Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More superior city:
Baltimore 74 50.68%
Portland, OR 72 49.32%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think people give more praise to the transit system here in Portland than it deserves. It is only light rail and buses and the slowest streetcar on earth. We have no subways thru the downtown. Our system is extensive yes but it is painfully slow and many delays. I work at the airport and there is a direct line to the airport. At night it has been taking me an hour for this trip due to delays. Only 9 miles is my commute. Thats ridiculous. The other problem with our system is Portland itself. There are riders of all types and backrounds but the majority reflect Portland. The poverty stricken, homeless and druggies, not paying their fare. The system is not used in any large amount by business people white collar types going to work. Reason being Portland's population does not reflect that type of employment like as in most big US cities.

I voted for Baltimore based on it is more of a city and reflects more of the American population both in diversity and reality. I don't think Baltimore has better transit though than Portland, but being so close to DC many tap into that system.
Wow. That is quite interesting what you say about Portlands transit. I've heard mostly good things about their transit but you bring an interesting critique to their system.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Over all both are great cities
Baltimore is more urban Pop. Density is Baltimore 7,450ppsm portland is 4,300 ppsm (vibrancy is closer though)
Waterfront goes to baltimore as it has a much nicer harbour, and many things to do right at the waterfront.
Foodie scene goes to baltimore just on crab alone
Partyness- is about the same
Transit is Portland it has a more extensive network
Portland is safer just in case your not a big fan of getting shot lol
Architechure is absolutly baltimore it has better townhomes and colonails

Old 05-26-2023, 08:12 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
In 2023.... Probably Baltimore tbh. Though it's close.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:24 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Voted with the minority.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:02 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Portland by a longshot.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:48 AM

927 posts, read 758,304 times
My friend is newly from Baltimore. Says is beautiful but the crime rate is high.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:32 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Portland's light-rail has 4 completed lines (not including the street car) with 84 stations and an average daily ridership of 121,000.

Baltimore light-rail + subway combined = 4 lines with 47 stations serving 92,300 people per day according to wiki.....
I'm really surprised Baltimore's system has that many riders; I've heard "no one" uses it while Portland is well known as a transit city.

Old 05-26-2023, 04:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm really surprised Baltimore's system has that many riders; I've heard "no one" uses it while Portland is well known as a transit city.
Those are combined numbers, so people may be referring to the “subway/metro” when they say nobody rides it. . The “subway” has like 4 stops. It’s gotta be one of, if not “the,” smallest ones in the country. I grew up in the suburbs of Baltimore and lived there for a stint and I’ve never ridden the subway, and actually never knew one existed for most of my adult life. Don’t think I know anyone who has ever ridden the subway.

Though the Light Rail, does get more ridership. I still don’t personally know anyone who uses it, and the city stops are oddly located in the city periphery, which makes it curious why people would use it. But I think it does (or at least did) get a moderate number of riders from certain Baltimore County surrounding areas. Though since 2020 and the pandemic, I would guess there’s been a significant loss in ridership. It was only moderate ridership to begin with.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:58 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Those are combined numbers, so people may be referring to the “subway/metro” when they say nobody rides it. . The “subway” has like 4 stops. It’s gotta be one of, if not “the,” smallest ones in the country. I grew up in the suburbs of Baltimore and lived there for a stint and I’ve never ridden the subway, and actually never knew one existed for most of my adult life. Don’t think I know anyone who has ever ridden the subway.

Though the Light Rail, does get more ridership. I still don’t personally know anyone who uses it, and the city stops are oddly located in the city periphery, which makes it curious why people would use it. But I think it does (or at least did) get a moderate number of riders from certain Baltimore County surrounding areas. Though since 2020 and the pandemic, I would guess there’s been a significant loss in ridership. It was only moderate ridership to begin with.
Neither the lightrail or Subway go to Howard County. I've taken the lightrail and Subway from various Jobs daily over the years. While I would say that both could be better, NIMBYism is particularly the blame from both rail's shortcomings. We can also blame Hogan for why the Redline isn't currently under construction.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:24 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
That being said I have heard nothing but good things about Portland.
What a difference a decade and some change makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City