Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan06 View Post
Then I told them it's Cincinnati and they still had the same responses. I guess being located in the midwest is what primarily gives Ohio it's bad reputation. Idk...
On top of being number one on this list...

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/m...neighborhoods/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post

25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop
please read the methodology. the study only looked at over the rhine, and it looked at its crime data from, i believe, 5 years ago. OTR is changing so fast that any study based in the past one year wouldn't even have OTR on the list. today OTR is literally the kind of place where change (ahem, gentrification) can be measured in months, not years.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:

Yeah, did you look at the whole list? Virtually every major city in the US has pockets of high crime rates. From the data I saw they were talking of an area about 2,000 population, hardly representative of Greater Cincinnati as a whole.

I will take the Midwest any day compared to either coast. Talk about dog-eat-dog mentality, just talk to anyone who relocates from there.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Every now and then it makes sense to step back and take a long view of these malcontents who thrive on posting their horror stories about how they couldn't make any friends or people were mean to them or there wasn't anything to do, blah, blah, blah.

Look, isn't it really apparent that the problem is solely with the malcontents? There are happy people everywhere. You don't have to argue specifics about this. Go to Gary Indiana, the armpit of the nation, or Newark, NJ or Oakland CA and you will find that most people are happy, have friends and activities they enjoy, etc. Of course, if you live in a ghetto where drug addicts come and prostitution is rampant and people are all on public assistance you will not find a lot of happy people. And most cities have these places where the disordered, the sociopathic and the addicted settle. Cincinnati is no exception, almost nowhere is.

But, to listen and respond to anecdotal complaints from the malcontented other than with an expression of empathy seems to me a waste of time.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
You know what, Wilson? If this were 1987 and you asked me how I liked Cincinnati, I'd have given you a "malcontent" answer. I hated it, couldn't make any friends, was bored all the time, people were weird old-fashioned, stuck in the past, etc.

I hated Cincinnati for the first five years I lived there, maybe more. But I gave it time and learned to love it. (even though the people are weird and stuck in the past Guess I just became one of them ...)

So perhaps the problem is impatience and an I-want-it-now mentality. Society's growing insistence on instant gratification. Etc.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:12 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,720,605 times
Quote:

W .... T .... F???

So, a doctor and a team of marketing and sales experts can design a piece of software that will tell me how "dangerous" my neighborhood is?!

On top of that, how can there be a "ranking" system when some of the comparable metros/cities don't even report their city's statistics to the FBI?! So if it's the 4th most dangerous city there's a 3-spot -/+ margin of error to make up for the non-reporting metros? Jesus...

Does this sound completely moronic to anyone else?

Old 06-10-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
W .... T .... F???

So, a doctor and a team of marketing and sales experts can design a piece of software that will tell me how "dangerous" my neighborhood is?!

On top of that, how can there be a "ranking" system when some of the comparable metros/cities don't even report their city's statistics to the FBI?! So if it's the 4th most dangerous city there's a 3-spot -/+ margin of error to make up for the non-reporting metros? Jesus...

Does this sound completely moronic to anyone else?

LOL...I'm not even from your area man. I just came across this article and it informed me of a specific hot spot of crime in your area without even knowing what parts of town are good to live in or not. Isn't that what this is 'city-data'? I thought it would be good to use this info for people who do want to know where to stay away from in your city.

But if you're saying that you would live in that neighborhood that ranks number one on the list then I guess that area has changed then right? Would you walk around that area?

Old 06-11-2010, 04:04 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:

But if you're saying that you would live in that neighborhood that ranks number one on the list then I guess that area has changed then right? Would you walk around that area?
If you go to the couple of blocks in OTR to buy drugs or purchase sex services, it is a very dangerous place.

But, if you are a student at the Art Academy of Cincinnati (one of the finest art colleges in the US, or the School for Performing Arts (one of the nations best high schools specializing in entertainment), or a parent you won't ever experience crime. Or, if you are living in one of the newly renovated condos or attending a Symphony at Music Hall or buying fresh produce at historical Findlay Market, everything will be all right. Here's a link or two to get some real information on OTR:

Over-the-Rhine Chamber of Commerce :: Over-the-Rhine Chamber of Commerce

Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, OH - iRhine.com - History of OTR: Introduction

Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If you go to the couple of blocks in OTR to buy drugs or purchase sex services, it is a very dangerous place.

But, if you are a student at the Art Academy of Cincinnati (one of the finest art colleges in the US, or the School for Performing Arts (one of the nations best high schools specializing in entertainment), or a parent you won't ever experience crime. Or, if you are living in one of the newly renovated condos or attending a Symphony at Music Hall or buying fresh produce at historical Findlay Market, everything will be all right. Here's a link or two to get some real information on OTR:

Over-the-Rhine Chamber of Commerce :: Over-the-Rhine Chamber of Commerce

Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, OH - iRhine.com - History of OTR: Introduction

I guess it isn't as bad in Cincinnati as I thought from the rankings in the list I posted then right?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
Quote:
That's what i'm saying. It has really changed that much. The good blocks are all but completely gentrified and the bad blocks that are left...well there is nothing to do there anyways but buy sex or drugs, and there is little evidence of 'spillover' between the two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati