Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one would you visit?
Oakland 11 12.09%
Baltimore 26 28.57%
San Jose 22 24.18%
Fort Worth 17 18.68%
All of the above/ Other Option 15 16.48%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Advertisements

San Jose !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's not a "fact," that's an opinion. Those other cities you mentioned don't constitute one CSA (Atlanta and Charlotte SURELY don't); DC and Baltimore do, and there's a reason behind that. The two cities share suburbs, an airport, etc. There is definitely interchange between the two cities, but it's not quite as tight-knit as the cities mentioned originally.
I don't disagree with what you've said, but I would say this is a pretty well-accepted opinion. From my experience, I can see more commonalities between Baltimore and Philly than I can see between Baltimore and DC. In fact, I would label DC the most out of place in the NE Corridor (among Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC) because of its influence from a large central government presence. The other cities were started differently, and I can see more similarities in their cultures, economies, etc.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Haven't been to San Jose or Fort Worth, but my vote is for Baltimore. The weather is great (4 fairly mild, but distinct seasons), love the seafood, love the harbor, great great architecture, strong infrastructure, strong economy (ranked by Forbes as 4th best city to find a job this year), amazing history, good universities, one of the best locations in the US (NE Corridor).

Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
The Census is using broad geographic boundaries when they label MD "Southern." It's not that serious.

For starters, it was a slave state.

That's not a "fact," that's an opinion. Those other cities you mentioned don't constitute one CSA (Atlanta and Charlotte SURELY don't); DC and Baltimore do, and there's a reason behind that. The two cities share suburbs, an airport, etc. There is definitely interchange between the two cities, but it's not quite as tight-knit as the cities mentioned originally.
Broad enough to label MD a southern state but intricate enough to tie us to DC? If thats the case you might as well make the NE corridor 1 mega CSA; the same thing happens between all five cities.

NY, PA, NJ, MA, VT, NH, RI, CT must be southern too because they were ALL slave states. There slave burial grounds in NYC and Philly. Who do u think built the wall to what is now Wall street?

We dont "share" an airport BWI is Baltimore's airport. The airport was owned by the City of Baltimore until the MD department of transportation bought it and changed its name for "advertisement" purposes. It is literally right outside of Baltimore City.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 08-24-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I don't disagree with what you've said, but I would say this is a pretty well-accepted opinion.
Do you know what statement I was referencing? MrRedd said, "If thats the case then connect Philly with NYC, Milwaukee to Chicago, Charlotte to Atlanta, and San Diego to LA." How is any of that a "well-accepted opinion"? While those cities have some sort of relationship, they are not CSAs (even though in a few years/decades, I could see something like that evolving for some of them). At any rate, the relationship between DC and Baltimore is much more interconnected than any of those cities--especially Atlanta and Charlotte, which are about four hours away, compared with 30-45 min separating DC and Baltimore.

Quote:
From my experience, I can see more commonalities between Baltimore and Philly than I can see between Baltimore and DC. In fact, I would label DC the most out of place in the NE Corridor (among Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC) because of its influence from a large central government presence. The other cities were started differently, and I can see more similarities in their cultures, economies, etc.
There's a difference between cultural similarities and economic interconnectedness.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Do you know what statement I was referencing? MrRedd said, "If thats the case then connect Philly with NYC, Milwaukee to Chicago, Charlotte to Atlanta, and San Diego to LA." How is any of that a "well-accepted opinion"? While those cities have some sort of relationship, they are not CSAs (even though in a few years/decades, I could see something like that evolving for some of them). At any rate, the relationship between DC and Baltimore is much more interconnected than any of those cities--especially Atlanta and Charlotte, which are about four hours away, compared with 30-45 min separating DC and Baltimore.

There's a difference between cultural similarities and economic interconnectedness.
Tell me, how is Baltimore and DC so connected? Since u live here.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Broad enough to label MD a southern state but intricate enough to tie us to DC?
Yes. Hell, the District of Columbia as it exists now used to be in Maryland!

Quote:
If thats the case you might as well make the NE corridor 1 mega CSA; the same thing happens between all five cities.
Actually, it already is a "mega CSA"; it's called the BosWash or Northeast megalopolis.

