Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which animated series best reflects contemporary American culture?
King of the Hill (Texas) 15 31.25%
Family Guy (Rhode Island) 20 41.67%
American Dad (Virginia) 2 4.17%
The Simpsons (Springfield USA) 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,603,351 times

Advertisements

King of the Hill in the sense that they are presented as basically being "real" people living in the real world. The Simpsons is seen as having been "real" at first, but even its first three seasons: Homer Simpson was exhibited as a "Missing Link", Lisa Simpson brought down a Congressman, and Bart was hailed as a hero in France. That doesn't normally happen in families.

Except for ones like Bill dating former governor Ann Richards or Hank playing guitar with Willie Nelson the characters on King of the Hill pretty much live in the real world. Even in those episodes nothing both lasting and implausible happens. Hank does not ever meet or do anything with Mr. Nelson again and Bill only seems to know Ann Richards for that one episode. Hank never goes into space or wins a Grammy or whatever. Even when Peggy falls out of a plane and lives it's not like she's magically fine the next episode. Instead she had to go through several episodes worth of rehabilitation. Blue collar characters mostly talk like blue-collar characters and not like people who went to Dartmouth but have went "slumming." (An exception to this is that the characters, even the guy who threatened a sex-ed teacher, are universally pro-gay. I'm guessing they felt they couldn't portray the range of views among blue-collar Republican-leaning people without making the characters too hateful to some viewers) Also King of the Hill did a fair amount of research to make it like "real Texas" and not necessarily to make it "topical." In some ways, for what it's portraying, I think King of the Hill is more real than many/most live action sitcoms.

That said the culture King of the Hill cast is portraying is a sub-set and likely much more conservative (small-c) than is average. So two-parent homes are more common in it than I think is the case in average America. Also one-child families are way too common on "Rainey Street." So in cultural terms I might put The Simpsons as maybe a bit more normal in many respects. The kids are way too smart, but I think averaged out the family's outlook is maybe more moderate and their behaviors imperfect in a somewhat typical way. (I mean when you ignore the zaniest behaviors, I mean like the tenor/tone) Also the "Anytown" aspect mentioned, even if Portland is largely the basis.

The McFarlane shows, taking aside the fact I don't really like them, have in my mind always made it clear they are something of a fantasy or satire. Family Guy began with a talking dog, a baby who could invent a time machine, and an heiress who married a fat slob. American Dad began even further from reality with an extraterrestrial character and a Dad who's a government agent. Looked at the most positively I think they are about expressing himself and his writers, and what they find funny or valuable, rather than reflecting any kind of reality. They might incidentally portray some uniquely New England things you see nowhere else, but I don't think that's meant to mean they represent New England.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 PM

916 posts, read 1,092,625 times
The Boondocks should def. be on this list. But I voted Family Guy.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,843,164 times
Family Guy!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,776,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
The Boondocks should def. be on this list. But I voted Family Guy.
I love that show.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 PM

593 posts, read 1,765,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Family Guy is the best show listed.
The Simpson, for its first 8 seasons (1990-1997) was far better than any of the other shows listed.

The last 12 seasons of the Simpsons arent anywhere near the quality of those first 8.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,094,543 times
Family Guy is my absolute most favorite show!

But South Park should have been on here too! I can't believe you left out South Park!!! That is not forgivable!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,843,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Family Guy is my absolute most favorite show!

But South Park should have been on here too! I can't believe you left out South Park!!! That is not forgivable!

Haha true, I don't know how you forget SP.
I always though SP was a little too strange and vulgar.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,790,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I love that show man. Have every episode of FG. I've just never been to RI before to say. I always thought FG was more of a blend with minor portrayal and a lot more shenanigans. But now that I think about it, they do reference "Rhode Island" so much from the way they talk to the way they life daily life. (Minus Peter's stupid schemes!)
That is the amazing city of Providence in the background of the Griffin's household.

-Peter is your satirized blue collar New England laborer-your average RIer [I went to college in the state-he's dead on]
-Lois is the Newport heiress
-Brian is your typical East Coast snob-educated, liberal elitist

The rest of the characters aren't specifically any stereotype pertaining to NE, but Americans in general.

But the are always drinking beer at a local pub. Stuff like that.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 PM

902 posts, read 2,792,581 times
The most realistic show of the four listed is easily King of the Hill imho. It is also my favorite. I watch KOTH every night lol. I don't know why I like it so much but I do.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,863,698 times
king of the hill is the most realistic of the four by FAR, and is a pretty good representative of middle america. in the episodes i've seen, i can't remember seeing any cultural traits that are unique to texas or the south for that matter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City