Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Is that supposed to be an insult? Charlotte is one of the prettiest cities I've ever seen in person, considerably smaller but still nicer than most of the places that I've been.
People reference Charlotte as a "mini Atlanta" all the time.
This was not an insult at all. It was an observation. I am a Charlotte native and former ATlanta resident. I saw striking similarities between both cities when i lived there. NOw that I am looking at the cities in pictures it has become even more apparent how similar the two cities are.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No definitely not, Atlanta has several high end museums, and possibly now the premier Aquarium in the U.S. I was just responding to that particular poster. The last time I was there, you had to get tickets in advance. The Cyclorama is also a must see for history buffs.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No definitely not, Atlanta has several high end museums, and possibly now the premier Aquarium in the U.S. I was just responding to that particular poster. The Cyclorama is also a must see for history buffs.
Cool. This is one area where there really is no comparison between the two cities, although I do realize Cincy has a rich cultural heritage.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
This was not an insult at all. It was an observation. I am a Charlotte native and former ATlanta resident. I saw striking similarities between both cities when i lived there. NOw that I am looking at the cities in pictures it has become even more apparent how similar the two cities are.
Larger cities generally don't like being compared to smaller places, but I can think of about 15 larger cities off the top of my head that would love to have some of Charlotte's issues. Sure Charlotte doesn't appear to be as urban in nature as a few other places, but that's just one piece of the puzzle. Charlotte is a thriving boom town, and one of the most immaculate around. I've always liked Charlotte.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Those pictures do not not look very urban to me. But if that is your definition of urban then there is nothing wrong with that, but in my area of the country that would not be considered urban.
Are you serious?

Guess we have to do this the hard way (three from the links above):

Removed by moderator: Ok folks - cool it with the bickering. STAY ON TOPIC please and stop the confrontational posts

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-06-2010 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Larger cities generally don't like being compared to smaller places, but I can think of about 15 larger cities off the top of my head that would love to have some of Charlotte's issues. Sure Charlotte doesn't appear to be as urban in nature as a few other places, but that's just one piece of the puzzle. Charlotte is a thriving boom town, and one of the most immaculate around. I've always liked Charlotte.
UHMMM, I think some of you guys are misinterpreting my comments as to say that Charlotte and ATLanta both suck because they are not urban. tHIS IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING AT ALL. I am simply saying that they remind me of each other. Thats all. I love my hometown(Charlotte) and Atlanta and to be honest with you I like our urbanity a little better than the traditional sense because it makes for a cleaner city.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
UHMMM, I think some of you guys are misinterpreting my comments as to say that Charlotte and ATLanta both suck because they are not urban. tHIS IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING AT ALL. I am simply saying that they remind me of each other. Thats all. I love my hometown(Charlotte) and Atlanta and to be honest with you I like our urbanity a little better than the traditional sense because it makes for a cleaner city.
Ahhh I see.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 10-06-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
I understand what some are saying when they say that Cincy is more urban than Atlanta, and I agree to an extent. While Atlanta probably has more urban neighborhoods and districts than Cincy total, Cincy's urban fabric is denser and more compact proportionally speaking. I have no problem saying this since I don't think that urbanity is the be all, end all to any city nor does "more urban" equal "better."

Old 10-06-2010, 01:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Give it up. You lost. Light rail is used by the real cities to distinguish between the light electrified lines and the big, heavy diesel-electric lines. Atlanta doesn't have two systems, so using "light" and "heavy" are meaningless distinctions that shouldn't be employed there.

We've been over this.

Tell you what, you can call Marta heavy rail, all you want. Atlanta can be your own Fisher-Price village, where you can play make believe about your own terms.

The rest of the world will reserve "heavy rail" for those tracks that carry freight trains.
Every reputable authoritative source I've seen calls systems like MARTA, the El, METROrail in DC, etc. heavy rail systems and I and those who agree with me have demonstrated this. Can you produce an authoritative source to back up the claim you're making? I'm not being facetious here at all because it may well be that I'm missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
You are 100% correct. Atlanta feels like a sprawling big, new, suburb, while Cincy feels like an East Coast city.

I'm starting to think that these Atlanta folk just don't know what American cities feel like.
Atlanta is not an American city? Where the hell is it located then, Paraguay?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I understand what some are saying when they say that Cincy is more urban than Atlanta, and I agree to an extent. While Atlanta probably has more urban neighborhoods and districts than Cincy total, Cincy's urban fabric is denser and more compact proportionally speaking. I have no problem saying this since I don't think that urbanity is the be all, end all to any city nor does "more urban" equal "better."

YouTube - American Makeover Episode 1: SPRAWLANTA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City