Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,324 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking today.. After browsing through many forums that classify California as part of the Southwest, I'm sorta curious as to why they do that.

I've always thought of the Southwest as (traditionally) Arizona, Texas (or parts thereof), southern Colorado, southern Utah, and New Mexico. The reason why I DON'T include California in the Southwest is because it has a completely different culture, almost one entirely of its own. The food is different, a lot of slang can be different, the lifestyle is different, and even the ways they became territories and states are VERY different.

For example, California has a VERY materialistic culture- Everyone wants to be as flashy or sophisticated as their wallet will allow. New or leased cars every other few years, flashy jewelry, clothing, and cars, HUGE houses, and a general attitude that one is constantly being judged.

On the other hand, people in the Southwestern states who have a lot of money (exceptions can be made for Texans with caddies and all that, People who live in Phoenix, Santa Fe, and Scottsdale) don't seem very keen on showing it. Instead, they invest their money into land or livestock (or both) and make their living that way, so they often have the semblance of not having as much money when they actually have quite a lot (Case in point: my boss, who owns a small restaurant in the middle of nowhere, has several million dollars in trusts and land holdings but instead chooses to farm.. and run the restaurant.. and drive a Chevy pickup.. and run a restaurant.. and lives in a log house)

What say you? Do you really think that California is part of the Southwest? Do you think that it is something entirely of its own? Or is it part of some "Pacific Coast" group including Oregon and Washington? Is California really just doing the "old money from the East Coast" thing but with a different spin?

Last edited by 2goldens; 06-10-2010 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
California is not part of the Southwest...it is what is affectionately called the Left Coast

Old 06-09-2010, 11:50 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Check the map, it's located in the south west part of the USA, hence the South West.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Oooh lovely! Another Californian-bashing thread!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 AM

Not meant to be a CA bashing thread. Also, thanks for the obvious answer there, bud.
California is "literally" in the southern half of the US, and in the western portion of it. I suppose what I meant to ask was why people include it in with the other states when it is clearly something in another category entirely?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Not meant to be a CA bashing thread. Also, thanks for the obvious answer there, bud.
California is "literally" in the southern half of the US, and in the western portion of it. I suppose what I meant to ask was why people include it in with the other states when it is clearly something in another category entirely?
Because geographically speaking, California IS within the Southwest portion of the US and should be categorized along with the others.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:51 AM

I guess that's what I get for sharing a thought after work, at 11:30 at night.

Nevermind.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:56 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Technically speaking, California extends from Crescent City in the north near the Oregon border, all the way south to Cabo San Lucas.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
They also include Nevada in the southwest. Part of it is, just like part of Calif is. But I always considered Calif as west. Because it's as far west as you can go before hitting the ocean.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:04 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
For example, California has a VERY materialistic culture- Everyone wants to be as flashy or sophisticated as their wallet will allow. New or leased cars every other few years, flashy jewelry, clothing, and cars, HUGE houses, and a general attitude that one is constantly being judged.
As long as we're making sweeping generalizations in this thread... going by the example the OP set, everyone in New Mexico must be myopic, video game playing, narrow-minded college kids with problems communicating what they mean to say.

Alrighty then. Now I'll get back to counting my money and flashy jewelry inside my flashy and sophisticated 1500 square foot HUGE house built in 1943, with the 1997 third-hand former Hertz rental car with the paint falling off of it parked in the garage here in the barrio of South Fontana.

I LOVE being materialistic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City