Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago versus Las Vegas
Las Vegas 55 23.81%
Chicago 180 77.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 07:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Wow, I really don't know which of these statements is the wildest. Buffets at suburban video poker places being "wondrous dining," mountains that aren't even visible in most of the city 'shaming' Chicago, or a man-made lake 20 miles away being called competitive with Chicago's setting on Lake Michigan...
The mountains are visible from most parts of the Las Vegas area. It’s a pretty underrated city for Mountain View’s actually. And it’s not exactly like you can see Lake Michigan from most of Chicago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 09:56 PM

955 posts, read 612,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The mountains are visible from most parts of the Las Vegas area. It’s a pretty underrated city for Mountain View’s actually. And it’s not exactly like you can see Lake Michigan from most of Chicago...
I've lived in LV, the mountains are far enough away from anywhere except the outskirts that you don't see them most of the time. It's a totally different vibe than somewhere like LA, or even Portland or Seattle.

I don't know why anyone would compare mountains to water, but if we are, the lake is much more visible and accessible to residents, and is more integral to the landscape of Chicago.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:02 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The mountain argument is ridiculous because you can see them from most of Las Vegas yes - but you actually CAN see Lake Michigan from much of Chicago, even a decent distance from the lake if you are in a high rise - which actually looks amazing - and you don’t have to be in that tall of a building to be able to see the lake either.

Also - it’s not about just seeing the beaches and the Lake. It’s the fact that in Chicago -Lake Michigan is so easily accessible and well utilized by the city, and looks as if it were an ocean. It is absolutely amazing to see towering skyscrapers and big buildings alongside beautiful beaches, and ones that are packed and bustling during normal times during the summer.

The LV “waterfront” comparison as competitive to Chicago is ridiculous. Ridiculous.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:08 AM

1,803 posts, read 936,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
The mountain argument is ridiculous because you can see them from most of Las Vegas yes - but you actually CAN see Lake Michigan from much of Chicago, even a decent distance from the lake if you are in a high rise - which actually looks amazing - and you don’t have to be in that tall of a building to be able to see the lake either.

Also - it’s not about just seeing the beaches and the Lake. It’s the fact that in Chicago -Lake Michigan is so easily accessible and well utilized by the city, and looks as if it were an ocean. It is absolutely amazing to see towering skyscrapers and big buildings alongside beautiful beaches, and ones that are packed and bustling during normal times during the summer.

The LV “waterfront” comparison as competitive to Chicago is ridiculous. Ridiculous.
Yes and in reality. From the Lake to western edge of the city is like 10 miles to 14 miles to O'Hare still part of the city.

Chicagoans can chose never to head to the Lake Front just as many may choose never go to the mountains by Vegas or remote desert areas. Tourism to Vegas is not based on Scenery unless it is where they began to head to National Parks like the Grand Canyon etc.

Chicago is not a resort city in origin or today. It evolved to be more a tourist city and even family-friendly with its attractions and museums. The Lakefront most find as a pleasant addition and asset that impresses.

Of source we need to get over this terrible year and healing to restoring to occur. Even the Great Lakes at record levels hit recently is near them still. Beaches shrunk and erosion did not help. Pandemic kept the literal beaches of sand close. Just not the concrete portions many treated as a beach this year.

This video shows a May after a not great winter and record high Lake levels that pounded beaches and some shrunken to a couple developed a pond in their middle as lake levels rose. Eventually new sand may be added again when levels drop and erosion is less damaging or back to normal levels.

Video that shows Chicago in-city beaches Southside and Northside and couple downtown. Strikes me how even the downtown beaches shrunk in this lake rise and erosion. On them it seems fine. Looking above them I see the shrinkage.

Many will say beach season is way short anyway. Still it has a few good months and even California beaches water is cold most of the year.

Recorded early May 2020 before beach season of course.
Still they never opened this year.... yes they shrunk from a record level for
Lake Michigan waters set as the Great Lakes have lows and highs by many feet over years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDdo1aeKIE

Old 09-11-2020, 03:55 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Ignorant that I am...I’m just going off what I hear. People always say Las Vegas has world class dining available and all these famous chefs etc. I don’t much like the local Chicago cuisine I’ve had (Chicago dogs and deep dish.. )

People form the Austin and South Shore communities of Chicago told me about the cornfields in Chicago suburbs. Maybe they’re exaggerating, but I see that in here too. Never seen anything particular attractive I. The Chicago landscape on film/tv..I’m assuming whatever nature there is, isn’t very interesting.

I get the sense that Chicago suburbs go like this:

north and northwest: they have a great amazing communities, some of the best in the country per the course with a top 10 metro

West/southwest: t based off of my wife’s job search I ended up looking into suburban towns west of Chicago for a possible relocation. They were very ordinary and forgettable. As we the knew to the Southwest.

South/southeast: high crime poor schools and generally declining.

Vegas has some sketchy suburbs maybe in North Las Vegas or Nellis or Spring Valley . But they are counteracted pretty equally by Aliante Centennial Hills Summerlin Whitney and Henderson. I like how all of the suburbs are relatively equally diverse and they’re all well integrated.

Chicago offers affordability but Vegas offers affordability, modernity and scenery.

