Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 AM

39 posts, read 160,769 times

Advertisements

Can a body of 100K+ people located in the same geo area, be generalized?

e.g. City A is more friendly. City B has the best this or that. City C is the most romantic. etc. etc. etc.

What are people using to come to these conclusions other than personal experiences which could be highly susceptible to randomness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times
No and it drives me nuts when people try to. Especially with major metro areas (over 3 million).

Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,349,636 times
Friendly, not much difference. Although I would say New Orleans is more romantic than Detroit or Providence.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,394,059 times
Yes. They can. People who think otherwise are just trying too hard to be PC.

When you pull together things like:
- weather and amount of clothing worn/time spent indoors or outdoors
- political beliefs
- religious beliefs
- anthropoligcal roots/ethnicities
- economic base
- economic conditions
- and on and on and on

you can paint with a fairly broad brush and be about 90% right.

It is also why people move and find they love one place and dislike another. People don't change in 3 months. It's just that the overall social/political/religious vibe of different cities varies. Then, when you hear a whole bunch of people make the same type of observations, you know there's something to it.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,950,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes. They can. People who think otherwise are just trying too hard to be PC.

When you pull together things like:
- weather and amount of clothing worn/time spent indoors or outdoors
- political beliefs
- religious beliefs
- anthropoligcal roots/ethnicities
- economic base
- economic conditions
- and on and on and on

you can paint with a fairly broad brush and be about 90% right.

It is also why people move and find they love one place and dislike another. People don't change in 3 months. It's just that the overall social/political/religious vibe of different cities varies. Then, when you hear a whole bunch of people make the same type of observations, you know there's something to it.
I don't think that's ENTIRELY true because LA ISN'T a giant cultureless, spanish speaking, gang infested, third world suburb. But I could have sworn CD told me it was...

When it comes to the people I don't think it's true either. With people and the judgement of the one person making the generalizations, there are just too many variables that skew whatever facts that DID exist into more or less just another personal opinion of one person.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I don't think that's ENTIRELY true because LA ISN'T a giant cultureless, spanish speaking, gang infested, third world suburb. But I could have sworn CD told me it was...

When it comes to the people I don't think it's true either. With people and the judgement of the one person making the generalizations, there are just too many variables that skew whatever facts that DID exist into more or less just another personal opinion of one person.
I would probably listen to a DOZEN opinions of people who have been to a place, and put together a condensed version.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM

419 posts, read 999,588 times
I think so because certain cities attract certain types of people.

Also certain cities are dominated by certain industries.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
I think so because certain cities attract certain types of people.
Absolutely:
Los Angeles - those who want to get into the entertainment industry
New York - those who want to get into financial services or publishing/other creative endeavors
Chicago - people who want to live in one of America's Big 3, but find a reason to bash NY or LA, and are usually from the Midwest
San Diego - those who want to live by the beach in a Mediterranean setting
Miami - elderly Italian and Jewish retirees from NY/NJ/CT/PA, and Latin American immigrants
Houston - middle class people and recent grads who want to own a nice home
Atlanta - middle class people and recent grads who want to own a nice home
Denver - people who want to leave the Midwest for the West, but just can't make the hop over the Front Range
Pittsburgh - people who want a balanced QOL in a forested, hilly river city
Seattle - people who want a liberal, hip, outdoorsy, scenic and (delusionally) laid-back environment
Boston - people who want a liberal, intellectual and (reportedly) uptight environment
Las Vegas - people from NY and Chicago who want to be sketchy types under sunnier skies and people from LA who want to buy a house, any house
Phoenix - Chicagoans who want to continue partying, after graduating from "academically challenging" ASU

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveabucket View Post
Can a body of 100K+ people located in the same geo area, be generalized?

e.g. City A is more friendly. City B has the best this or that. City C is the most romantic. etc. etc. etc.

What are people using to come to these conclusions other than personal experiences which could be highly susceptible to randomness?
Absolutely not. People who think otherwise have not spent extensive time in different parts of cities, talking to different people.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times
The problem lies when people incorrectly stereotype a place. Living in Texas, when I leave Texas to travel, I see that all the time. Having to listen about big hair and cowboys from someone who has never been here gets annoying. People get shocked when I tell them that there is actually a lot of multiculturalism here in Dallas and in Houston and that the cities are primarily liberal.

It does get old especially for someone who lives on the road like I do. Especially from people (and there are a ton of them on CD as well) who think they know a place but in reality are clueless.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 05-08-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City