Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Yes seriously. NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, against Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, what do you think majority of the people will pick? We can agree to disagree, as you stated your preferred GA over NY and NYC.
What do I think the majority would pick? The southern states.

Only difference is I can back my opinion up with data to support it.

Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon Kirkpatrick View Post
What about Philly to N.O. vs Philly to Atlanta? Which location would Philadelphians consider to be the smoother transition?

I can't say, but I'd assume the Philly - ATL transition would be smoother (not because of metro layout) because the vibe/pace seems much closer. Not to mention the scores of fellow NE'ers they'd encounter once here.
I can agree with that. While I think that it would be easier for someone to adapt to N.O. than Atlanta, A person moving to Atlanta from Philly would have plenty of other people from their region to network with (same with N.O. people and evacuees). It would still be a big adjustment tough in terms of everything else. On the other hand, New Orleans isn't as slow and relaxed as everyone assumes. You're going to see more pedestrian activity overall in N.O., it's not uncommon to see drivers cursing at pedestrians or other drivers loudly or even throwing things out the window at other cars and everybody loves to honk at everybody. Lastly, N.O. people are much more brazen and impatient than they are portrayed in the media.

The way I see it, larger older cities will always have commonalities with each other no matter where they are and the same with newer cities.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM

803 posts, read 1,264,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Deep South ....................

NOT!

Other than Bibles, insane preachers who want to destroy the country, more Bibles, college football, humidity, and guns, what's in the Deep South anyway?

OK I kid. I know there's lots in the Deep South that isn't related to the things that give this country such a bad name, like NASA, and Disney, and some aerospace manufacturing. But ... that's about it. NE all the way.

I also notice that southerners tend to be bitter and put up a front about everything, they LOVE to put other areas down.

Northeast > Deep south

Take it from someone who has lived in both AS A MEMBER OF A MINORITY GROUP

Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Oh and as for "hoodrats", I see many many many of them in my area and in other areas of the deep south I go to so I don't know HOW the Northeast gets the flak for that.

Eitherways, I can't wait to move to the upper south or at least move out of this dump.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I also notice that southerners tend to be bitter and put up a front about everything, they LOVE to put other areas down.

Northeast > Deep south

Take it from someone who has lived in both AS A MEMBER OF A MINORITY GROUP
The irony of these posts are laughable.

You are 18 and have lived in the south for the past 6 years. What great information can you impart to us about the northern areas you lived in when you were say 10-11 years old.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 AM

also vacationed there a lot, for at least a month every year

most people up north don't care to waste too much time putting down the south while most southerners are bragging about how the south is better than the "liberal" North which is full of libs, commies and so forth

makes me sick and it is funny when most of them play the role of victim to make it seem like people make fun of them, most people could care less for a place which is broke and has the fattest and poorest states in the country

I have my statistics to back that up

Fattest States 2010: CalorieLab's Annual Obesity Map - State Obesity Rankings

America's wealthiest (and poorest) states - Sep. 16, 2010

Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Oh and if you want you can write an essay about how the "liberal media makes up dem lies!", I actually have things to do with mines so you can say all you want. As far as I am concerned, it is not changing my opinion of this place to the SLIGHTEST.

Seen it before hand and I have seen other places, the deep south does not even compare to the Northeast at all!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:02 AM

12 posts, read 6,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi;
Oh and if you want you can write an essay about how the "liberal media makes up dem lies!", I actually have things to do with mines so you can say all you want. As far as I am concerned, it is not changing my opinion of this place to the SLIGHTEST.

Seen it before hand and I have seen other places, the deep south does not even compare to the Northeast at all!
we agree, it's much newer with fewer rats

Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
also vacationed there a lot, for at least a month every year

most people up north don't care to waste too much time putting down the south while most southerners are bragging about how the south is better than the "liberal" North which is full of libs, commies and so forth

Have you even bothered reading this thread to see where most of the insults have come from?

makes me sick and it is funny when most of them play the role of victim to make it seem like people make fun of them, most people could care less for a place which is broke and has the fattest and poorest states in the country

I have my statistics to back that up

Fattest States 2010: CalorieLab's Annual Obesity Map - State Obesity Rankings

There are 49 states with an obesity rate over 20%. Are you trying to rationalize that because SOME northern states are not as high SOME southern states it means there is no problem? I know my southern state is lower than many northern states. Except for a few states the difference in obesity rates is not that much between all other states.

America's wealthiest (and poorest) states - Sep. 16, 2010

Now figure COL into the equation and you get a whole other story. It doesn't matter much if you make $20,000 more in one state compared to another if your housing and taxes eats all that up.
filla

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon Kirkpatrick View Post
What about Philly to N.O. vs Philly to Atlanta? Which location would Philadelphians consider to be the smoother transition?

I can't say, but I'd assume the Philly - ATL transition would be smoother (not because of metro layout) because the vibe/pace seems much closer. Not to mention the scores of fellow NE'ers they'd encounter once here.

I totally Agree and you will hardly ever see flocks of people from Northeast Flocking to N.O.. as you would Atlanta.. The reason being is in Bold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City