Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brooklyn vs. Philadelphia
Brooklyn 109 52.66%
Philadelphia 98 47.34%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times

Advertisements

brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon Kirkpatrick View Post
Thanks for clarifying but still a silly comparison. Wouldn't you agree that Philly deserves the nod?

I started the thread and while Philly is a great city Brooklyn and many of the NY Boroughs are great places in and of their own. The hard part in the comparison is Brooklyn is a huge place yet part of a larger city. I think sometimes the boroughs outside of Manhattan dont get their due. Brooklyn alone compares very favorably to many cities in the US. Brooklyn is actually larger than Philly on population by a pretty wide margin. I actually thought this to be fairly competetive to compare these two.

I think part of the intent is that these bouroughs can compete against many other US cities by themselves.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I started the thread and while Philly is a great city Brooklyn and many of the NY Boroughs are great places in and of their own. The hard part in the comparison is Brooklyn is a huge place yet part of a larger city. I think sometimes the boroughs outside of Manhattan dont get their due. Brooklyn alone compares very favorably to many cities in the US. Brooklyn is actually larger than Philly on population by a pretty wide margin. I actually thought this to be fairly competetive to compare these two.

I think part of the intent is that these bouroughs can compete against many other US cities by themselves.

Good point. If Brooklyn was still a city it would easily be the 4th largest city in The US.

The other boroughs do get overlooked a lot. Although manhatten is the most dense, Brooklyn and Queens have more people, and Kings County (Brooklyn) is the second most dense county in the US

Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
i'd take brooklyn

its a closer visit to my parents in CT

Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,802 times
- Nightlife- tie
- Diversity (economy) - Philly
- Diversity (culture/people) - Brooklyn
- Languages spoken - Brooklyn
- Education - Philly
- Lifestyle - tie
- Friendly people - Brooklyn
- Climate - tie
- Medicine (Hospitals, clinics, health related things) - Philly
- Natural scenery - Philly
- Shopping - Philly
- Economy overall- Philly
- Population city proper - Brooklyn
- Benefits from location - Brooklyn
- Public Transportation - Brooklyn
- Airports - Philly
- Skyline - Philly
- Vibrancy of downtown - tie
- Museums - Philly
- Theater, Music, & Arts scene - Brooklyn
- History - Philly
- Parks - Philly
- Food - tie

While Philly definitely has the edge, Brooklyn is no sleeper by any means. It's the most populous borough and used to be its own city before being annexed by New York. If it were its own city it would be in the top 5 most populated in the US. However, Philly by a hair.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
Brooklyn.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Our skyline is pretty crappy, because most of the Brooklyn would-be skyline is actually in Manhattan.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,238 times
Two very similar areas. Good comparison.

Brooklyn is much wealthier and more gentrified, though. The rowhouses in Brooklyn are much grander.

Philly is much grittier and rough-around-the-edges.

Both are great, though.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Not really, it's actually 60-something miles southwest of Brooklyn. And unless you're on the water its not cooler, the Atlantic doesn't always cool things down so coastal sections may be just as warm if not warmer than more inland places but if there is that ocean breeze it only goes so far.
yeah, i agree. i don't know about certain points in brooklyn, but the temps in manhattan and philly are pretty similar. i always thought it would be a bit warmer when i moved down here, but i have yet to experience it. its just as freakin cold here in the winter

Old 11-20-2010, 12:09 PM

837 posts, read 852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I've never been to Philly so I couldn't tell you.

Brooklyn is becoming the new Manhattan. We're about to have our own Arena, new condo's and they're starting to clean up here. Of course Brooklyn is better in my opinion, because it's my hometown.

Edit : As far as food BROOKLYN PIZZA is still the best! As well as our Spanish food. El Rey in East New York is top of the line!

As a former Brooklynite, that's great, but a few questions and that is who's going to be utilizing that arena, because I don't see the Nets crossing over to Jersey anytime as they already have an arena in Newark already. I feel the Knicks (and even the Rangers) have a greater chance of moving from MSG to Bklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City