Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times

Advertisements

When someone specifies Mt. Adams and Hyde PArk and has a "target" of $1000/mo which seems to indicate some room above that, I read between the lines and conclude that the person is seeking the best close in neighborhoods and will get a luxury 2 bedroom apartment. No disrespect to the excellent housing choices elsewhere, but I peg the demographics of the OP as Hyde Park, not Hartwell (no disrespect HG) or Springrove Village, etc.

Gaslight Clifton is the only other suggestion I would make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:24 PM

14 posts, read 28,210 times
You could probably find a decent 2-br in Mt. Adams in your price range but you have to be on the ball. My sister has a very nice, sunny, clean 1BR right off of the main drag that she pays $700/month for, but she was the first person to view it and put a deposit down that day. (The upstairs apt is for rent and is a 1BR for $750 incl. parking if you're interested.) She just went to view a spacious 2BR for $895 a couple of streets over.

I'm no expert but I'm looking in Mt. Adams myself and have been surprised at the diversity of options there. Mostly you have expensive rents for $1K+ but I've come across some small or oddly laid out apartments for much cheaper. It seems like you could find a luxurious 1BR in your price range and maybe a slightly less desirable 2BR.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
When someone specifies Mt. Adams and Hyde PArk and has a "target" of $1000/mo which seems to indicate some room above that, I read between the lines and conclude that the person is seeking the best close in neighborhoods and will get a luxury 2 bedroom apartment.
Haha, the last time I paid rent in Cincinnati it was for a whopping $325, so I've been clueless about rents for almost 20 years. And me being the cheapskate I am, I focused on the "less expensive the better."

Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,335,038 times
Have you considered downtown? There are a few nice apartment buildings within walking distance of fountain square. You could probably find a 2-bdrm for 1000-1200/month. I always recommend the Gramercy off of Piatt Park. I lived there, and the management are some of the friendliest people I've met.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Haha, the last time I paid rent in Cincinnati it was for a whopping $325, so I've been clueless about rents for almost 20 years. And me being the cheapskate I am, I focused on the "less expensive the better."
Don't start a new career as a sales person.

When someone walks in and wants to spend 1000+, find something for him at 1200 and he will be happier than if you scale him back to 900 which is really what he could get by with in Hyde PArk. But, at 1200 or so he can be happier. After all, does anyone really need a BMW?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
$1,200 a month for an apartment? Shows you how old I am. When I first moved into my house, the mortgage was under $400 a month, and that included an equity account for the property taxes and homeowner's insurance. The bank finally contacted me and asked if I would please close out the mortgage, they would switch the balance to a home equity loan at less interest.

Even at today's inflated rates, $1,200 per month for an apartment seems high to me. Can't one of you restoration minded people steer this person to a house to buy?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
$1,200 a month for an apartment? Shows you how old I am. When I first moved into my house, the mortgage was under $400 a month, and that included an equity account for the property taxes and homeowner's insurance. The bank finally contacted me and asked if I would please close out the mortgage, they would switch the balance to a home equity loan at less interest.

Even at today's inflated rates, $1,200 per month for an apartment seems high to me. Can't one of you restoration minded people steer this person to a house to buy?
No one wants to do the work any more. I have a two family house on the nicest street in central Hyde Park that someone could buy for 60-70% of what the three houses next to it have sold for this year and no one is interested. Because, it will take about $50k and some labor to increase its value by 100K. First, you can't get equity lines on newly acquired houses any more and no one makes signature loans like they did when you were starting out.

The OP could buy a condo in the Regency for about a 1000 a month though which is what I would do.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Don't start a new career as a sales person.
No danger there.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Exclamation Wilson? Duuuude---You've Been Holding Out!

Quote:
No one wants to do the work any more. I have a two family house on the nicest street in central Hyde Park that someone could buy for 60-70% of what the three houses next to it have sold for this year and no one is interested. Because, it will take about $50k and some labor to increase its value by 100K. First, you can't get equity lines on newly acquired houses any more and no one makes signature loans like they did when you were starting out.

The OP could buy a condo in the Regency for about a 1000 a month though which is what I would do.
A 2-family in Hyde Park? You sly landlord, you! And nobody has even sniffed at that property? Wow...you'd think the words 'available' and "Hyde Park" in the same sentence would have people taking numbers just to see the house...

But then I saw the part about how much money and labor it would take to get it up to snuff, and I understood...I've JUST NOW (thanks to Mrs Catfish) gotten into the serious end of what it takes to keep a house up and running, so I can totally sympathize to a point with those who've kept their distance from the house

Old 05-27-2010, 08:10 AM

279 posts, read 718,546 times
Yeah I was thinking that too but the poster specifically asked for rent info so maybe they aren't planning on living here that long, I dunno. With interest rates at ridiculous lows, housing still in the pooper, I am shocked more renters who are planning on being here awhile aren't looking to buy. Shame to have missed that free 8 Gs from the gov't though.

Whoops, forgot to hit quote on Kjbrill's most recent reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati