Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which WSC City is most influential?
Houston 44 41.12%
Little Rock 5 4.67%
San Antonio 5 4.67%
Tulsa 3 2.80%
Fort Worth 0 0%
New Orleans 10 9.35%
Dallas 37 34.58%
OKC 1 0.93%
Austin 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, meet those expectations. Get over anyone calling Houston anything, because all of that is absolutely fine. Ugly city that's a cultural wasteland, right? Get over those opinions.
oh lord, what are you on about now? you are not very coherent. I don't know what you are talking about.

I hope you don't mean that Houston is a cultural wasteland, because it has some of the best arts, and museums in this part of the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
oh lord, what are you on about now? you are not very coherent. I don't know what you are talking about.

I hope you don't mean that Houston is a cultural wasteland, because it has some of the best arts, and museums in this part of the country
Right, like when you say there are a few meters of charm along the river in San Antonio that makes people go "what." I think you might be getting it, but probably not.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, like when you say there are a few meters of charm along the river in San Antonio that makes people go "what." I think you might be getting it, but probably not.
lol, are you having a bad day or something?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
San Antonio is the most visited city in Texas by a long shot, so that says something. San Antonio definitely has the Tex/Mex charm to it.
But we're talking about the powerhouse, thats Dallas. So who recuited votes for Houston today??

Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
San Antonio is the most visited city in Texas by a long shot, so that says something. San Antonio definitely has the Tex/Mex charm to it.
But we're talking about the powerhouse, thats Dallas. So who recuited votes for Houston today??
most touristy yes, most visited ... not by a long shot.

Houston gets almost twice as many visitors staying in at least one night in hotels than San Antonio.

Houston gets the most visitors in Texas
Followed by DFW
San Antonio is a distant third

Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Im not talking about business or rooms booked or air travelers. San Antonio has the most leisure/tourist visitors. Its the only city in Texas with more than one attraction in the top 10 for Texas.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Im not talking about business or rooms booked or air travelers. San Antonio has the most leisure/tourist visitors. Its the only city in Texas with more than one attraction in the top 10 for Texas.
don't you get tired of changing your story? first SA was the most visited BY A LONG SHOT, lol, now you say you don't mean business?

well unfortunately, I have never come across a visitor list broken down by business vs leisure but either way, dollars are dollars, who cares what they come here for, just as long as they spend money here

Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 AM

17 posts, read 42,368 times
I am so tiiiiiiiired of the Dallas not as big and important without Ft. Worth statements. I have an idea....

GET OVER IT cause it will never change!!!

It is what it is, LA is what it is because the entire Southern California region revolves around it creating the machine that it is. SF exists in the same way, and on a lot smaller scale so do the Twin Cities. Are you gonna argue that Texas is only as important as it is because of the large land mass it encompasses? All of that may be somewhat accurate, look at the US, China and Russia, all HUGE in size and importance. Still, you cant argue the fact that they are important.

The existence of a region or major city based on geography and the closeness of another major city is just that. For whatever reason a REGION grew. All of the great cities in the world are great bc of the regions they once supported. Paris, London, Tokyo, NYC, LA, Mexico City, so on and so on, started supporting the smaller regions they are surrounded by before globalization took over. DFW is no different. Look at history, what if Galveston was never destroyed by a massive hurricane, it could have very well been the Galveston metro and Houston the second city. It is what it is. Houston will as far as any of us are alive play second to DFW in terms of size and importance. Stop with the Ft. Worth excuses.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and most people that have asked where I am from will assume that I am from Dallas when I say Texas. There are so many reasons as to why locations and cities are more important to others. Dallas has more pop-culture to its name, way more in fact! The hip-hop aspect does not reach as many people as the show Dallas did and the Dallas Cowboys have. Dallas has, whether anyone likes it or not, asserted itself in many peoples minds as a certain type of city. Big money, oil(even though none comes from there, people still think that is where it comes from) big hair, pretty women, shopping(Neiman Marcus deserves a lot of respect in that category) the list goes on and on. Houston does have NASA globally, but that is more in tune with people thinking of space and spaceships and things of that nature rather than tying that in to an actual city/location. To add to that they will also think that Austin is next even before Houston, bc Portland is the most popular city in Oregon and most Oregonians have a way of life that is very in tune with that of Austin's way of life. There are many factors!

I am in no way bashing Houston as I have once considered living there. I never even said anything that puts Houston down. I just always hate the comparisons that people from(usually only on these forums though) Houston have to say about Dallas. It always seems that if someone from outside Texas or even Houston for that matter says that Dallas is the first city they think of then someone from Houston has to get loud and proud to defend their great city and knock Dallas down because of its connectivity to Ft. Worth. I read every post on this forum and a lot, if not more people that have actually posted things that were from out of state and not from the cities vying for this prestigious accolade...lol said that they thought of Dallas as the main city.

All I can say is that if you look at the largest metros 10 years from now or even now when the new count comes out, DFW will be larger and for a long time at that! Cities and regions across the world do not care about the boundary of a city versus the entire importance of a region. As in Dallas you can cross LBJ freeway and your supposedly not in Dallas anymore if it were up to certain people from Houston. I dont care about who is more dense and who has more people in a certain loop, its all semantics. DFW is what it is because of history and what happened to make it what it is today. Houston is what it is because of the same reasons.

The best part is, the point will be even more moot as time goes on and Dallas and Ft. Worth become even larger and more cohesive!!

Enjoy and celebrate them both for different reasons!!

Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM

you are missing people's points. Point is not that they are not cohesive, its just that Dallas gets a hell of a boost from FW. Period.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:45 AM

17 posts, read 42,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you are missing people's points. Point is not that they are not cohesive, its just that Dallas gets a hell of a boost from FW. Period.
I DO get the point! I was saying that the fact Dallas gets a boost from Ft. Worth is beyond moot and somewhat pointless. I was explaining how other areas get plenty of "boosts" from the areas/locations they are in. It still does not take away from the fact that some metros are more important than other metros and some metros are larger than others!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City