Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:13 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,737 times

Advertisements

You forgot San Francisco! According to your list LA has to be the best. Dry, sunny and warm summer. Worst, Miami. Humid, rainy, super hot and cloudy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 12:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
It's been the strangest summer in Los Angeles this year and breaking all records for cool temperatures. Inland instead of 90's it has been in the 80's and a few days in the 70's. Two days ago I went to the beach and though it was nice but by 6PM the wind off the ocean was chilly; and this is late July! According to articles, the entire California coast has been unusually cool and not at all summer-like. Of-course, nobody is complaining inland from the ocean when you don't even have to turn on the AC but it just seems weird to be so cool in summer.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Los Angeles DOES NOT have nice summer weather in a lot of ways, let alone "Best major city summer weather."

It seems nicer in the winter, but in the summer, it usually gets very hot just a few miles or less away from the coast, as well as horrible air and water pollution in the areas not immediately along the coast or in the mountains/hills(Some of the worst air and water quality in all of the USA!)
In the winter, it gets more precipitation, but can still be warm and sunny, and the air and water quality is better than.

I would say LA and San Diego are major cities with some of the nicest winter weather, but I honestly like 4 season weather, and like NYC, Montreal, and sometimes Seattle and Portland's weather in winter too.

And the LA and San Diego region both seem to have A LOT of wildfire risks during that time of the year as well. It seems like every year, there are wildfires in both regions, which makes the air quality even worse! And then people cant go to the places nearby the fires.

Major cities(500,000 or more) that I think have the best summer weather:

San Francisco, Seattle, Washington , Portland Oregon, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Anchorage Alaska some years.(This summer though, one of the worst. lol)

Actually, most places in the Western USA has to deal with wildfire risks.

The only exceptions seem to be Western Washington state and Western Oregon. And those places can thank the rain it gets! Alaska and Hawaii also dont seem like they have to worry about that too.

Last edited by ; 07-31-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Los Angeles DOES NOT have nice summer weather in a lot of ways, let alone "Best major city summer weather."

It seems nicer in the winter, but in the summer, it usually gets very hot just a few miles or less away from the coast, as well as horrible air and water pollution in the areas not immediately along the coast or in the mountains/hills(Some of the worst air and water quality in all of the USA!)
In the winter, it gets more precipitation, but can still be warm and sunny, and the air and water quality is better than.

I would say LA and San Diego are major cities with some of the nicest winter weather, but I honestly like 4 season weather, and like NYC, Montreal, and sometimes Seattle and Portland's weather in winter too.

And the LA and San Diego region both seem to have A LOT of wildfire risks during that time of the year as well. It seems like every year, there are wildfires in both regions, which makes the air quality even worse! And then people cant go to the places nearby the fires.

Major cities(500,000 or more) that I think have the best summer weather:

San Francisco, Seattle, Washington , Portland Oregon, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Anchorage Alaska some years.(This summer though, one of the worst. lol)

Actually, most places in the Western USA has to deal with wildfire risks.

The only exceptions seem to be Western Washington state and Western Oregon. And those places can thank the rain it gets! Alaska and Hawaii also dont seem like they have to worry about that too.
Everything is relative to individual preferences but many people rave about summers right along the California coast for human comfort. There aren't many regions in the U.S. where air conditioning is not necessary during summer. But, yes, I agree that it becomes quite warm away from the ocean and even areas 10 miles from the Pacific like the western San Fernando valley can be extremely hot. Humidity, however is often quite low compared to much of the nation. Water pollution in Southern California is not much of an issue during summer and better than many other cities because it doesn't rain in summer. In places that get a fair amount of rainfall the runoff flows into the ocean and can badly pollute the water around metro areas. During winter when rainfall occurs in southern California, the beaches are closed sometimes due to runoff that overflows sewage plants ugh!

Some of the nicest summer weather is in the Pacific Northwest due to sunny warm days and cool nights with low humidity.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,453,710 times
Seattle. Despite stereotypes, its summers are actually quite dry and sunny (although I'm not obsessed with sunny weather).

Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 23,811 times
La Jolla, Del Mar, Cardiff - San Diego

Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times
LA has fantastic summer weather. Not too hot, very little humidity. If you're near the coast, it's almost perfect.

San Diego is even better, if we're looking to all cities, and not just the biggest, San Diego is #1.

SF is a bit too cold. Seattle and Portland are not consistently nice. Everything east of the Rockies is too humid.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
For weather itself, I'd say LA in the non-valley part, or San Diego, though San Diego is a tiny bit too cold for me in the summer, but it's still really nice. For things to do, I'd say Chicago.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:46 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
West Coast cities have more stable summer weather, which is sunny and dry. The weather in the west is much more predictable in the summer than the Eastern half of the country.

The Southeast has the most dramtic summers when it comes to precipitation. The pop up thunderstorms roll in almost everyday in parts of the South East and tropical depressions, tornadoes and hurricanes can also be a factor. I enjoy the different colors of the skys and the crazy combinations of clouds, and rainbows that are created by these events. The bad thing about all this moisture is that it causes uncomfortable humidity and the nuisance of mosquitoes and other bugs.

I would gladly take an LA summer over an Atlanta summer.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
I don't mind high heat (95+) as long as there is low humidity, so Dallas and Phoenix seem fine to me. But San Diego wins easily. Been to SF, was a little too cool for the summer, felt more like April than July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City