Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 03:12 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
4 of which won the Pritzker Prize Award. Columbus,IN theme is architecture. The residents there take serious pride of the city's architectural heritage. Source: Columbus, Indiana Convention and Visitors Bureau

This Indy suburb is far from crappy not bad for being the 6th most innovative in the nation.
Columbus, Indiana is an awesome little city and deserves it's national reputation for architectural design. However, calling a Columbus an Indy suburb is a huge stretch!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Columbus, Indiana is an awesome little city and deserves it's national reputation for architectural design. However, calling a Columbus an Indy suburb is a huge stretch!
Not really. Plenty of employment traffic between barth county up into southern marion county. From the southport rd exit, you can be in cbus in a little over 20 minutes. Im 15 min from cbus. To put it in perspective, you will get to the airport in as much time it takes to get to cbus.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Indy is just like columbus same frreway system type, same malls restaurants, same kind of downtown and even same radio stations. Saying columbus is like a suburb is like saying indy is like a suburb.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:37 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
^ They're not talking about Columbus, Ohio in those posts.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
^ They're not talking about Columbus, Ohio in those posts.
Im not even going to explain,ughhh

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
What msamhunter said is true. Columbus is part of Indy's CSA.
Source: Indianapolis metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Indy is just like columbus same frreway system type, same malls restaurants, same kind of downtown and even same radio stations. Saying columbus is like a suburb is like saying indy is like a suburb.
Then you know nothing about the area yet you try to down one place in order to uplift cincy. Guess what indy and cincy have a similar highway system. Columbus only has 65 and it doesn' even go straight through, it's west of the city center. No skyscrapers in columbus, no designated districts, no separate area for hotels like 3rd/4th coming straight off the expressway. And the list goes on and on.

Bty cbus is in the indianapolis media market so of course it's going to have the exact same television and radio stations. That's kind of a no brainer.

Last edited by msamhunter; 09-04-2012 at 05:14 AM..

Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Im not even going to explain,ughhh
I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just misread it, knowing that they were talking about Columbus, Indiana makes your argument much worse in my opinion. Suburb-wise it is pushing it though...

That being said, Cincy would be my top choice out of these three.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just misread it, knowing that they were talking about Columbus, Indiana makes your argument much worse in my opinion. Suburb-wise it is pushing it though...

That being said, Cincy would be my top choice out of these three.
Not really, Bartholomew County has enough employment to where the majority of its residents can live in the same county, would be the only difference. Columbus' employment reach is actually far southern Marion County, through Johnson County and parts of SW Shelby County. Franklin (Johnson County Seat) south has a higher rate that matriculate into Columbus (Bartholomew is the county south of Johnson) because of Cummins than Columbus people drive into Johnson County or Franklin residents that drive into Indianapolis. Greenwood, for the most part drives into Indianapolis, Franklin does not.

For another perspective, Columbus is closer to Indianapolis than place like Farmington and a slew of other burbs are closer to St. Louis.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Not really, Bartholomew County has enough employment to where the majority of its residents can live in the same county, would be the only difference. Columbus' employment reach is actually far southern Marion County, through Johnson County and parts of SW Shelby County. Franklin (Johnson County Seat) south has a higher rate that matriculate into Columbus (Bartholomew is the county south of Johnson) because of Cummins than Columbus people drive into Johnson County or Franklin residents that drive into Indianapolis. Greenwood, for the most part drives into Indianapolis, Franklin does not.

For another perspective, Columbus is closer to Indianapolis than place like Farmington and a slew of other burbs are closer to St. Louis.
Sure, I guess it is more a matter of semantics in my head then anything. I know how CSAs are formed so that isn't up for debate, and Columbus is in Indy's, and Farmington is in St. Louis's. I guess I just prefer the term separate commuter city as it fits better to CSAs for me, whereas suburbs I always count just in the MSA (I know the literal definition of a suburb works for either though). Since you brought up St. Louis and Farmington, when I used to live in St. Louis I can't imagine a single person thinking of Farmington as a suburb of St. Louis. Do people share this in Indy? When I look at Columbus on a map it would be about halfway to Cincy if it was on 74 instead of 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City