Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I would even consider Oregon and Nevada part of the Southwest, as well as Hawaii.

If you're serious, I can see Nevada, but Hawai'i and Oregon? No way, Jose. Oregon is firmly PNW, and Hawai'i is it's own region, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Is this a trick question? Because it is in the Southwest.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
SoCal is the Southwest. Jefferson is the Northwest. Everything between is the Midwest.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM

98 posts, read 163,641 times
it is technically southwest by map, but i guarantee you almost everyone that lives in southern california( los angeles, orange county, san diego county) would never want to live in the real southwest (new mexico, arizona, basically desert areas). coastal cali is separate from the rest of the southwest just like people in seattle and portland would never want to live in east washington and east oregon. coastal areas are imo separate from everything else.

i live in san diego and i would rather live up the coast in seattle than inland like phoenix or new mexico or vegas.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
Because California is in the Southwestern part of the United States. What kind of dumb question is this?

IF you mean desert Southwest, almost no one in real life does. California is a region onto itself that maybe only Nevada can be apart of simply because most Nevada residents live within an hour of the CA border.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:28 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
The cities and people/culture in the Imperial Valley is closer to a Southwest vibe than one you will find in the coastal regions of California.

IMO, the Southwest begins on the western edges of the Mohave and Sonora Deserts.

The same thing can be said of the Pacific Northwest beginning north of Redding, CA

Old 09-01-2014, 06:55 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I would even consider Oregon and Nevada part of the Southwest, as well as Hawaii.
The area of Nevada South of Tonopah could easily be considered part of the Southwest, as well as Southern Utah and Southwestern Colorado.

Northern Nevada definitely isn't the Southwest, and Oregon? How is that even a consideration? Oregon is quintessential NORTHwest. Hawaii isn't even part of any region.

I wonder how this thread would have gone if it had been posted in the California forum?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
The area of Nevada South of Tonopah could easily be considered part of the Southwest, as well as Southern Utah and Southwestern Colorado.

Northern Nevada definitely isn't the Southwest, and Oregon? How is that even a consideration? Oregon is quintessential NORTHwest. Hawaii isn't even part of any region.

I wonder how this thread would have gone if it had been posted in the California forum?
It would have ended on the first page with everyone in agreement

Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 PM

98 posts, read 163,641 times
and another question

why is only washington and oregon considered northwest, no one ever talks about idaho, montana and wyoming as part of the northwest even though they are in the 25% of the usa that is northwest

its not as simple as breaking down the usa into 4 equal regions of NE, NW, SE, and SW.

pretty simple, most of california is not southwest, much of the "mountain states" are not northwest even if by map.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaproblem39 View Post
and another question

why is only washington and oregon considered northwest, no one ever talks about idaho, montana and wyoming as part of the northwest even though they are in the 25% of the usa that is northwest

its not as simple as breaking down the usa into 4 equal regions of NE, NW, SE, and SW.

pretty simple, most of california is not southwest, much of the "mountain states" are not northwest even if by map.
People sometimes include Oregon, Washington, Idaho and western Montana as the greater "Northwest". Sometimes people differentiate this from the Pacific Northwest which can include everything from all of Oregon and Washington but sometimes is just considered to be Oregon and Washington west of the Cascades(and sometimes get's expanded to include everything along the coast from Southeast Alaska to Northern California).

I've seen descriptions that refer to the entire Columbia River Basin as being part of the "Northwest". People break up the US into a lot of regional or cultural divisions, but sometimes those get overstated. Much of Oregon and Washington has more in common with the Rocky Mountain states than the common stereotypes of the Pacific Northwest, but part of the misconception is assuming that Pacific Northwest is only those stereotypes to begin with.

Though I'd say the "Southwest" refers to a specific region with some shared traits--both in terms of environment and culture---but even then you have a mix from the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas to Flagstaff to Phoenix to the mountains of New Mexico to maybe El Paso and West Texas. Drier desert country punctuated by red rocks or higher mountain climates with a cultural history that mixes Native American influences with earlier Hispanic settlers and the culture of the Old West(with some Mormon influences on the edges as well as you get into Utah).

California has some of this historically, it differs more so though a lot of it was built up earlier with the population influx of the Gold Rush and then migration later in the late 1800s/early 1900s(and a different mix in the coastal urban centers)--but I think in part it's also just because much of the environment of California is milder and more Mediterranean or coastal than the extremes of the Desert Southwest--though at the same time inland California can be just as hot as the Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City