Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago versus Las Vegas
Las Vegas 55 23.81%
Chicago 180 77.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 02:43 PM

553 posts, read 410,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Are you sure about that? Vegas is KNOWN for its nightlife, has more of a 24/7 presence, and has a much more active array of performers that attract a wider variety of talent. Chicago is more of a sports bar-type city with your standard sporting venues and concert halls found in a city its size, as well as Second City and a few nightclubs here and there. It wins on under 21-oriented nightlife (and overall Gen Z culture) and traditional highbrow performances, but it seems like technology has had a much more negative impact on Chicago's than Vegas. I'd wish Chicago had a better skywalk and/or subterranean pedway system though to make those winters a little less intimidating.
Chicago has about as robust a nightlife scene as any city anywhere. There's multiple districts in distinct neighborhoods across the city that provide their own unique vibe/character.

The options are widely diverse from burlesque-speakeasys to corner dive-bars or jazz/blues clubs to luxury roof-top lounges to comedy clubs and storefront theaters to the second largest and most prestigious theater district outside Broadway and there's entire districts of gay-bars to underground raves with every conceivable option in-between.

In warmer months there's dozens of neighborhood/ethnic festivals throughout the city which is probably the most extensive in the nation. I can't believe you reduced it to a 'sports-bar' city which is quite the understatement. I wouldn't say Chicago is too dissimilar to NY's variety all-around, just on a smaller scale. Aside from strip-clubs I don't know what experience isn't readily available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 04:18 PM

887 posts, read 627,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Chicago has about as robust a nightlife scene as any city anywhere. There's multiple districts in distinct neighborhoods across the city that provide their own unique vibe/character.

The options are widely diverse from burlesque-speakeasys to corner dive-bars or jazz/blues clubs to luxury roof-top lounges to comedy clubs and storefront theaters to the second largest and most prestigious theater district outside Broadway and there's entire districts of gay-bars to underground raves with every conceivable option in-between.

In warmer months there's dozens of neighborhood/ethnic festivals throughout the city which is probably the most extensive in the nation. I can't believe you reduced it to a 'sports-bar' city which is quite the understatement. I wouldn't say Chicago is too dissimilar to NY's variety all-around, just on a smaller scale. Aside from strip-clubs I don't know what experience isn't readily available.
Chicago is one of the few cities in the US which issues a Late Hour Liquor License. Establishments with these liquor licenses are permitted to remain open until 4 AM Monday through Saturday and 5 AM on Sunday.

As of 2023, there were approximately 140 late-night licenses held by bars and restaurants in Chicago.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:44 PM

521 posts, read 256,737 times
Outside of Miami I"m not sure there's any city that can match Vegas as far as nightlife.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:38 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Chicago is one of the few cities in the US which issues a Late Hour Liquor License. Establishments with these liquor licenses are permitted to remain open until 4 AM Monday through Saturday and 5 AM on Sunday.

As of 2023, there were approximately 140 late-night licenses held by bars and restaurants in Chicago.
The only problem post pandemic, is that not all the bars with late night licenses stay open till 4/5am like they used to do. Green Mill being one example, and Fireside(near Rosehill Cemetery) only operates till 4/5am on certain days only.

Even in the suburbs for the few that allow bars to stay open late(i.e. Niles), many of those bars have cut back to earlier closing times on their own, like Morrison Roadhouse.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:31 PM

11,842 posts, read 8,045,546 times
Its close for me. One thing about Vegas is LA isn't super far.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:10 PM

521 posts, read 256,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Its close for me. One thing about Vegas is LA isn't super far.
Yes. Vegas is closer to LA than Houston is to Dallas.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:40 AM

3,897 posts, read 2,214,718 times
Las Vegas.

Old 01-29-2024, 04:00 AM

63 posts, read 67,993 times
Las Vegas by far. Very vibrant surrounded by beautiful mountains.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:42 AM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post

Chicago doesn’t have anything like the strip. Even if you add up all the districts in Chicago and say “look at all the options”, there’s just the fact that there’s no place like the strip that makes Vegas easily the better nightlife city. That’s why more people fly there than they do Chicago for nightlife

Old 01-29-2024, 11:58 AM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Chicago doesn’t have anything like the strip. Even if you add up all the districts in Chicago and say “look at all the options”, there’s just the fact that there’s no place like the strip that makes Vegas easily the better nightlife city. That’s why more people fly there than they do Chicago for nightlife
Yes, The Strip is unlike anything in the nation when it comes to nightlife as it's objectively the largest centralized location for "fun" in the nation, by a wide margin at that, but it's not most peoples cup of tea and I say that as someone who frequented Vegas on a semi-monthly basis to visit family for years.

Chicago like NYC and (to a degree) Miami go about their gradients of nightlife way differently so it's really hard to compare them to Vegas in that manner.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-29-2024 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City