Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Really? Did you forget Los Angeles.
LA, despite it's criticisms, is quite urban. I'm not saying which is better, but you must recognize that "urban" doesn't mean just one thing.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Yeah, you have an Atlanta moderator to pull down posts that contradict you.

Easy you win when the other team can't play.

The point was that Cincy feels "more urban," which it does.

Its funny how you have nothing to say now that Atlanta urban side has been shown Thru Pictures... All you can talk about is transit that Cincy doesnt have and A urban core. Lets play stack up In every Catergory and see who comes out on top..

Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,206 times
Go on google streerview and scroll through the various residential areas in the city of Cincinnati. Cinci's neighborhoods are largely comprised of those old gritty looking row homes--and it really doesn't get much more urban 'looking' than that. Cincinnati, in my opinion, is one of the more 'urban' looking cities in America! Atlanta doesn't hold a candle to Cincinnati in urbanity.

Granted Atlanta is the much better city. As you all love point out, Atlanta is thriving; and as such, there is constantly new development throughout the city. And while this is obviously a good thing, it in SOME regard, makes Atlanta look less urban. When I think of urban, I think of a gritty, old (even decaying),and densely populated residential area; not a bustling downtown with brand new development and thriving businesses. Take NYC for example: I would argue that the neighborhoods in the Bronx look and feels more URBAN than Times Square.

I guess the problem here is that we all have a different notion of the word 'urban'.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
Go on google streerview and scroll through the various residential areas in the city of Cincinnati. Cinci's neighborhoods are largely comprised of those old gritty looking row homes--and it really doesn't get much more urban 'looking' than that. Cincinnati, in my opinion, is one of the more 'urban' looking cities in America! Atlanta doesn't hold a candle to Cincinnati in urbanity.

Granted Atlanta is the much better city. As you all love point out, Atlanta is thriving; and as such, there is constantly new development throughout the city. And while this is obviously a good thing, it in SOME regard, makes Atlanta look less urban. When I think of urban, I think of a gritty, old (even decaying),and densely populated residential area; not a bustling downtown with brand new development and thriving businesses. Take NYC for example: I would argue that the neighborhoods in the Bronx look and feels more URBAN than Times Square.

I guess the problem here is that we all have a different notion of the word 'urban'
That is part of the problem, the other half is that some believe their particular idea of urban is the only one that counts. People putting their personal preferences ahead of functional reality will always derail a conversation.

Edit:

One more thing...

Quote:
When I think of urban, I think of a gritty, old (even decaying),and densely populated residential area; not a bustling downtown with brand new development and thriving businesses.
How depressing is that?! Trust me, having lived in it in other cities, gritty and old of the decaying variety is only romantic in movies.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM

And for the record, despite it's perception as a "new city", Atlanta does gritty too:

Castleberry Hill:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Railroad District:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Sweet Auburn:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Cabbagetown:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Old Fourth Ward:

Google Maps

Google Maps

And again, that's just a small sampling.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Last time I checked Dallas had highrises, maybe you are confusing the Atlanta we're discussing on this thread with this one.

Now back to this discussion, Cincinnati is very urban. There is no disputing that. But more urban than Atlanta? If you limit yourself to your definition of urban to mean that "most houses and buildings are made out of brick in central Cincinnati" then you may be right, but by every other measure, no. I mean seriously, do people really think a metro would reach almost 6 million people without a strong urban core? It has never happened in human history.

For one, "urban" comes in many physical forms. Some seem to think this is a very specific look and anything that deviates from that is "not urban". I'll keep from stating what I believe about people who think in such away, but instead I'll just go about showing you what I mean.

First, one of things that makes a city "urban" is at it's center there is a highly built up area containing high density areas for living, commerce, monuments, and entertainment.

In the image above is the literal center of Atlanta. The area contains:

-70,000 residents (8th most out of all American cities)
-The campuses of Georgia Institute of Technology and Georgia State University and their combined 50,000 students
-The two main CBDs of Atlanta, the Federal government center, and the State government center. All combined an additional 200,000 or so workers in the area each day.
-The convention center that frequently hosts 100,000+ conventions
-Monuments to the XXVI Olympiad, Martin Luther King Jr, President Carter's Library and foreign policy center just to name a few
-11 subway stations (of MARTA's 38 total)
-All of the Major League sports stadiums (Braves, Hawks, the Dream, Falcons, Thrashers)
-Dozens of theaters, museums, and art galleries
-Two grand urban parks (Piedmont and Centennial Olympic Park) with a third on the way (Fourth Ward Park)

Basically everything you would expect to see in the center of a major urban area. This creates a bustling urban core that people some how think doesn't exist here. For example:

Source

Index of /UOThreads/2009/Atlanta

That however is just a small sampling...and just the beginning. As with every urban center, the city is backed up by great neighborhoods. This is something Atlanta is no short supply of. There are 26 districts in the City of Atlanta and over 100 individual neighborhoods. Since this post is already getting long, I'll post links for you to get a concept of their urban form.

