Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better economy in ten years:
L.A. 35 57.38%
Philly 26 42.62%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:10 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times

Advertisements

Philly has to compete with New York, DC, and Boston for talent and economic drive. And by most indications hasn't done as well as those cities and regions. The other cities of the northeast still outpace Philly in most accounts. Boston and DC for example have among the highest diverified economies in the nation, and never really experienced the recession 'til middle of last year, and every indication is they are well out of it now.

LA has something that Philly will never have, international recognition [the Liberty Bell doesn't count either]. LA draws investors from the around the world-most especially Asia. It is a HUGE trading center. It's port in the busiest in the country. LA has a very well educated population, has the resources, it has the influx of money and capital. Also, it's huge at 20,000,000 people-4x Philly. Don't forget as well, LA is a city that can reinvent itself. That's its image and draw. It's a city capable of change. How often do things change in the northeast? Not often enough, I would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Philly has to compete with New York, DC, and Boston for talent and economic drive. And by most indications hasn't done as well as those cities and regions. The other cities of the northeast still outpace Philly in most accounts. Boston and DC for example have among the highest diverified economies in the nation, and never really experienced the recession 'til middle of last year, and every indication is they are well out of it now.

LA has something that Philly will never have, international recognition [the Liberty Bell doesn't count either]. LA draws investors from the around the world-most especially Asia. It is a HUGE trading center. It's port in the busiest in the country. LA has a very well educated population, has the resources, it has the influx of money and capital. Also, it's huge at 20,000,000 people-4x Philly. Don't forget as well, LA is a city that can reinvent itself. That's its image and draw. It's a city capable of change. How often do things change in the northeast? Not often enough, I would say.

I think you really underestimate the economic power of Philly and how diversified the economy is. Look at at economic output, multiple metrics that far exceed Boston. Plus you say DC and Boston as being diverse. Honest question please substantiate how Philly is not as or more diverse. it is likely one of the 5 most diverse city economies in the US

Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Per capita Philly exceeds both LA and Boston ^^^^^

Plus the number 9 city economy in the world

Yes a serious underperformer

lmkcin - do you ever leave Boston?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...r_Trading_Bloc

Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Per capita Philly exceeds both LA and Boston ^^^^^

Plus the number 9 city economy in the world

Yes a serious underperformer

lmkcin - do you ever leave Boston?

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
One, I'm not from Boston. And nothing pisses a new englander off more than a dumbass assumption we're all from Boston. There are 15 million New Englanders and 4 million Bostonians, there's a 1/4 chance you're right. Do you like those odds?

Secondly, kidphilly, every post I've ever read of your's has been to glorify Philly, which the last time I check was just about the worse place to live on the eastern seaboaord. So I think your actual problem was that I didn't glorify Philly. Something this New Englander will never do. B/c I'm not convinced of any ounce of it's supremacy. So go ahead and tell me it's per capita income is higher...so? I think people from Philly don't cross the Delaware, excpet to vaca in Atlantic City-excuse me, I just threw up a little. Ahh the Pine Barrens in summer-really God's country.

When Philly can draw on 20,000,000 residents, it's cultural weight, it's international status, is the nation's second city, and one of the largest trading centers in the world, than maybe Philly will surpass Los Angeles. But even then, Philly, has that awkward postion of being in the shadow of New York, and the rest stop on the way to DC.

Fourthly, being a native megalopolitan, you'd think, just think, I would "defend" a fellow city. Of course that city is Philly.

So Philly v Los Angeles, please. It's absolutely LA.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

LA is undoubtedly the U.S's number two city, but comparing it to Philly is a really awkward comparison. SoCal and the Deval are set up very differently. LA county alone is nearly physically as big as the entire Delaware Valley. The city of LA is nearly 500sq. miles(bigger than most of Philly's suburban counties) and decentralized. Philly is 135sq miles and revolves around an ultra dense core.

LA is better poised for the future, because as a city and a region its alot more unified than the heavily fractured Delaware Valley.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:07 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
LA is better poised for the future, because as a city and a region its alot more unified than the heavily fractured Delaware Valley.
Actually one of the few corrections I do want to make is that the economic impact from Asia is what is drawing Los Angeles's relevance. It is growing more prominent.

Trade & regulations are also a big plus with the Asian Tiger nations (Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, & Singapore) along with China, Japan, India, Philippines, and other Oceania countries.

These things will drive companies to relocate to Los Angeles from the Pacific Rim. Example are already where you can see major companies in the Bay Area such as Infosys, and things like that there. Lesser presence in Los Angeles when it comes to company relocations, but if they play their part right, it can greatly expand.

I think we'll be seeing a transition from Los Angeles to do what the Bay Area had done to attract Asian companies.

But I don't know much of the chances, as Seattle and San Jose are hotbeds already and Oakland's port is increasing in prominence, and San Francisco is best linked city with Asia.

Frankly, Los Angeles has the set up, but it's going to have to work it's way to out do it's own West Coast peers. Seattle is a very up and coming city in the West Coast, and San Francisco is recovering at a faster pace. Something Los Angeles cannot afford to lose out on. San Jose will always be the hotbed for tech and companies from Asia import/export on that. Oakland's port is stepping up to become a global leader more each year.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
La has a huge Asian population, Japanese , Korean, Chinese companies lay roots in La and than spread out. Look where all the big Asian car firms have their headquarters, Asia is the next big thing , frankly I do not see where Philly can play a card like that.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
La has a huge Asian population, Japanese , Korean, Chinese companies lay roots in La and than spread out. Look where all the big Asian car firms have their headquarters, Asia is the next big thing , frankly I do not see where Philly can play a card like that.
Agreed. Los Angeles will have to step up though, Seattle is a huge competitor now too.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
this. i don't know about the port thing but you're probably right.

Last edited by john_starks; 07-19-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmckin
Per Capita I believe the Philly metro is more highly educated than LA.

Just my opinion but the LA basin should have been better designed,progress taken much slower and more meticulously, much less monotonous development with emphasis on upscale.More protected parkland and less ranchers and bungalows.

LA should have been Americas crown jewel. To me what it became is a developers nightmare. A suburban labyrinth.

In a battle of civic design the Bay Area really put it to LA.

Lisbon

LA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City