Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you pick?? Houston or New Orleans
Houston 124 47.51%
New Orleans 119 45.59%
Neither;I'd rather put needles in my eyes because I'm just that pathetic. 18 6.90%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times

Advertisements

@ Spade: I know Houston is a big city man, relax it's big. Just the city part is not as big as you'd expect for the size of the metro (something all sunbelt cities share). Yes the variety of food is great in Houston and I've enjoyed eating during my trips there. Look at my comments in the Hou VS Orl thread and you'll see that I like Houston, just don't love it. IMO it doesn't offer the lifestyle of a true big city as it is mostly suburban even within the "inner loop." Don't get me wrong, it's a great place just very very corporate which is not something I'm thrilled about. Those are not necessarily negatives but I'd rather live in a smaller metro like New Orleans or Orlando that's geared more toward leisure activities, and therefore would argue them as being better than Houston. I enjoy theme parks, surfing, and wakeboarding more than the arts and would rather deal with less sprawl as you would agree, Houston metro is HUGE!!!! So I agree with the points you make about Houston, again I like it there, but I love it in a smaller metro with more to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 09:12 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
The only reason this poll is as it is - IS because of the tons of Houstonians on this forum.
Really? Even if true, there are also plenty of haters in the forum who vote against certain cities out of spite. I'm sure that evens things out.

Quote:
CD is a haven for them, and they promote their cities with vigor.
Doesn't everyone, if they like their city?

Would you rather they not participate, or just go along with the stereotypes and misinformation? Or maybe that's a question I shouldn't be asking, because I'm sure there are many haters who would rather have it that way...

Quote:
Most of the people from those cities subscribe to threads and have autobots out for when the words "Houston" appear, and they're on that thread like white on rice. You may think I'm joking but I'm serious.
Well that's awfully presumptuous of you. Have proof of this?
And even if there were one or two people doing it, why generalize it to everyone?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:32 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
I guess pretty comparable 17 to 17 tie. I guess the ol quality over quantity thing. Now 5 votes in a row for houston to 1 for new orleans, 22-18

Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Quite the opposite.

Houston's crime rate was LOWER than it had been in previous years before Katrina, even lower than Dallas' which was a first. The late 80's & early 90's were Houston's worst years for crime because of the Crack epidemic that hit the city so hard.

New Orleans was/is the murder capital of the country.
First, please do NOT compare Katrina to Ike/Allison--that is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous! And given the right conditions, the "civilized world" as we could know it could fall apart at any moment. Natural disasters like Katrina are only a peek at what that would be like.

Second, to say that New Orleans evacuees caused the excessive crime in the Houston area is a poor excuse and as Spade exhibitied, not even true. Houston needs to come to grips with the fact that the local police force is very sparse and exhausted for a 600 sq. mile city.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:24 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
First, please do NOT compare Katrina to Ike/Allison--that is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous! And given the right conditions, the "civilized world" as we could know it could fall apart at any moment. Natural disasters like Katrina are only a peek at what that would be like.

Second, to say that New Orleans evacuees caused the excessive crime in the Houston area is a poor excuse and as Spade exhibitied, not even true. Houston needs to come to grips with the fact that the local police force is very sparse and exhausted for a 600 sq. mile city.
It seems to common train of thought over there. I just remember the comments online and in the media after that Houston oil exec jumped in the river.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:46 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
New Orleans- Better downtown, a more vibrant culture, and better food..

I've never been too Houston, but I've been to NO, and based on the things I've heard about Houston-- New Orleans FTW.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
New Orleans- Better downtown, a more vibrant culture, and better food..

I've never been too Houston, but I've been to NO, and based on the things I've heard about Houston-- New Orleans FTW.
Well that's actually pretty bad. I would never base my views off of a city I've never been to from what I've heard from message boards or various people. Experience it with yourself with an open mind and then come up with your opinion.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well that's actually pretty bad. I would never base my views off of a city I've never been to from what I've heard from message boards or various people. Experience it with yourself with an open mind and then come up with your opinion.
Well that's why I admitted that I've never been there- I'm sure plenty of the voters here have never actually been to one or the other (or neither)

I've never been to Atlanta either, but if I was to go by what I hear and know I'd say Houston is the better city. I'll never know for sure until I've actually been to these two cities, but for now I'll just do some critical thinking

I'm very open-minded to all cities, I'm interested in maps, and I love learning more about places I've never been to- So I would think my opinion matters more than a bias one.
~

Think of it like this-
If you had the chance to go to France or Italy (I've never been to either, IDK if you have or not but lets just say you haven't) You're going to pick the one that SEEMS more appealing to you.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:11 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Fair enough

Old 06-20-2010, 05:05 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post

I think it's ignorant to say that crime didn't spike once the Katrina evacuees came. It did and the facts prove that. I was in high school and there were some fights between Houston and New Orleans people. There was a couple from NO pretending to need shelter, and they then robbed and killed an old lady, etc. Many other stories. Even History Channel's Gangland had an episode on it. Now, crime did go back down towards the middle of 2006 and kept decreasing/fluctuating to where it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City