Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brooklyn vs. Philadelphia
Brooklyn 109 52.66%
Philadelphia 98 47.34%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times

Advertisements

Drinking, sorry. Lombard & Juniper. Juniper East Lofts, supposedly the first ever urban loft conversion in USA. I think that's a fact (lol). Anyhow it used to be the "American Baptist Publication Society". Build like a church, apparently they used to censor books, essentially making thme rated PG versions of the originals, safe for the devout. The building was charming, the view spectacular, but with only one slow elevator and a mouse problem (plus the sound issues) a row house seemed like a better option. Used to live in the South Jersey suburbs, lots of square feet, new construction. Not going back to that. Brooklyn is tempting, but I have to up my income before I'd seriously consider a move for the reasons I've discussed. Seems like I lucked into a good price for my current place thanks t having moved iduring this crappy recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
??? They are parallel

Last edited by Dub King; 08-10-2011 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Drinking, sorry. Lombard & Juniper. Juniper East Lofts, supposedly the first ever urban loft conversion in USA. I think that's a fact (lol). Anyhow it used to be the "American Baptist Publication Society". Build like a church, apparently they used to censor books, essentially making thme rated PG versions of the originals, safe for the devout. The building was charming, the view spectacular, but with only one slow elevator and a mouse problem (plus the sound issues) a row house seemed like a better option. Used to live in the South Jersey suburbs, lots of square feet, new construction. Not going back to that. Brooklyn is tempting, but I have to up my income before I'd seriously consider a move for the reasons I've discussed. Seems like I lucked into a good price for my current place thanks t having moved iduring this crappy recession.
Yea, you definitely got way lucky it sounds like. I have friends living in a decent part of University City with a two bedroom (and a basement of sorts) paying a bit more than you are--and this was after searching for a good long while and with friends in the area.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:13 PM

291 posts, read 688,717 times
Which is worse, living in Philadelphia and having an inferiority complex towards New York or living in Brooklyn and having an inferiority complex towards Manhattan? That would be the question for me. If you live in Brooklyn you got people in Manhattan calling you bridge and tunnel crowd and if you live in Philly people in NYC try to look down on you. So I guess either way I would suffer from an inferiority complex towards Manhattan. Anyway, putting that BS to the side, I think that Brooklyn and Philly are both great. However, if I had to choose between the two I would choose Philly. My way of looking at it is if I can't live in Manhattan I may as well live in Philly. Just my two cents. Both are great places though so to each their own.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Nobody in Philly has an inferiority complex towards NYC.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
Yeah, nice double straw man argument there.

Last edited by rotodome; 08-11-2011 at 03:53 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 04:34 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Nobody in Philly has an inferiority complex towards NYC.
No, just with the rest of the world. How else does one explain all of the "compare Philly to fill-in-the blank city" threads? Why is there such an overwhelming need to legitimize it's existence?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 AM

What a lame comment, I mean dig, against Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No, just with the rest of the world. How else does one explain all of the "compare Philly to fill-in-the blank city" threads? Why is there such an overwhelming need to legitimize it's existence?

Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 AM

107 posts, read 125,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Which is worse, living in Philadelphia and having an inferiority complex towards New York or living in Brooklyn and having an inferiority complex towards Manhattan? That would be the question for me. If you live in Brooklyn you got people in Manhattan calling you bridge and tunnel crowd and if you live in Philly people in NYC try to look down on you. So I guess either way I would suffer from an inferiority complex towards Manhattan. Anyway, putting that BS to the side, I think that Brooklyn and Philly are both great. However, if I had to choose between the two I would choose Philly. My way of looking at it is if I can't live in Manhattan I may as well live in Philly. Just my two cents. Both are great places though so to each their own.
Youre such a tourist buddy. I would take living in Park Slope Brooklyn, Dumbo, Wiiliamsburg or Forrest Hills in Queens over living in most cities in the US. Nobody, besides recent transplants, have an inferiority complex towards Manhattan. Hell, most of the time i try to avoid Manhattan all together as a tourist trap, overprised and crowded. Of course you cant avoid Manhattan altogether and you go there for a variety of reasons but all it takes is to jump on the train.
The landscape of New York has changed in the past twenty years, the hip areas are now in Brooklyn, Harlem and even the Bronx. But to know this you would have to stop being a tourist for a moment

Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 AM

107 posts, read 125,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yeah BK real estate is insane.
Insane? God bless New York. While in most of the country the real estate values have been cut in half resulting in inredible losses to anybody who bought a house or a condo, New York real estate market rewarded buyers with almost continuous appreciation of their investments.
I'd take NYC insane market over affordable Florida, Arizona or Chicago at any time.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 AM

Take a look at these Zillow graphs. Specifically the yellow line, one for Park Slope, Brooklyn and one for Bella Vista, Philadelphia - then another for Rittenhouse Philly and Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn (proximity to park being key) Addresses chosen at random I'm comparing the neighborhood price stats, no the individual homes. Both Philly and Brooklyn have done very well, comparatively, in the housing bust and the recession that followed.

When the housing slump hit, New York was not affected at all. When the economic crash of 2008 came around, new York was severely affected as were real estate values. I know because I used to shoot residential real estate in NYC but after 2008 sales ground to a halt because there were so many unemployed all of a sudden. New York weathers the storm well, but he stability of house prices in Philly is what shocked me, I've waited five years for prices to drop, as they have everywhere else, to no avail.

Brooklyn (Park Slope) - http://tinyurl.com/3uvq3mq (broken link)

Philly (Bella Vista) - http://tinyurl.com/3k8u9dq (broken link)

Use the 10 year view to see how stable Bella Vista prices have remained over a decade, wheras the bubble is clearly visible in Park Slope. I guess it means Brooklyn has become more affordable (for housing) as of recently. Depending on the neighborhood, your results may vary but overall Philly weathered the real estate boom and crash better than most.

Hopping over to a new neighborhood... here we see Brooklyn holding value just like Philly

Philly (Center City west - Rittenhouse) - http://tinyurl.com/3pbyspg (broken link)

Brooklyn (Windsor Terrace) - http://tinyurl.com/3zeewws (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
Insane? God bless New York. While in most of the country the real estate values have been cut in half resulting in inredible losses to anybody who bought a house or a condo, New York real estate market rewarded buyers with almost continuous appreciation of their investments.
I'd take NYC insane market over affordable Florida, Arizona or Chicago at any time.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-11-2011 at 07:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City