Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one would you visit?
Oakland 11 12.09%
Baltimore 26 28.57%
San Jose 22 24.18%
Fort Worth 17 18.68%
All of the above/ Other Option 15 16.48%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 03:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times

Advertisements

Personally, I dread business trips to Silicon Valley. The traffic congestion around San Jose is awful and it’s totally car dependent. I’m very glad that’s no longer part of my business travel pattern. Other than that, if you’re declaring it a second city to San Francisco, it easily tops this list out of sheer prosperity. Santa Clara County has been one of the most economically dominant places on the planet for many decades.

As a place to visit, I’d put Baltimore at the top. Easy access from BWI. The inner harbor is gentrified. I fly down occasionally to catch a Red Sox game. Airfare, hotel, and tickets is cheaper than Fenway tickets from an online scalper and parking and the seats aren’t designed for Hobbits. I can ignore that the rest of the city is a vast slum other than Johns Hopkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 10:46 AM

8,873 posts, read 6,885,926 times
Despite the MSA, Baltimore is a primary city in many ways. It's just close enough to DC to get folded in.

Oakland for tourism...mostly because it's an easy train or ferry ride to San Francisco proper. I've taken a train from DC to Baltimore but it takes a while.

If I coudn't leave city limits, then Baltimore.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:48 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times
Lol at Baltimore being an option. It's not a secondary city at all.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:58 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Lol at Baltimore being an option. It's not a secondary city at all.
Then I guess San Jose shouldn't be an option either.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:32 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Then I guess San Jose shouldn't be an option either.
It really shouldn't; San Jose and San Francisco are two completely different cities, and like Baltimore, San Jose is its own separate Metro.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:36 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times
I live in the Bay Area and have been all around San Jose & Oakland. I’ve visited Dallas & Fort Worth numerous times. My pick is Baltimore. I’ve visited DC numerous times, but don’t know much about Baltimore.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:47 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,885,926 times
Baltimore is the only mostly-independent city here. The San Francisco area cities are all part of the same pot. Oakland is in the easy-commute range, and SJ's economy is centered in an area shared with SF.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
It really shouldn't; San Jose and San Francisco are two completely different cities, and like Baltimore, San Jose is its own separate Metro.
Yea, but all of that is pretty moot with regards to the OP. The point being made by the person that opened this thread 11 years ago, is that regardless of us going back and forth in C-D world by metro definitions, the cities being mentioned are not the principle city in their greater region at least by perception. All of them are 50 miles or less to the primary tourist draw city, and therefore a comparison is being asked to be made here. Who all cares about this metro designation stuff in real life? Really? These threads get thrown off so easily because people want to debate the same silly designations over and over. Two of these places literally have combined airport names using both of their local cities names. Let's stop living in the abyss here like there's no merit for asking the question.

You fly into anyone one of these three regions airports (BWI, DFW, OAK, or SFO), which city would you rather tour, assuming you're not going to the other big city in the region? Which would you rather spend time in, stay overnight, enjoy nightlife, walk around and take photos etc.? It's really a simple as that.

Going by that criteria I imagine the average person would say Baltimore and then Oakland. San Jose and Ft Worth simply are less appealing to out of state or out of towners than the other two.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-08-2021 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-08-2021, 02:39 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,158,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Ur cool, it gets annoying tho that people (especially on this site) keep joining Baltimore and DC. if people spend time here they would realize that DC is never even thought about in Baltimore. IDGAF what the census say, they are the same agency that still labels MD as a southern state, when it never really was to begin with.

DMV = DC-Maryland-Virginia region is the strictly the DC area... thats not us.
When I talked to people in Baltimore, they told me that when going to DC, they call it “going to the city”.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
When I talked to people in Baltimore, they told me that when going to DC, they call it “going to the city”.
That's more so in the DC suburbs of MD..."Da City".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City