Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea it makes sense but im talking about real condos though. not look alikes. and honestly i got up to number 5 on the list, and so far atl and one of the las vegas hoods do look creepy on the google maps.

dude i google imaged Fort Worth TX one, and there was an entire road full of people living in tents. its like a junior skid row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 05:42 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Yes those condos in chicago that where built in the ghetto where an attempt to gentrify it.
But its not working and I think sec.8 people live there now.

And I don't think that's the most dangerous neighborhood in chicago. I've been there.
Id say one of the far southside neighbs like roseland is more dangerous

Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Agreed.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 AM

143 posts, read 290,218 times
Quote:
Yes those condos in chicago that where built in the ghetto where an attempt to gentrify it.

And I don't think that's the most dangerous neighborhood in chicago. I've been there.
I disagree...Roseland has it's rough spots, but I travel to the most disadvantaged neighborhoods in the city for my job and this list hit the nail on the head. Austin is 1st in my mind (not W. Lake as the article calls it) followed closely by parts of Englewood. Go hang out around Central and Lake near the Green Line. It's a regular occurrence that the kids walking to nearby Austin HS are shot at.

The neighborhood of Austin in Chicago to me is also the most interesting social experiment. It shows what a difference property taxes can make when you have the "worst" neighborhood in Chicago bordering Oak Park, a relatively affluent suburb. Austin HS and Oak Park/River Forest HS are literally less than a couple miles from each other on Lake, but they are WORLDS apart.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Im surprised that winston salem NC is on there! WTF! . And the other chicago "neighborhood" that was listed has almost no people. Its where some of the Robert Taylors were at but they tore em down and they only put a few hoses in the area but thats it . Just look on google maps you'll probly seen nothing but a big feild with some condos to the north.

And i think the condos on the west side of chicago were built to replace the projects that were there.

Quote:

Nah roseland actually has some decent parts tho...

Last edited by mas23; 10-05-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Im surprised that winston salem NC is on there! WTF! . And the other chicago "neighborhood" that was listed has almost no people. Its where some of the Robert Taylors were at but they tore em down and they only put a few hoses in the area but thats it . Just look on google maps you'll probly seen nothing but a big feild with some condos to the north.

And those i think the condos on the west side of chicago were built to replace the projects that were there.

Nah roseland actually has some decent parts tho...
that was my point this site that does this top 25 dangerous list is very weird in my opinion. it can really fool you.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
I posted this is the thread that was mysteriously locked, but it is relevant here as well.

It is BS and their methodology is flawed. I live very close to the neighborhood in Chicago that is listed as number one and it is a mostly industrial area with very few residents, and is not particularly bad area in my personal experience as I've been through there on many occasions late at night as there is a place over there that hosts live music which I like to frequent (that being said, as it is an industrial area, I don't generally wander around, especially at night).

Old 10-05-2010, 10:00 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
I posted this in the Atlanta forum, where I first saw this article posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
lol @ violent crimes / 1,000 residents being a good measure

notice that three of our four most "dangerous" neighborhoods include 1) the Georgia Dome 2) Centennial Olympic Park and 3) Turner Field

moderately high crime in a sparesly populated but heavily traveled area != most dangerous

I can think of half a dozen Atlanta neighborhoods in which I'd be much more hesitant to take a stroll.
I'm not saying four of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country aren't in Atlanta--I have no idea--but this methodology is totally ridiculous.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
I think people are wrongly associating projects with high crime. Here are the cities who have the highest percentage of public housing:

Link

Boston - 14,000 units - 5.5% of housing units
New York - 178,554 units - 5.4% of housing units
Baltimore - 10,000 units - 3.4% of housing units
Minneapolis - 5,800 units - 3.3% of housing units
Washington DC - 8,000 units - 2.8% of housing units
Oakland - 3,308 units - 2% of housing units
San Francisco - 6,575 units - 1.8% of housing units
Milwaukee - 4,303 units - 1.8% of housing units
Seattle - 5,200 units - 1.8% of housing units
Sacramento - 3,144 units - 1.7% of housing units
Chicago - 16,500 units - 1.4% of housing units
Detroit - 4,000 units - 1.1% of housing units
Kansas City, MO - 1,964 units - 0.9% of housing units
Houston - 4,200 units - 0.5% of housing units
Los Angeles - 9,300 units - 0.7% of housing units
San Diego - 1,800 units - 0.4% of housing units

Of those 16 cities, only 3 appear on the "most dangerous neighborhoods" list. Boston & New York City, which have the two highest percentages of public housing in the country, are also among the safest major cities in the country.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
I can only talk about the neighborhoods I know.

5. Vine City, this neighborhood is hit or miss, depends on what street you live, also its Gentryfying and has a lot of Charisma and City feel about it.

7. A Portion of Downtown Atlanta, almost No one lives here there are a few condos worth almost Half a Million here and College students. this is the most walkable part of Atlanta and charismatic because of the flatness of the area, there are lot of industrial factories here in this part of the city.

11. Tryon Hills/Dalton, this is a little unfair for Dalton getting lumped into the same catergory with Tryon Hills, Dalton is nice the houses are nice, and I have a aunt that lives in the neighborhood and has lived there for 20 years, its located right outside of uptown and disconnected from Tryon Hills by industrial parks and the neighborhoods are worlds apart, now Tryon Hills is a horrible neighborhood this is where one of the largest projects in charlotte are located. WHile the rest of charlotte is really nice even some of the worst areas, this part of Charlotte is depressing and really needs to be razed.

17 Mechanicsville, Neighborhood is gentryfying but its not the best actually, nothing is special about this hood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City