Virginia-Highland

Flickr: Borders for Atlanta's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bordersforatlanta - broken link)

Little 5 Points

Flickr: lostinhotlanta's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostinhotlanta - broken link)

Flickr: chaosezine's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaosezine - broken link)

Decatur

Flickr: Mrs Ramsay's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46233655@N00 - broken link)

Atlantic Station

Flickr: ryan myers captures' Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rymy77 - broken link)

Courtesy of GAlounger

And again, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I could go on for pages, but I think you should get the idea by now. No, Atlanta does not look like a late 19th century industrial city like Cincinnati (not that we don't have neighborhoods and buildings from that era) but it is far from the ridiculous claim people make on here that it is "not urban".
I know that SOME of the Atlanta people are gonna be mad at me for saying this but these pictures and videos of ATlanta remind me alot of Charlotte.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStrawhat View Post
More nasty posters dissing ATL while ATL people try to remain humble and realistic. Why do people like to pick on ATL so much on City-Data?

Lets get real; most people in real life outside of city data could careless about 90% of the bull that gets argued on this site and used to put down cities like ATL. Most of it is just not the serious to a everyday person yet people turn it into pissing contest on this site because I guess it makes them feel good. I guess most people on City-Data don't have lives? Who spend's there time worrying about crap like whether a city has light rail vs heavy or if their city has 3424928 million museums when they will probably only go to a few once every 6 month?
But this is *city* data, hence lots of people living in cities. Most people in real life live in the suburbs, even in NYC Metro, most people still live in the suburbs.
People who live in cities DO worry about whether it has light rail or heavy rail, or in better terms, public transportation is extremely important for day to day life. People rent their apartments and buy property based on this stuff.
So when people on here mislead others and claim things like "oh yeah you can live there without a car", when it is in fact an extreme hassle to do so, makes people in turn, extremely pissed off.
Also I would imagine most people in the nation's better cities DO go to the museums and associated events more than that as the majority of them have visiting exhibits which people want to check out, it isn't as if they are seeing the same stuff over and over.
I.E. I've been to MOMA in SF, but would definitely go again say when Richard Avedon exhibit was in town.
I've been to Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, but made a special extra visit a few years back just for Body Worlds 2.

I know you are just stopping by to troll on your new account, but figured I would call you out on it anyhow.
There are plenty of other examples.
It is not a pissing contest at all, but, they are two different lifestyles.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I know that SOME of the Atlanta people are gonna be mad at me for saying this but these pictures and videos of ATlanta remind me alot of Charlotte.
Is that supposed to be an insult? Charlotte is one of the prettiest cities I've ever seen in person, considerably smaller but still nicer than most of the places that I've been.
People reference Charlotte as a "mini Atlanta" all the time.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
And for the record, despite it's perception as a "new city", Atlanta does gritty too:

Castleberry Hill:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Railroad District:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Sweet Auburn:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Cabbagetown:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Old Fourth Ward:

Google Maps

Google Maps

And again, that's just a small sampling.
Those pictures do not not look very urban to me. But if that is your definition of urban then there is nothing wrong with that, but in my area of the country that would not be considered urban.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:01 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But this is *city* data, hence lots of people living in cities. Most people in real life live in the suburbs, even in NYC Metro, most people still live in the suburbs.
People who live in cities DO worry about whether it has light rail or heavy rail, or in better terms, public transportation is extremely important for day to day life. People rent their apartments and buy property based on this stuff.
So when people on here mislead others and claim things like "oh yeah you can live there without a car", when it is in fact an extreme hassle to do so, makes people in turn, extremely pissed off.
Also I would imagine most people in the nation's better cities DO go to the museums and associated events more than that as the majority of them have visiting exhibits which people want to check out, it isn't as if they are seeing the same stuff over and over.
I.E. I've been to MOMA in SF, but would definitely go again say when Richard Avedon exhibit was in town.
I've been to Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, but made a special extra visit a few years back just for Body Worlds 2.

I know you are just stopping by to troll on your new account, but figured I would call you out on it anyhow.
There are plenty of other examples.
It is not a pissing contest at all, but, they are two different lifestyles.
Are you actually suggesting that this is not possible here?

Home | High Museum of Art Atlanta

Michael C. Carlos Museum

Atlanta History Center - Located on 33 acres of history in Buckhead, Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.