I like the stucco gravel and landscapes look and bright sunshine. If most of your suburbs are inwardly facing/gated/subdivisions I’d assume they’re pretty damn peaceful. They don’t even face the street or any pedestrian shopping districts..
So lets see.......you have never been to Chicago, but don't like its cuisine; you think it is surrounded by cornfields; The west/southwest suburbs are " ordinary and forgettable", and yet you have never heard of Hinsdale, Oak brook, Western Springs, Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills, Naperville, St. Charles, Geneva, Glen Ellyn, Palos Park etc., some of the wealthiest and most attractive suburbs in the country ( Hinsdale alone is wealthier than Wellesley for a point of reference) , the south surbubs have numerous great towns, (Mokena, Frankfort, Palos Heights, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Flossmoor) who are not declining ; you are depending on word or mouth from those in the inner city to describe the suburbs? Very inaccurate post, maybe some homework might help next time, just say'n.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:51 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Just came back from Vegas. loved it. Spent most of my time off the strip tbh. Stayed din a residential area int he far northeast. Super diverse, surprigngly clean and with good air quality. FAr fewer homeless than I anticipated. Very nice quality of homes and trenmendous infrastructure. Two cool little lakes. Extremly integrated, very convenient. Some great food. Loved the dune buggies/buggy culture. Very simple to navigate.

Local culture was defintiely lacking but they sem pretty excited about their WNBA NFL andNHL teams. Lots of Golden Knights and Raiders gear. The mountain scenery was incredible and i thought very underrated in relation to what I see on CD. Mountains were visible pretty much everywhere and on all sides, that plus the sunsets and dim tasteful lighting in the subdivisions made it feel tranquil. The impact of the 24hrs slots everywhere is pretty muted. There are some more lowkey and 'normal' retail areas disperesed tnroughout the metro.

Seemed like a land of practicality and oppurtunity. Generally unpretentious. It was very suburban but not as bad as i thought, The housing is just so dense and numerous and the valley is pretty compact honestly. a single Family homes but with very little setback or space in between each other. It was a bit jarring.The desnsity made it feel somewhat urban and communal , the sepration fo land sue was not so cool. But i liked it. I saw lots of kids playing outsie an moving around where i stayed, and the subivision had a fantastic small park. Not any walkbility-but idk, why i would want to walk. Im not dealing with the traffic/congestion/convulation of Boston roads so why would I want to walk in the desert heat?.

Never been to Chicago but Vegas was a bit better than I thought it would be actually given Corona.

Chicago is my next American destination.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 09-11-2020 at 11:02 PM..

Old 09-11-2020, 10:55 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
So lets see.......you have never been to Chicago, but don't like its cuisine; you think it is surrounded by cornfields; The west/southwest suburbs are " ordinary and forgettable", and yet you have never heard of Hinsdale, Oak brook, Western Springs, Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills, Naperville, St. Charles, Geneva, Glen Ellyn, Palos Park etc., some of the wealthiest and most attractive suburbs in the country ( Hinsdale alone is wealthier than Wellesley for a point of reference) , the south surbubs have numerous great towns, (Mokena, Frankfort, Palos Heights, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Flossmoor) who are not declining ; you are depending on word or mouth from those in the inner city to describe the suburbs? Very inaccurate post, maybe some homework might help next time, just say'n.
yea yea but in general am I right? There's exceptions to every rule or trend. That doesn't phase me.

I did my homework already in looking for housing out there, living with people from Chicago (literally), studying and reading about Chicago. The only thing left is to visit.

I told you my impressions i didn't say it was gospel.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:46 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
yea yea but in general am I right? There's exceptions to every rule or trend. That doesn't phase me.

I did my homework already in looking for housing out there, living with people from Chicago (literally), studying and reading about Chicago. The only thing left is to visit.

I told you my impressions i didn't say it was gospel.
In general, with all the towns I mentioned, you are wrong about the west/southwest suburbs, and the exceptions are the few bland suburbs like Bolingbrook, Romeoville, Oak Lawn and Burbank. It is not wise to write about a place you have never been to and do limited research for an "impression" and then write like it is gospel. The inaccuracy makes you look bad. The west suburbs, stretching from architecturally interesting and diverse Oak Park to beautiful St. Charles on the Fox River are, for the most part, a great collection of towns with interesting histories along train lines. River Forest, home to mansions of the old mob, Riverside, designed by Fredrick Law Olmstead, the same person who designed Central Park, Naperviile with its river walk, Wheaton, with Wheaton College and Catigny, Lisle with the Botanical Gardens, Oak Brook with its high end shopping and dining, on and on. No, you are not correct on this, sorry.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:15 PM

162 posts, read 126,133 times
Las Vegas is really artificial and tacky . It's built in the middle of a dry hot desert where nothing can survive without massive human intervention . Most of their water is bused in from the hoover dam and other sources. In comparison to Chicago which is built on the shores of Lake Michigan and is the third largest metro in the US. One is world class city the other is more of touristy place for people let loose and to gamble and to party..

Last edited by sidneyinmyeyes34; 09-20-2020 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-20-2020, 07:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,893,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyinmyeyes34 View Post
Las Vegas is really artificial and tacky . It's built in the middle of a dry hot desert where nothing can survive without massive human intervention . Most of their water is bused in from the hoover dam and other sources. In comparison to Chicago which is built on the shores of Lake Michigan and is the third largest metro in the US. One is world class city the other is more of touristy place for people let loose and to gamble and to party..
Best post, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City