Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which county is better?
Dallas County 41 40.59%
Miami-Dade County 60 59.41%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
Those things aren't meaningless to me or other people.... Those things are important I would hate to work my whole life and never enjoy the money I make... Nitelife is what was being discussed so I put my 2 cents in.. Now if u wanna talk about the job market then u bring it into the discussions I have no problem discussing that
Couldn't agree more

Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
One of these days, someone is going to have to tell me why every black person I meet says they like Houston more and every white person I meet says they like Dallas more. Asians and Hispanics I meet seem to have a split opinion. For the life of me, I cant see a reason one would love one and not like the other. From an out-of-stater's perspective, I still cant see the difference is that huge.

...I'll step aside and let a less biased person answer this. I think I've ruffled a few too many feathers in the past regarding this.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post

...I'll step aside and let a less biased person answer this. I think I've ruffled a few too many feathers in the past regarding this.
When I said "like better", I meant that they find Houston/Dallas more fun/entertaining. Ive never met anyone in person of any race who insists Dallas is a racist hellhole.

I personally think its because Dallas' nightlife is more geared toward, the dance/trance/electronic scene (which white people tend to like more) and Houston's is more laid back and more hip-hop/soul etc. oriented.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas County

Total 908 sq mi
Land 880 sq mi

Population 2,451,730

Cities

Addison
Balch Springs
Cedar Hill
Carrollton
Cockrell Hill
Combine
Coppell
Dallas
DeSoto
Duncanville
Farmers Branch
Ferris
Garland
Glenn Heights
Grand Prairie
Grapevine
Highland Park
Hutchins
Irving
Lancaster
Lewisville
Mesquite
Ovilla
Richardson
Rowlett
Sachse
Sand Branch (unincorporated)
Seagoville
Sunnyvale
University Park
Wilmer
Wylie

Miami-Dade County

Total 2,431
Land 1,946

Population 2,500,625

Cities

Aventura
Bal Harbour
Bay Harbor Islands
Biscayne Park
Coral Gables
Cutler Bay
Doral
El Portal
Florida City
Golden Beach
Hialeah
Hialeah Gardens
Homestead
Indian Creek
Islandia
Key Biscayne
Medley
Miami
Miami Beach
Miami Gardens
Miami Lakes
Miami Shores
Miami Springs
North Bay Village
North Miami
North Miami Beach
Opa-locka
Palmetto Bay
Pinecrest
South Miami
Surfside
Sunny Isles Beach
Sweetwater
Virginia Gardens
West Miami
To state MiamiDade's land that way is misleading. Much of the "land" in the county is undevelopable. MiamiDade's population is in a much smaller area.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
^ about 75% of Miami Dade county's land is either part of the Everglades National Park or water conservation areas under the jurisdiction of the South Florida Water Management Agency or Miccousukee Tribal reservation areas.
Miami Dade county has an Urban Development boundary line much like Portland has that was set in the mid 1970's. That is why when you travel west on US Highway 41 / Tamiami Trail all development comes to a complete halt and then there is nothing but undeveloped land. It is 18 miles from Downtown Miami until you hit the Urban Development at Krome Avenue hence why Miami can't sprawl.
The amount of land avaialable for development or is developed is roughly 450 square miles with a population of 2.5 million people.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ about 75% of Miami Dade county's land is either part of the Everglades National Park or water conservation areas under the jurisdiction of the South Florida Water Management Agency or Miccousukee Tribal reservation areas.
Miami Dade county has an Urban Development boundary line much like Portland has that was set in the mid 1970's. That is why when you travel west on US Highway 41 / Tamiami Trail all development comes to a complete halt and then there is nothing but undeveloped land. It is 18 miles from Downtown Miami until you hit the Urban Development at Krome Avenue hence why Miami can't sprawl.
The amount of land avaialable for development or is developed is roughly 450 square miles with a population of 2.5 million people.
I bet if you factor in all the alligators from western Dade county, Miami has a higher population than New York!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:49 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
^ Lmao! A lot of those gators wind up in the canals in the western suburbs and onto backyards where poodles disappear mysteriously!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
A gator with a toothpick; that's a damn shame!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ Lmao! A lot of those gators wind up in the canals in the western suburbs and onto backyards where poodles disappear mysteriously!
We have a similar problem here in the suburbs around Dallas. Coyotes are horrible and pick off house cats and dogs all the time.

Pick your poison Gators or Coyotes. Snakes are bad both places.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
We have a similar problem here in the suburbs around Dallas. Coyotes are horrible and pick off house cats and dogs all the time.

Pick your poison Gators or Coyotes. Snakes are bad both places.

For this I can say I am happy where I live, the worst thing I deal with are rogue Mets fans

I hate snakes and gators well I have gotten as close as i would like to on golf course in FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City