Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you pick?? Houston or New Orleans
Houston 124 47.51%
New Orleans 119 45.59%
Neither;I'd rather put needles in my eyes because I'm just that pathetic. 18 6.90%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times

Advertisements

Culture: New Orleans is a culture unto itself. Catholic, Creole, French, Bayou, etc. etc.

Entertainment: New Orleans has the amazing French Quarter, proximity to the gulf, beaches, Lake Ponchartrain, Mississippi River, Bourbon Street, St. Charles. The character of the city itself is entertaining. Here, just read this:
Travel + Leisure says New Orleans is tops for live music, cocktails and cheap eats | NOLA.com

Food: New Orleans is world famous for it's food. Who's ever heard of "Houston Style" anything when referencing cuisine. Fresh oysters at raw bars, local Creole, haute Creole, and New Orleans French cuisines, yum yum. French, Spanish, Italian, African, Native American, Cajun, and a bit of Cuban give NOLA something reminiscent of a brand in the food category. Plus I had to say it, Emeril, among other famous chefs, have their flagship restaurants there.

Quality of Life: Houston might win here for cost of living and the jobs situation. If you prefer city life than New Orleans would be more appropriate.

People: People are people everywhere, I won't pass judgement.

Transportation: New Orleans streetcars are practically legend and have even had plays written about them. Houston's rail is urban legend since it's rumored to one day get a decent system. I can get off a streetcar anywhere in New Orleans and enjoy the benefits of a historic city with lots of charm and character. In Houston I can get off in front of a Fortune 500 office, hope they have beads. NOLA wins by default, no need for anyone to post numbers about ridership and other stats.

Overall: New Orleans. In the wake of 2005's Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans has shown so much heart. The city is rebuilding, the city weathered the storm, went the distance. The Saints are now NFL champs thus showing how the city could return to glory. One of my favorite places in Orlando has always been Church Street Station because of the neat vibe it used to have in the early 90's. After my first trip to NOLA I realized that Church Street was modeled very loosely after a New Orleans theme. Even thinking about the Mardi Gras at Universal makes my mouth water for that perfect bowl of jambalaya.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 06-18-2010 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
You might now-lol.
I highly doubt it. Most of those types have either been locked up in Texas jails/prisons or made their way back to Louisiana.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Culture: New Orleans is a culture unto itself. Catholic, Creole, French, Bayou, etc. etc.

Entertainment: New Orleans has the amazing French Quarter, proximity to the gulf, beaches, Lake Ponchartrain, Mississippi River, Bourbon Street, St. Charles. The character of the city itself is entertaining. Here, just read this:
Travel + Leisure says New Orleans is tops for live music, cocktails and cheap eats | NOLA.com

Food: New Orleans is world famous for it's food. Who's ever heard of "Houston Style" anything when referencing cuisine. Fresh oysters at raw bars, local Creole, haute Creole, and New Orleans French cuisines, yum yum. French, Spanish, Italian, African, Native American, Cajun, and a bit of Cuban give NOLA something reminiscent of a brand in the food category. Plus I had to say it, Emeril, among other famous chefs, have their flagship restaurants there.

Quality of Life: Houston might win here for cost of living and the jobs situation. If you prefer city life than New Orleans would be more appropriate.

People: People are people everywhere, I won't pass judgement.

Transportation: New Orleans streetcars are practically legend and have even had plays written about them. Houston's rail is urban legend since it's rumored to one day get a decent system. I can get off a streetcar anywhere in New Orleans and enjoy the benefits of a historic city with lots of charm and character. In Houston I can get off in front of a Fortune 500 office, hope they have beads. NOLA wins by default, no need for anyone to post numbers about ridership and other stats.

Overall: New Orleans. In the wake of 2005's Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans has shown so much heart. The city is rebuilding, the city weathered the storm, went the distance. The Saints are now NFL champs thus showing how the city could return to glory. One of my favorite places in Orlando has always been Church Street Station because of the neat vibe it used to have in the early 90's. After my first trip to NOLA I realized that Church Street was modeled very loosely after a New Orleans theme. Even thinking about the Mardi Gras at Universal makes my mouth water for that perfect bowl of jambalaya.
You are spot on today - great post - for some reason it wont let me rep anyone right now

Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 PM

As far as Gulf beaches go, New Orleans is pretty much all marsh land, even out towards it coast. It never had much to call a beach to begin with. Add that to the BP oil spill, the restaurant scene in New Orleans is going to encounter huge losses. Tourism in the city will drop to post Katrina levels if something drastic isn't done soon.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You are spot on today - great post - for some reason it wont let me rep anyone right now
I have my good days and my bad ones but thanks man, hit me up some other time then .

Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You wouldn't ever see looting & shooting at first aid responders in Houston if a natural disaster were ever to occur.
That's a lie. You put any city in that situation and watch what happens.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,148 times
I can also appreciate New Orleans for its mystery. Anyone else who’s really ventured off the freeway and into some of those inner city neighborhoods should agree that it’s a bit spooky. For some reason, certain parts of Louisa Street ALWAYS spooked me out before the hurricane, but I’ve seen some new developments there now. New Orleans has a lot more personality than Houston; that’s a major part of its charm I think.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
That's a lie. You put any city in that situation and watch what happens.
Two words. Allison & Rita

Houston is more civilized than New Orleans by far. Even its own residents were calling it a third world country.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Two words. Allison & Rita
Allison & Rita didn't destroy 80% of Houston and Houstonians weren't left in the streets for days hungry, oblivious to what was going on.
As far as being uncivilized, remind yourself that many native Houstonians as well as a large portion of Houston's culture originates from Louisiana. Why do you think Houston is so layed back? Apparently you haven't seen much of Houston inside 610.
I'm done with that one.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Allison & Rita didn't destroy 80% of Houston and Houstonians weren't left in the streets for days hungry, oblivious to what was going on.
Houston was completely under water for days, even weeks after Allison. Do you even know what the hell you are saying? Galveston was ignored after Ike, unlike New Orleans where the people got help immediately after Katrina. Galveston is having to rebuild itself with little to no help from the government. Did you see Louisiana offering to help or take people in? Hell no!

Louisiana is an important state culturally & a fun place to visit, but most of the people there are as backwards as can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City