Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 AM

436 posts, read 951,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
You know why? Because it's not light rail! It's heavy transit rail!
For one thing it's track gauge is too large for it to be classified light rail.
Give it up. You lost. Light rail is used by the real cities to distinguish between the light electrified lines and the big, heavy diesel-electric lines. Atlanta doesn't have two systems, so using "light" and "heavy" are meaningless distinctions that shouldn't be employed there.

We've been over this.

Tell you what, you can call Marta heavy rail, all you want. Atlanta can be your own Fisher-Price village, where you can play make believe about your own terms.

The rest of the world will reserve "heavy rail" for those tracks that carry freight trains.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Holy Crap! I can't believe this guy. I came on here and you're actually still trying to say Atlanta's MARTA is light rail?!!

I've been in dozens of transit discussions on CD in the past couple years and you are the ONLY person to try and say that.

Here is a list of light rail systems in North America. No where on it is MARTA listed even though it's one of the most used systems in America. Light rail in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You know why? Because it's not light rail! It's heavy transit rail!
For one thing it's track gauge is too large for it to be classified light rail.

Here is a light rail system in action not too far from you in Pittsburgh.

http:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeT16FGrIF8

Here is MARTA heavy transit or subway rail system in operation.

YouTube - MARTA, It's smarta

YouTube - EIGHT CAR RED LINE MARTA TRAIN TO THE AIRPORT DEPARTING MARTA ARTS CENTER STN

MARTA rail has been around since 1979. That's way older than most of the light rail systems in America. Marta is the 8th most used rail system in America. NYC, D.C., Chicago, Bay Area, Philadelphia are the only ahead of us. That puts us in the big leagues. List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Big as New York, Chicago? No way. Bigger than the majority of systems in the U.S.? Yes.

Cincinnati is the first city with no transit rail at all I've seen try to compare it'self to us on City Data. So I don't know what to think about that.
I'll show this again because you just don't get it. Look at the videos and you will see the difference between light rail and Atlanta's rail system. Whether you wanna call it heavy rail or subway Atlanta's MARTA rail is not light rail. There is not a single rail authority out there that classifies it as light rail and I challange you to find one.

And I've never heard anyone in New York call it's subway system light rail to distinguish it from diesel commuter rail. New York City does not have light rail either. In fact I've participated in several transit disscussions on and off of City Data and you are the only person I've ever heard call a subway system like Atlanta's, D.C.s or New Yorks light rail.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-06-2010 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Cincinnati is a very nice urban midwestern city, its urban nature and weather would make me pick it over Atlanta.
How is Cincinnati more urban than Atlanta? They both have about the same density with Atlanta growing more dense while Cinci has been getting less so. Atlanta has far more highrises, more and better public transit and several large business districts. During the weekdays Atlanta's population swells more than just about any city it's size during which time Atlanta has way more activity and bustle than you will see in Cincinnati. Unless you mean more old buildings I can't see how Cinci is more urban. And even in that category Atlanta has Cincinnati beat in one way. The flat Iron building in Downtown Atlanta is one of the first high rises in America. Older than any high rise in Cincinnati.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-06-2010 at 06:51 AM..

Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
How is Cincinnati more urban than Atlanta? They both have about the same density with Atlanta growing more dense while Cinci has been getting less so. Atlanta has far more highrises, more and better public transit and several large business districts. During the weekdays Atlanta's population swells more than just about any city it's size during which time Atlanta has way more activity and bustle than you will see in Cincinnati. Unless you mean more old buildings I can't see how Cinci is more urban. And even in that category Atlanta has Cincinnati beat in one way. The flat Iron building in Downtown Atlanta is one of the first high rises in America. Older than any high rise in Cincinnati.
Having visited both cities, Cincinnati feels more like an east coast urban city while Atlanta feels more like Dallas with high rises, but without a strong urban core.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Give it up. You lost. Light rail is used by the real cities to distinguish between the light electrified lines and the big, heavy diesel-electric lines. Atlanta doesn't have two systems, so using "light" and "heavy" are meaningless distinctions that shouldn't be employed there.

We've been over this.

Tell you what, you can call Marta heavy rail, all you want. Atlanta can be your own Fisher-Price village, where you can play make believe about your own terms.

The rest of the world will reserve "heavy rail" for those tracks that carry freight trains.

