars for a bicycle, actually support mass transit, and go back to walking as their desired method of transportation, I may change my mind. But frankly I do not expect to live long enough to see it.

In the mean time, let's treat each other and our opinions with respect. At 71 years I feel entitled to mine, but also must recognize yours.
The last line of your post spoke volumes...that's why, when my 83-yr old Mom-in-law speaks, the Captain listens...there is much value, to me, in the words of those who came before me---and I hope you keep right on speaking your mind

Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
As someone who grew up on the westside and who is currently restoring in prospect hill here are my feelings on the preservation and gentrification issues on going over there. The big question I have is while there may be a few handfuls of out of towners doing some amazing restoration work over is it enough to offset the many long timers who are fleeing westwood, price hill, covedale for places like hidden valley, lawrenceburn, west harrison etc? If you have 10 families moving in for every 50 leaving the westside is not going to end up improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati