Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
The neighborhoods are poor but the vast majority of the people are good. To call them trash is sorta like Mitt Romney or Gates sneering at working americans and calling YOU guys trash. remember, there is always someone more successful than you.
I said SOME...I was actually very poor once upon a time, and lived in an awful place. Granted none of these neighborhoods, but still bad. There are some wonderful poor people who are just in hard times. But many are, in fact trash, and are poor due to consistently bad choices.
Yes, there are many people more successful than me, and there always will be. But I'm a hell of a lot better off than I used to be

My original point was lost guys, why bicker and abuse each other?! Agree to disagree. And dont be ghetto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I said SOME...I was actually very poor once upon a time, and lived in an awful place. Granted none of these neighborhoods, but still bad. There are some wonderful poor people who are just in hard times. But many are, in fact trash, and are poor due to consistently bad choices.
Yes, there are many people more successful than me, and there always will be. But I'm a hell of a lot better off than I used to be

My original point was lost guys, why bicker and abuse each other?! Agree to disagree. And dont be ghetto
i agree with you 100 percent. Ghettos are trash talked because of the few rotten apples in them who ruined the area and make society beleive that the whole ghetto is full of rats.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM

148 posts, read 238,840 times
Default some places are really messed up

i dont have alot of pics so i guess youz just gonna have to googlemap it or something.... years ago when i used to promo for underground rave party events we used to literally use abandoned warehouses to throw events back in the 90s... also before goin there i had some friends with fast cars that would go out drifting in abandonded factory districts... some pretty rough areas around chi west side by Lake & Cicero, specifically the neighborhoods (austin or west austin?) off cicero ave goin northbound beteween 290 and north ave... K - town (every street starts with a K - kostner kilpatrick keeler etc.) close to or around independence blvd... also the "wild 100s" on the southside, and around 103rd stony island/torrance blvd/cottage grove... also some of the areas close to in or around chinatown cermak/22nd, ashland/43rd, archer/Loomis... i clearly remember hearing people firing pistols into the air the night of july 4th, as i was gettin back on the dan ryan expy around 18th st./canalport area. 42nd/ pulaski is kinda messed up too.

anybody askin on this forum wheres a good place to move to in chi-town, of course i say jefferson park, but im biased... try to avoid the places above. its ridiculous seeing the double parked cars and hand-to-hand drug deals boldy happenning in plain sight not even a block down when looking from the main st down the blocks on the side streets. the police camera boxes are on, but its like no one cares anymore... sad what has happenned to once decent places throughout the midwest. its easy to say compton, watts, east la, or south bronx, bed/sty, camden, and i hope they get better... But detroit, east st. louis, Gary, and east chicago are some messed up places that really need a new slate... sorry if my locations may be not 100% accurate... im trying to remember places i was passing by a while back....

oh and btw, ive found some of the best food and local flavors eating at some places in the hood. it amazes me how they are able to hang on despite struggling and working hard, so theres no way that EVERYONE from the hood is trash. thats absurd. thats like saying everyone on the northside can do no wrong... lol exactly-wtf?... hell, ive met some of successful enterpreneurs that grew up hard poorer than dirt. Manny Pacquiao is one of them... now hes a congressman and boxing champion. that pic of the jakarta slum reminds me of where Manny is from in Sarangani province, Phillipines. if i remember correctly alot of people in the rest of the world live in poverty far worse than here in the usa.... your jaw would fall off if you saw the shanty slums on the Pasig river in metro manila, considered biologically dead since its so polluted... i know. i visited metro manila in '09... i feel very sad about poverty in my home country, but also so lucky to live here in the chi...

lake n cicero

same corner swarming with cpd

pasig river in metro manila...

Last edited by jpchi60630; 07-25-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 PM

711 posts, read 1,498,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i agree with you 100 percent. Ghettos are trash talked because of the few rotten apples in them who ruined the area and make society beleive that the whole ghetto is full of rats.
True, but those communities loose so much respect when they let those rotten apples influence culture.

It's such a major problem in America that nobody is talking about.

Last edited by Legendof302; 07-28-2012 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 04:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Only in comparison to Philly & Camden.

I have been all over the US and just think it is strange that the worst 2 ghettos in America connect by a bridge.
The Philadelphia side of the bridge is fine. On the Camden side, you have Rutgers University on the southern side of the bridge, so it's only the northern side of the bridge on the Camden side that's bad (though visually, it doesn't look too bad in the areas immediately bordering the bridge, but as you go further north, you see worse-looking blocks).

Old 07-29-2012, 06:28 PM

711 posts, read 1,498,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The Philadelphia side of the bridge is fine. On the Camden side, you have Rutgers University on the southern side of the bridge, so it's only the northern side of the bridge on the Camden side that's bad (though visually, it doesn't look too bad in the areas immediately bordering the bridge, but as you go further north, you see worse-looking blocks).
Yea but what im saying is North Philly is only minutes away.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Yea but what im saying is North Philly is only minutes away.
All of the neighborhoods in North Philadelphia bordering the bridge have been gentrified. North Philly doesn't get bad until Girard Avenue now. Even past that some neighborhoods are being gentrified (Yorktown, Templetown, Brewerytown, southern and eastern fringes of North Central, Kensington, Olde Kensington, New Kensington.

The terrible areas are all much further North like Strawberry Mansion, West Kensington (The Badlands), Hunting Park, Tioga/Nicetown, Frankford, Juniata Park/Feltonville, Allegheny.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Gary Indiana is the worst i seen. I remeber i had no clue the place even existed when i was on my way to chicago. I decided to stop somewhere before i hit illinoise shocking gas prices so i stopped off a random exit right when i got on the 1-80 west. Right when i get off the exit god that place is a dump, it smells i saw homeless people everywhere. theirs random feild in the middle of the city, abandon houses in radom spots, crappy grocery market, people doing heroin, every car i saw was from the mid 90s except the ones all the rappers drive(chrysler something) and when i tried to get gas the gas thing broke, there are no restaurants except for kfc and taco bell not even mcdonalds could set up a restaurant in this dump. I even saw houses that half of it was torn down the other still standing so i could have a clear view of the upstairs and downstarirs. In camden you can escape to philly right across but in gary there nothing if go south your in farmland if you go east your in farmland if you go west your in another ghetto but not as bad as gary. Downtown is 35 miles away.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Only in comparison to Philly & Camden.

I have been all over the US and just think it is strange that the worst 2 ghettos in America connect by a bridge.
The worst two ghettos connected by a bridge is camden, gary which in my opinon is worst isnt connected by a bridge its connected by land

Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKat3230 View Post
When I was in my early twenties (1999) I drove through Camden New Jersey - at the time that place scared the bejeezus out of me, first ghetto I had ever laid eyes on.
Wow your parents must have protected you for those bad bad people when you will living in ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City