Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities would you like to see host the World Cup the most?
Los Angeles 27 30.34%
New York 24 26.97%
San Diego 14 15.73%
Seattle 23 25.84%
Denver 15 16.85%
Houston 20 22.47%
Kansas City 7 7.87%
Indianapolis 7 7.87%
Philidelphia 22 24.72%
Miami 16 17.98%
Washington D.C. 24 26.97%
Dallas 16 17.98%
Tampa 8 8.99%
Boston 16 17.98%
Baltimore 10 11.24%
Atlanta 15 16.85%
Phoenix 7 7.87%
Nashville 9 10.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:13 AM

200 posts, read 294,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'd much rather see it played at AA Arena.

I know Jerry would put off getting another face lift to have the World Cup at his Deathstar though.
You are talking about soccer right?

Anyways, I've been following this bid very closely. I think 6 or 7 cities are locks if we were to host the World Cup.

New York City: Obvious Reasons
Washington DC: Biggest stadium out of the proposed sites, capital
Los Angeles: Though they have older stadiums, will get it regardless, definite host if they get a new stadium.
Miami: This site appeals to Latin America, plus they have a stadium built with a soccer pitch in mind.
DFW: Arguably best stadium on the list, huge market, Jerry Jones will do anything to host matches.
Houston: Though another Texas city, it has a retractable roof stadium, a Latin American soccer market, plus its on the last stop of FIFA's US tour bid, which I think solidifies Houston's bid.
Seattle: Great soccer stadium, and probably the best soccer fan base in the US

As for the other cities...

Boston/Philly/Baltimore: Because NYC and DC are likely to host, I only think one more city is likely to host out of the Northeast. Boston has always had a sizable soccer fanbase, but its stadium is in Foxborough, which could be troublesome for transportation and hotels. Philadelphia has a great location for its stadium, but it sits in right between NYC and DC. Baltimore although has a great venue, its too close to DC. I'm inclined to think that Boston has the edge here out of the these cities.

San Diego/Phoenix: Phoenix has the better stadium while San Diego has the bigger soccer fanbase. If San Diego gets a new stadium, then I think San Diego has a huge edge here.

Denver: Very nice football stadium, but its very remote in its geography (though the same could be said for Seattle)

KC/Indy: Both have nice stadiums. Indy has the roof while KC has the bigger stadium and soccer fanbase already established. However both cities, in no disrespect to them, are not really internationally known.

Atlanta/Nashville/Tampa: Hard to see another southern city selected if DFW, Houston, and Miami are almost locks. Atlanta has a dome, which could be hard to host matches because they don't play on artificial turf, though its been done before in the Silverdome with grass (There are rumors of removing the roof in the future). Nashville and Tampa have hosted US friendly matches, but are not really internationally known.

My assumptions are based on rewarding cities that have a soccer community established such as having a MLS team and also name recognition. FIFA and the US committee could have a different criteria. In the end, I think cities will be split up into different pods for traveling purposes for the fans. Pods would be split up into Northeast, South, Midwest, and West regions of 3 cities. I haven't taken into consideration of the Bay Area and Chicago. I think FIFA and the US bid team are willing to make exceptions for these cities later on if we host, especially if the Bay Area gets a new stadium. If that's the case, San Diego, Phoenix, KC, and Indianapolis could be in trouble trying to host matches. Again this is my opinion, nothing concrete on what will happen if selected.

Last edited by Fairlady Z; 09-07-2010 at 02:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:44 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets616 View Post
Houston, being an up and coming city would be a great choice to host the World Cup. But they would have to extend the mass transit quite soon for that to happen.
This is the one of the biggest reasons, along with the Super Bowl and 2016 Olympic bid, why the MetroRail was built in the first place. But yes Houston does need to extend what they already have now, and METRO knows that.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Just for the record.

Over 52,000 showed up at Arrowhead stadium to watch the KC Wizards (MLS) play Manchester's second team that wasn't on "national" TV and basically few outside of KC even knew the game took place. I think KC had the second largest crowd for the Manchester United 2010 USA tour.

KC has also hosted other large soccer matches such as cup qualifiers, USA women's etc that also drew decent crowds.