Seriously dude, you really need to point to where the rest of the world says this because it's the first I've heard of that. And it's not just what Atlantans say, it's what the WHOLE world says. If you really don't believe me, check this out:

As well as:

http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf

MARTA along with the New York Subway and PATH, Boston MBTA, Philly SEPTA, San Francisco BART, DC Metro, Chicago El, Miami Metrorail, the Baltimore Subway, the LA Metro, Tren Urbano in San Juan, Cleveland RTA Red Line are all heavy rail transit systems. Some cities call them subways, rapid transit lines, or Metros but they are all classified as heavy rail.

Basically there are two types of Heavy Rail for transit:

-City subway/metro systems listed above
-Commuter rail systems that you keep going on about

There are basically two types of Light Rail for transit:

-Trolleys/Cable cars
-LRT transit

While they all run on rails, the two are separated the following way. City metros/subways and commuter rail lines can carry far more passengers at once than Light rail systems like Trolleys and LRT vehicles.

Perhaps you should read up a bit on the subject.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Do I really need to point out that you folks should stop the bickering and stay only on the topic of the thread?

Add to the topic. Add to it constructively. Then move on. Don't worry about what someone else says and don't bicker about it. Thank you.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Having visited both cities, Cincinnati feels more like an east coast urban city while Atlanta feels more like Dallas with high rises, but without a strong urban core.
During the 50's I would have said that Cincinnati was more urban than the City of Atlanta (not the Metro) But it's population is much lower now than it was then. I can understand it looks or feels more urban maybe now but that's if you don't recognize that many of it's buildings are abandoned or unoccupied. Remnants of the days when it's population was larger.

Not trying to be biased buy Honestly take a look at these videos and tell me overall which you think actually has the most urban development. Cincinnati has a lot of attractive old architecture and Atlanta is far more modern but over all I think Atlanta has more.

Cincinnati

YouTube - Cincinnati Urban Streets Tour: Vine Street

YouTube - Driving Through Downtown Cincinnati & Into NKy

YouTube - Driving Through Downtown Cincinnati

YouTube - Driving to Downtown Cincinnati

Atlanta

YouTube - Downtown Atlanta, GA Peachtree Street North

YouTube - Atlanta GA: Peachtree Road Through Buckhead

YouTube - Atlanta Georgia Street Tour

Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
During the 50's I would have said that Cincinnati was more urban than the City of Atlanta (not the Metro) But it's population is much lower now than it was then. I can understand it looks or feels more urban maybe now but that's if you don't recognize that many of it's buildings are abandoned or unoccupied. Remnants of the days when it's population was larger.

Not trying to be biased buy Honestly take a look at these videos and tell me overall which you think actually has the most urban development. Cincinnati has a lot of attractive old architecture and Atlanta is far more modern but over all I think Atlanta has more.

Cincinnati

YouTube - Cincinnati Urban Streets Tour: Vine Street

YouTube - Driving Through Downtown Cincinnati & Into NKy

YouTube - Driving Through Downtown Cincinnati

YouTube - Driving to Downtown Cincinnati

Atlanta

YouTube - Downtown Atlanta, GA Peachtree Street North

YouTube - Atlanta GA: Peachtree Road Through Buckhead

YouTube - Atlanta Georgia Street Tour
Your videos prove that Cincinnati is more urban, the Atlanta videos look like they could be of Dallas or Houston. This is not a dis to Atlanta but it is simply not as urban as a classic city like Cincinnati. For a person like me that appreciates the urban nature of cities that is important.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM

436 posts, read 951,641 times
Quote:
You are 100% correct. Atlanta feels like a sprawling big, new, suburb, while Cincy feels like an East Coast city.

I'm starting to think that these Atlanta folk just don't know what American cities feel like.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Your videos prove that Cincinnati is more urban, the Atlanta videos look like they could be of Dallas or Houston. This is not a dis to Atlanta but it is simply not as urban as a classic city like Cincinnati. For a person like me that appreciates the urban nature of cities that is important.
I just posted those. There's no way you could have even thoroughly glimpsed through those videos even if you were speeding them up. Not that fast.

If You think lots of really old buildings equals more urban okay that's your opinion. But I asked which showed more urban development. After watching those video's there's no way any sensible person could think Cincinnati has more than Atlanta whether you think it looks like Dallas, Houston or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City