Quote:
NY, PA, NJ, MA, VT, NH must be southern too because they were ALL slave states. Who do u think built the wall to what is now Wall street?
Apparently you don't know what "slave state" or "free state" means within its historical context. Brush up on your history by starting here. As you can see, at that particular time, Maryland had more in common with the Southern states than the Northern states. But I'm really not trying to go down this "Is Maryland Southern" road in this thread. Just read up on the history of your state and you'll know that that wasn't even a question historically speaking.

Quote:
We dont "share" an airport BWI is Baltimore's airport. The airport was owned by the City of Baltimore until the MD department of transportation bought it and changed its name for "advertisement" purposes. It is literally right outside of Baltimore City.
BWI is a secondary/tertiary airport of DC and the primary airport of Washington. Come on dude, you're being quite disingenuous if you deny the fact that it is a shared airport between the two cities to a certain degree. The description of the airport on its website even states, "The Baltimore Washington International Airport serves residents and travelers in the Baltimore/Washington Corridor."

You obviously have something against DC, and that's fine, but you're seriously letting that bias get in the way of facts on the ground. That's not good.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Tell me, how is Baltimore and DC so connected? Since u live here.
Easily; both cities are in the same CSA, so they automatically have a level of economic interconnectedness. That's the essential definition of a CSA. The cities are only about 45 minutes from each other and, as I stated earlier, share suburbs and Baltimore's primary airport is a secondary airport for DC. Come on dude, let's get real here. Both are distinct cities with their own sphere of influences, but to say that Baltimore and DC are totally separate cities that lack any sort of interaction or interconnectedness is just asinine and delusional.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Actually, it already is a "mega CSA"; it's called the BosWash or Northeast megalopolis.

Apparently you don't know what "slave state" or "free state" means within its historical context. Brush up on your history by starting here. As you can see, at that particular time, Maryland had more in common with the Southern states than the Northern states. But I'm really not trying to go down this "Is Maryland Southern" road in this thread. Just read up on the history of your state and you'll know that that wasn't even a question historically speaking.

BWI is a secondary/tertiary airport of DC and the primary airport of Washington. Come on dude, you're being quite disingenuous if you deny the fact that it is a shared airport between the two cities to a certain degree. The description of the airport on its website even states, "The Baltimore Washington International Airport serves residents and travelers in the Baltimore/Washington Corridor."

You obviously have something against DC, and that's fine, but you're seriously letting that bias get in the way of facts on the ground. That's not good.
1. Where did that come from?? You totally missed the point of that statement.

2. CSA and a Megalopolis are completely different, but all 5 cities interact the way that Baltimore & DC does. So no, you dont get points for that

3. Maybe YOU should brush oh on YOUR history any try not to wiggle away from the fact that u said MD is southern because they had slaves. When it is a fact that NY,NJ,PA and New England had them too.

4. I wont argue with that, but that's what i said earlier when i said "marketing purposes", but it is Baltimore's airport.

Obviously your coming to your own false conclusion if u think i have something against DC. i never said anything bad about it. My argument is that Baltimore is a completely seperate and independant city from DC. when you hear stupid statements like "Baltimore has a basketball team, it shares the wizards with DC", it gets annoying. I dont know why you keep bringing up the time its take to travel between the 2 cities like that means something. If that was the case, Philly is only an hour away.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Easily; both cities are in the same CSA, so they automatically have a level of economic interconnectedness. That's the essential definition of a CSA. The cities are only about 45 minutes from each other and, as I stated earlier, share suburbs and Baltimore's primary airport is a secondary airport for DC. Come on dude, let's get real here. Both are distinct cities with their own sphere of influences, but to say that Baltimore and DC are totally separate cities that lack any sort of interaction or interconnectedness is just asinine and delusional.
I did NOT say that DC is not interconnected with Baltimore, but to say they are NOT totally separate and independent cities is delusional and uninformed. You make it seem as tho Baltimore CANNOT AND DOES NOT function with out DC. It's like having a sibling that you dont live with. Sure you interact but you lead to completely independent, separate lives. Get it now?? why it is so hard for u to comprehend; Do you have something against Baltimore??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City