The MLS KC Wizards currently are dead last in attendance only because they are playing in a temporary minor league baseball stadium that only seats 10k, which is what the Wizards average. So they are simply at capacity right now.

Suburban KCK is building a brand new stadium for the Wizards which could arguably be one of the finest soccer stadiums in the country when it opens next year.

Although a very different sport, the indoor KC Comets soccer team outdrew almost every NHL and NBA team during their peak in the 80's. Metro KC has some of the highest quality soccer facilities and fields you will find anyplace and youth soccer is extremely popular in metro KC.

My point is that Kansas City probably deserves this as much as any city despite its location. KC isn't internationally known sure, but so what. It's not domestically known either. Few have any idea what KC is like or what it offers right here in america. I continue to learn that everyday since I moved to the DC area.

New Wizards Stadium

KC vs Manchester

Old 09-07-2010, 11:41 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Whatever the final list is, it needs to include Miami. Miami has so much South American and European population that interest in World Cup is pretty enormous by US standards.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
The Sounders have already installed grass for a friendly before. (Man. U. as I recall)

Seattle is far and a away the best soccer market in the country.
I don't know where you come up with Seattle being far and away the best soccer market in the country.

Houston, Miami and Tampa are all a bigger soccer market than Seattle.

I would think Tampa/Miami or Houston/Dallas would be the best choices.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I don't know where you come up with Seattle being far and away the best soccer market in the country.

Houston, Miami and Tampa are all a bigger soccer market than Seattle.

I would think Tampa/Miami or Houston/Dallas would be the best choices.
Basing it simply, or largely, due to the reason that its MLS Soccer Franchise is the best attended. Still doesn't make it the best soccer market, though.

I mean, Houston was one of 2 US cities FIFA's 2010 World Cup Trophy Tour,(the other being Miami) and it was the last stop at that, before heading back to South Africa. It has a good history of hosting international friendlies. It has a great stadium. It has one of the largest Latin American populations, and is one of the most diverse metros in the US, making it a very international city. It is a top 10 media market. It hosted, and rather well, the 2010 MLS All Star Game vs ManU, which of course was one of the top 5 most attended All Star Games in US proffesional sports history. It is currently the last stop for FIFA's 5 city tour of US's Bid for either 2018/2022. How can Seattle make a case against being a better soccer market than Houston, let alone best in the US.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM

228 posts, read 397,658 times
Dallas hosted World Cup Games at the Cotton Bowl with 90,000+ fans played on grass.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:40 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb0810 View Post
Dallas hosted World Cup Games at the Cotton Bowl with 90,000+ fans played on grass.
Dallas and Los Angeles were the international broadcasting centers for the 1994 World Cup. They have already proven they can handle whatever the World Cup throws at them.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,763 times
[quote=Fairlady Z;15784929]You are talking about soccer right?

Anyways, I've been following this bid very closely. I think 6 or 7 cities are locks if we were to host the World Cup.

New York City: Obvious Reasons
Washington DC: Biggest stadium out of the proposed sites, capital
Los Angeles: Though they have older stadiums, will get it regardless, definite host if they get a new stadium.
Miami: This site appeals to Latin America, plus they have a stadium built with a soccer pitch in mind.
DFW: Arguably best stadium on the list, huge market, Jerry Jones will do anything to host matches.
Houston: Though another Texas city, it has a retractable roof stadium, a Latin American soccer market, plus its on the last stop of FIFA's US tour bid, which I think solidifies Houston's bid.
Seattle: Great soccer stadium, and probably the best soccer fan base in the US

Very true. Within Houston, the Dynamo have a cult following and are getting their own stadium soon. The Dynamo stadium won't be big enough to host a World Cup match (capacity around 25-30k) but Reliant will be. Plus, while Houston is losing Continental (which is merging with United), Bush Intercontinental will be the largest United hub in America making it (what United has called it) the "gateway to Latin America".

I really think Houston (and Dallas) is a shoe-in to host World Cup matches. By the time 2022 rolls around, our light rail system will be expanded (expansion construction work is underway as I type this).

World Cup 2022: United States all the way baby!!! The Game Is In US!

Go USA Bid: Bring the FIFA World Cup back to the United States in 2018/2022

Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,221 times
I forgot about the Cotton Bowl. In that case, axe Nashville and put Dallas in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City