Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
haha I accidentally posted one of the links you gave me.

edit:

Cincinnati is pretty damn urban: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...8&sa=N&tab=wl#
A few pages back you made a joke about sprawl, sprawl refers to the metro "which is not the same thing as the city" being call a poster child for sprawl do you know by the same group the CNU, Atlanta is consider a posterchild for New urbanism? You want a neighborhood like that OK. No downtown, midtown or Atlantic station.

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps
more?

Now 5ive8ight5ive does all of Cincinnati look like that? NO so is the rest of Cincinnati is sauburban because it dosen't meet the standard by your link? I not arguing Atlanta has more urban neighborhoods than Cincinnati I give Cincinnati the nod. My recation is to NJPhilliesPhan calling Castleberry Hill, Sweet Auburn, Cabbagetown, Old Fourth Ward and etc suburban well than post images that's more common of Cincinnati density that make Castleberry Hill, Sweet Auburn, Cabbagetown, Old Fourth Ward suburban. Seeing is believing because I’m looking at google earth at both cities and thinking what he’s saying is bull crap.

If this isn't urban enough

Cabbagetown
Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

sweet auburban

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Old 4th ward
Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

neither should this
cincinnati - Google Maps

Cincinnati - Google Maps

Cincinnati - Google Maps

This is more typical of Cincinnati, compare to the Atlanta neighborhoods which posters have been saying and yall have been nay saying. The home lot plots are about the same the only difference is the architecture. Since the development density is about the same if yall calling those Atlanta neighborhoods suburban old 4th ward, Sweet Auburn, Cabbagetown and etc what would that make Cincinnati? Is Cincinnati urban like the Bronx or something to make Sweet Aurburn and etc suburban.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
The city of Atlanta DOES NOT SPRAWL! The suburbs sprawl, but every suburban region in the United States reflects "sprawl." The Chicago region sprawls. Long Island sprawls. Northern Virginia sprawls. South Florida sprawls. The Bay Area sprawls. Orange County sprawls.

The cities of Houston, Dallas and Los Angeles all sprawl within their corporate boundaries. So stop this stupid sprawl-Atlanta bashing. It's a BIG FAT LIE!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:22 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Maybe people are being thrown off by two things when they say "Atlanta isn't urban"

1. The streets. Streets in Intown Atlanta neighborhoods by and large (but not exclusively) are wide because they were built for cars...but not automobiles. Atlanta neighborhoods were built around the streetcar. The streets were made wide to accommodate two way trolley traffic. It just so happens that width works perfect for automobiles.

2. The trees. As odd as it may seem, Atlanta has a lot of trees on purpose. For one, the region it is in is heavily treed, but there is a historical context. After the Civil War and ensuing reconstruction period, many trees were either destroyed during the battles and those that were left were cleared during the reconstruction period for various reasons. Due to the type of soil in the area however, the land became this think unmovable muck every time it rained which happens a lot (we get more rain than pretty much every major city than Honolulu). There was a big movement to replant trees (the horror) to the point that now the city is the largest urban forest in the country.

It is literally a "City in a Forest" not a "City with a Forest". Additionally, it is illegal to cut down a healthy tree in the city without approval of the City Arborist...one person who can take up to 2 years to inspect the tree or trees that want to be cut down and THEN give approval to cut it down. This has led to a lot of development in the city to be of the vertical variety. You get more bang for your buck and don't have to wait years to begin construction while you wait for the Arborist to inspect the lot if you choose a treeless lot and build up and up.

At least I think that's what throwing them off. No one has come with an argument for why Atlanta isn't urban other than "it isn't", "not like what urban looks like where I'm from", or "Cincy has a lot of old buildings".

Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
Atlanta seems very suburban, and it boomed much later than Cincinnati did, so on that I choose Cinci.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Atlanta seems very suburban, and it boomed much later than Cincinnati did, so on that I choose Cinci.
SIGH ... this is endless and pointless. Look, I don't really give a $@&# whether Cincinnati or Atlanta is more "urban" or "dense." But I will take Atlanta's rolling hills, winding streets, towering tree canopy and stunning residential neighborhoods over whatever Cincy has to offer any day. So what if Atlanta "seems" very suburban -- it is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cities in this country because of that fact, and I hope it never changes.

If urban = ugly, NO THANKS!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Atlanta is a beautifull place would like to visit the coke place some dayis it down town.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Atlanta is a beautifull place would like to visit the coke place some dayis it down town.
Yes, it is downtown on Centennial Olympic Park next to the Georgia Aquarium and across from CNN Center.

Atlanta Georgia Attractions | Visit the World of Coca-Cola

Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SIGH ... this is endless and pointless. Look, I don't really give a $@&# whether Cincinnati or Atlanta is more "urban" or "dense." But I will take Atlanta's rolling hills, winding streets, towering tree canopy and stunning residential neighborhoods over whatever Cincy has to offer any day. So what if Atlanta "seems" very suburban -- it is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cities in this country because of that fact, and I hope it never changes.

If urban = ugly, NO THANKS!
I don't see the need to jump all over me for having an opinion. If everyone agreed with you there wouldn't be a point in this topic, would it?

Cincinnati wins hands down.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:46 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 10-07-2010 at 03:31 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 05:05 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I don't see the need to jump all over me for having an opinion. If everyone agreed with you there wouldn't be a point in this topic, would it?

Cincinnati wins hands down.
Wins what? Even if Cincinnati is more urban by your definition the OP asked people to vote based on which city is the best to live,work and play in not which is more urban.

Besides. By the narrow minded definition of urban you guys go by Baltimore is more urban than Tokyo. Because it has more brick buildings, row houses, old buildings, is more gritty more like New York, Philly, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City