Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
After watching those video's there's no way any sensible person could think Cincinnati has more than Atlanta whether you think it looks like Dallas, Houston or not.
Your definition of urban is different than mine. I define urban based on the 5 major uban centers of America, those being New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, and San Francisco. When you compare Cincinnati to these cities it obvious that it is much more urban than Atlanta.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
You are 100% correct. Atlanta feels like a sprawling big, new, suburb, while Cincy feels like an East Coast city.

I'm starting to think that these Atlanta folk just don't know what American cities feel like.
I've been to New York, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Newark, Denver, etc. etc. And I still say even though Cincinnatis' urban core may be larger than our Downtown. Overall Atlanta is far more urban than Cincinnati.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-06-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Your definition of urban is different than mine. I define urban based on the 5 major uban centers of America, those being New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, and San Francisco. When you compare Cincinnati to these cities it obvious that it is much more urban than Atlanta.
So after watching those video's you honestly think Cincinnati has more Urban Development than Atlanta? You're trying to tell me that Downtown Cincinnati has more than Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Atlantic Station? If you really looked at those videos they would speak for themselves. Instead you just glimpsed at them for a second or two and stated your preconceived opinion. If you don't have time to watch them that's understandable. But don't lie and say you watched them and they proved your point.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 AM

436 posts, read 951,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

MARTA along with the New York Subway and PATH, Boston MBTA, Philly SEPTA, San Francisco BART, DC Metro, Chicago El, Miami Metrorail, the Baltimore Subway, the LA Metro, Tren Urbano in San Juan, Cleveland RTA Red Line are all heavy rail transit systems. Some cities call them subways, rapid transit lines, or Metros but they are all classified as heavy rail.
Come on. Grow up. I addressed this in an earlier thread. Were you not paying attention? Were my words too tough for you to understand?

When you say the El is light rail, you've lost all credibility, and you're showing that you're part of a group that doesn't know its rear from first base.

In the last few years, some public planners have become very sloppy with the terms light rail and heavy rail, defining the terms downward so that they can make nonsense claims that light rail systems such as the El and MARTA are "heavy rail."

You wouldn't know the difference, in any case. All I can say is thank God heavy rail doesn't run on the El tracks.

YouTube - El-Train on old wabash corner

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, they do. They start with whatever Atlanta has and claim that's the benchmark. Pittsburgh feels urban. Milwaukee feels urban. Cleveland feels urban. Atlanta, not so much.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
So after watching those video's you honestly think Cincinnati has more Urban Development than Atlanta?
SMACK!

Quit changing the subject and changing the context of words.

He's got you beat, and you're trying to twist out of it.

Just because it's "development" doesn't mean it's "urban" development.

SMACK!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
While you argueing about a Rail system.. Let's talk about how Cincy doesn't even have one.. How are u classifying cincy as a urban center like Philly NYC. etc when there is no transit connecting u too any of your urban centers.. I guess they will get on a bus or walk 50 miles to downtown..Atleast I can walk out of my home hop on a train and head too shopping districts work and to some clubs and bars.. Can u do that in CINCY NO!!!!.. Atlanta is always going to be ahead of cincy in Population, global and International status If we laid everything out Atlanta tops Cincy.. Even with Atlanta being in A recession our city is still growing faster and our GDP is way higher than Cincy.. 3 2 1. Catergory closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Come on. Grow up. I addressed this in an earlier thread. Were you not paying attention? Were my words too tough for you to understand?

When you say the El is light rail, you've lost all credibility, and you're showing that you're part of a group that doesn't know its rear from first base.

In the last few years, some public planners have become very sloppy with the terms light rail and heavy rail, defining the terms downward so that they can make nonsense claims that light rail systems such as the El and MARTA are "heavy rail."

You wouldn't know the difference, in any case. All I can say is thank God heavy rail doesn't run on the El tracks.

YouTube - El-Train on old wabash corner

Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Having visited both cities, Cincinnati feels more like an east coast urban city while Atlanta feels more like Dallas with high rises, but without a strong urban core.

Last time I checked Dallas had highrises, maybe you are confusing the Atlanta we're discussing on this thread with this one.

Now back to this discussion, Cincinnati is very urban. There is no disputing that. But more urban than Atlanta? If you limit yourself to your definition of urban to mean that "most houses and buildings are made out of brick in central Cincinnati" then you may be right, but by every other measure, no. I mean seriously, do people really think a metro would reach almost 6 million people without a strong urban core? It has never happened in human history.

For one, "urban" comes in many physical forms. Some seem to think this is a very specific look and anything that deviates from that is "not urban". I'll keep from stating what I believe about people who think in such away, but instead I'll just go about showing you what I mean.

First, one of things that makes a city "urban" is at it's center there is a highly built up area containing high density areas for living, commerce, monuments, and entertainment.

In the image above is the literal center of Atlanta. The area contains:

-70,000 residents (8th most out of all American cities)
-The campuses of Georgia Institute of Technology and Georgia State University and their combined 50,000 students
-The two main CBDs of Atlanta, the Federal government center, and the State government center. All combined an additional 200,000 or so workers in the area each day.
-The convention center that frequently hosts 100,000+ conventions
-Monuments to the XXVI Olympiad, Martin Luther King Jr, President Carter's Library and foreign policy center just to name a few
-11 subway stations (of MARTA's 38 total)
-All of the Major League sports stadiums (Braves, Hawks, the Dream, Falcons, Thrashers)
-Dozens of theaters, museums, and art galleries
-Two grand urban parks (Piedmont and Centennial Olympic Park) with a third on the way (Fourth Ward Park)

Basically everything you would expect to see in the center of a major urban area. This creates a bustling urban core that people some how think doesn't exist here. For example:

Photos removed by moderator. One or more violate copyrights of other sites, and they have been posted before. Please see the room sticky regarding posting photos.

That however is just a small sampling...and just the beginning. As with every urban center, the city is backed up by great neighborhoods. This is something Atlanta is no short supply of. There are 26 districts in the City of Atlanta and over 100 individual neighborhoods. Since this post is already getting long, I'll post links for you to get a concept of their urban form.

Virginia-Highland

Flickr: Borders for Atlanta's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bordersforatlanta - broken link)

Little 5 Points

Flickr: lostinhotlanta's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostinhotlanta - broken link)

Flickr: chaosezine's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaosezine - broken link)

Decatur

Flickr: Mrs Ramsay's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46233655@N00 - broken link)

Atlantic Station

Flickr: ryan myers captures' Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rymy77 - broken link)

Courtesy of GAlounger

And again, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I could go on for pages, but I think you should get the idea by now. No, Atlanta does not look like a late 19th century industrial city like Cincinnati (not that we don't have neighborhoods and buildings from that era) but it is far from the ridiculous claim people make on here that it is "not urban".

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-06-2010 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I mean seriously, do people really think a metro would reach almost 6 million people without a strong urban core? It has never happened in human history.
Really? Did you forget Los Angeles.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote and bicker removed. Stick to the topic, please.

Aside from that, the fact remains that outside of Amtrak, Cincinnati does not have any kind of rail light, heavy or other wise. No matter what you decide as to what it should be called, Atlanta does and it is the seventh most used subway in the country. Moving along now...

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-06-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City