Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the worst unjustified reputation?
New York City 11 11.22%
Chicago 6 6.12%
Philadelphia 15 15.31%
Los Angeles 7 7.14%
Atlanta 9 9.18%
Miami 3 3.06%
Houston 6 6.12%
Memphis 3 3.06%
New Orleans 9 9.18%
Charlotte 1 1.02%
Las Vegas 2 2.04%
San Francisco 1 1.02%
Washington DC 6 6.12%
Baltimore 16 16.33%
Seattle 3 3.06%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
.I forgot
Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
What makes you think that? Crime has been on a steady decline in most cities since the early 90s...or are you just hoping that crime goes up?
I didn't want to say those crack babies finally grew up.

Everything happens in cycles. Do you think crime will be low forever?

Its just the lull before the storm

Last edited by killakoolaide; 06-10-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 AM

170 posts, read 391,329 times
the poll title says unjustified, so that kinda threw my choice out the window..

because the most "justified" on that poll to me is philly..and its mainly due to crime and rude sports fans

Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
Several major US cities are thought to be synonymous with impoliteness, shortness of patience or excessive crime but after visiting the location first hand, your experience is almost always the exact opposite.

Which US city do you feel has the most unfounded negative connotation associated with it and why.

Have fun!
Orlando because people only see the tourist designated area.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
detroit. duh.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I didn't want to say those crack babies finally grew up.

Everything happens in cycles. Do you think crime will be low forever?

Its just the lull before the storm
I can understand why you wouldn't want to say all the crack babies grew up.

I don't expect crime to stay low forever...but I can see reasons as to how crime could both rise and decline:

Rise: The economic crisis has forced troubled municipalities--which are usually already under financial duress as it--to reduce staff even further than they have had to in previous times. Less police on the streets can lead to more crime on the streets. At the risk of sounding racist: the rise in Mexican population (with a major focus on illegal immigrants) could lead to more crime. As we're seeing South of the border, there seems to be very little regard for life among that particular group of criminals--moreso than most criminals. In the current drug war happening in Mexico it seems like hundreds of people are daying every day. Undocumented aliens in our country already have little to nothing to lose...what's a murder here or there?

Decline: Technology. Though we have been hit very hard by the economic crisis, government spending is up. I wouldn't be surprised to see more "police state" measures be taken in troubled neighborhoods (for example, more surveillance cameras being placed). Technology has made it easier than ever to spy on people...both at home and abroad.

As usual, the bad seems to outweigh the good...but we'll see.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Probably never considering many NYers are too proud of that image.
That's not necessarily true, I mean sadly there's people everywhere that love to brag about crime but I don't think they're referring to the 70's/80's/90's, like in NYC's case its a safe city overall but there's still some rough areas, the same could be said for mostly every city.

I think LA gets a bad rep with the gangs, I doubt they're everywhere. Like are you really gonna get caught in a drive-by right infront of your Malibu Barbie Dream House?

NYC gets a bad rep off of like 15-20 neighborhoods out of about 300-400 as well as people who still think major cities are still like they were about 15-30 years ago.

Chicago with the gangs & corruption.

Detroit is supposedly semi-abandoned.

A lot of cities have a bad rep some sort of way.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Phoenix.
I've never visited Phoenix, but I think the average person who’s never been would most likely assume it’s pretty lackluster; just like its skyline. It’s also pretty safe to assume there’s PLENTY to do in Phoenix especially considering its size, but you never hear anything about it.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 06-10-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
I've never visited Phoenix, but I think the average person who’s never been would most likely assume it’s pretty lackluster; just like its skyline. It’s also pretty safe to assume there’s PLENTY to do Phoenix especially considering its size, but you never hear anything about it.
The current economic times have put Phoenix and Las Vegas as front runners on the most "economically destroyed cities" list. Even though there are plenty of people who can find a job there, and live comfortably. It's economy isn't that great, but it's not done for good.

Also, smart choice with the public poll. Haha, did you read that post of mine in the other thread when you decided to make it a public poll about a topic similar to this? If you didn't then it was just a coincidence.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:32 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The current economic times have put Phoenix and Las Vegas as front runners on the most "economically destroyed cities" list. Even though there are plenty of people who can find a job there, and live comfortably. It's economy isn't that great, but it's not done for good.

Also, smart choice with the public poll. Haha, did you read that post of mine in the other thread when you decided to make it a public poll about a topic similar to this? If you didn't then it was just a coincidence.
'
LMAO; I did read that a while back, and I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City