Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most athletic state...
Florida 24 17.27%
Pennsylvania 7 5.04%
California 51 36.69%
Texas 17 12.23%
Ohio 6 4.32%
Other 34 24.46%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

California for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,317 times
I think there is a line between producing college athletes and having a fit populous. I would have to say Texas is the fattest state in the union, Florida is probably not to hot either.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
I think there is a line between producing college athletes and having a fit populous. I would have to say Texas is the fattest state in the union, Florida is probably not to hot either.
Think again

http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images...s-2008-468.gif

Lol, so much for Texas being the fattest state, and Florida is not too hot? It's almost the same as California .

Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Think again

http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images...s-2008-468.gif

Lol, so much for Texas being the fattest state, and Florida is not too hot? It's almost the same as California .
Is there a study as to why certain states tend to have lots of fat people compared to those who don't? I would have never guessed that Colorado\ Montana and Utah would be the leanest overall. All 3 are mountain states in the West but my hunch is that people who live in these 3 states aren't anymore active than other states. Also 4 states in New England are fairly lean; is that due to more consumption of fish? I understand why Mississippi is considered the most obese state due to poverty and extremely poor diets which seems to be widespread to a lesser degree throughout the South.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Is there a study as to why certain states tend to have lots of fat people compared to those who don't? I would have never guessed that Colorado\ Montana and Utah would be the leanest overall. All 3 are mountain states in the West but my hunch is that people who live in these 3 states aren't anymore active than other states. Also 4 states in New England are fairly lean; is that due to more consumption of fish? I understand why Mississippi is considered the most obese state due to poverty and extremely poor diets which seems to be widespread to a lesser degree throughout the South.
People that live in the leanest states are usually the most active meaning they enjoy going out hiking and things like that. Ofcourse this map just adds to the southern stereotype that everyone is overweight lol. As you can see Florida faired pretty well because it's not really a stereotypical southern state anymore. I was actually surprised when I saw that map that Florida was going toe-to-toe with California. I mean I know Florida has a lot of healthy in-shape people because I always see people walking and jogging around here, but I also know that there are a lot of health freaks (don't take it the wrong way, thats a good thing) in California.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
Quote:
This really is too general though, Kid Cann you put up good points, but it really isn't worth arguing when we don't know what the specific topic is.

Yeah I kind of get it now... ha, I was just thinking that it seems kind of odd that these are all states with Millions of potential athletes.

There is no doubt that Florida, Texas and California produce the highest calibur of athletes ranging from Baseball (huge in Florida), Football (huge in all three states), track and field (all three) tennis (dont know about TX, but CA and FL) even TX has good hockey players believe it or not...

Florida, Texas and Arizona seem to be the places that professional athletes train during the offseason...

Can you say..
Texas Longhorns
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas A&M
Baylor

UCF
Florida State
da U
USF
Florida

USC
UCLA
Cal

All HUGE athletic universities. One can assume (i am) that most athletes at these Universities are in-state athletes....

Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 AM

^ Good post, also baseball is huge in California as well.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
Quote:
^ Good post, also baseball is huge in California as well.
I played D2 College Baseball and on some semi-pro and amateur teams.. needless to say, along the way we played some FL and CA teams and I even played with some kids from CA and FL and those kids were always really good. I was blown away went they chatted about 'winter ball'... They said they played in a league from November to February...To me that is crazy! I would love that. While we're sittin in Domes and large gyms throwing, taking cuts and grounders, those kids were outside playing real ball...So I guess I could see how weather does matter... FL kids seemed bigger too, but CA kids seemed smaller.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I played D2 College Baseball and on some semi-pro and amateur teams.. needless to say, along the way we played some FL and CA teams and I even played with some kids from CA and FL and those kids were always really good. I was blown away went they chatted about 'winter ball'... They said they played in a league from November to February...To me that is crazy! I would love that. While we're sittin in Domes and large gyms throwing, taking cuts and grounders, those kids were outside playing real ball...So I guess I could see how weather does matter... FL kids seemed bigger too, but CA kids seemed smaller.
Thats awesome man, I am not on a team right now but I played high school ball. I hope to join a club sometime in the future, I actually just got back from the baseball field about an hour ago.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Texas is pretty big in baseball as well. This past decade, the state won 3 CWS titles and Texas is tied for the 2nd most titles in College baseball history. It is also the birthplace to many MLB players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City