Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 33,005 times

Advertisements

north side Flint MI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 PM

364 posts, read 717,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
zone2flyboy i already know your main point of being on city data is to always compete with nyc and claim nyc is soft or what not. but its cool though.

anywho housing projects in new orleans and places like chicago shut down their housing projects because they were complete failures. now besides the crime have you ever seen pictures of cabrini green or magnolia houses??? those housing projects did not have entrance doors or even windows in some of the tenements.

and also zone2flyboy you need to stop watching tv. a rough area is a rough area period. in case you haven't known new orleans crime rate has been dropping like the majority of the cities in this country. AND YOU CAN GET HIT IN ANY GHETTO IN AMERICA.

and btw the point of the list adding property crime in making a area dangerous shows how pathetic it is.
Compete with NY? Naw bruh, NY is in it's own lane, to try and compete with NY would be a losing battle. I just love how some NY'ers act like it's harder than a brick when it's not. And have I ever seen pictures of Cabrini Green??...lol.. Dude my dad is from Chicago, I had family in the Ickes, Stateway and Ida B Wells, got a aunt who was one of the last ones to move out of the townhomes in Cabrini after they tore the high rises down. Ive walked down those urine smelling hallways in Ida B Wells leaving my late grandmothers place, into the courtyards and onto the street with my cousin telling me "if someone asks you who is Mickey Cogwell just say f*ck a snake so they wont mess with you". I spent a summer in Ivanhoe back in the day at my uncle's over in Gary where after dark there was literally a shootout every night because one side of the projects was all GD and the other side was all Black P Stone. Cabrini Green wasnt the only housing project in Chicago dude, there were crap load of others back in the day. It appears as if you are really the one getting all of your info from TV.............

Old 10-14-2010, 06:20 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
People need to not take this article too seriously. I have done statistical social science research that included mapping and I can tell you their methods are extremely unsound and methodologically flawed.

Their results will present a negative bias against areas that bring in huge amounts of people (a daytime population if you will), but the area is actually sparsely populated by urban standards).

Atlanta, having 4 neighborhoods on their list, is a perfect example. One neighborhood is mostly the Georgia World Congress Center and the Georgia Dome. On any given day there are tens of thousands of visitors there and has the capacity to handle hundreds of thousands of people. However, the residential neighborhood just to the west (Vine City) that is included with the GWCC has alot of empty lots and is mostly single family homes. From an aerial map it is easy to count them all. By Consequence there are few people in that census tract, but there are lots of crimes that occur at the convention center and not the residential neighborhood.
The same problem occurs with the Turner Field/Mechanicsville neighborhood and the neighborhood with Centennial Olympic park (a neighborhood that is actually a highly desired in Atlanta).

If you want to see a good example of this examine #5 on the list, then google map (aerial image) Atlanta, GA and look at the same neighborhood from an aerial perspective.

Atlanta is probably an extreme example of this, since many of the urban neighborhoods are not dense and white flight caused alot of residential development to leave Atlanta and go to the next county before the City of Atlanta was fully developed.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Compete with NY? Naw bruh, NY is in it's own lane, to try and compete with NY would be a losing battle. I just love how some NY'ers act like it's harder than a brick when it's not. And have I ever seen pictures of Cabrini Green??...lol.. Dude my dad is from Chicago, I had family in the Ickes, Stateway and Ida B Wells, got a aunt who was one of the last ones to move out of the townhomes in Cabrini after they tore the high rises down. Ive walked down those urine smelling hallways in Ida B Wells leaving my late grandmothers place, into the courtyards and onto the street with my cousin telling me "if someone asks you who is Mickey Cogwell just say f*ck a snake so they wont mess with you". I spent a summer in Ivanhoe back in the day at my uncle's over in Gary where after dark there was literally a shootout every night because one side of the projects was all GD and the other side was all Black P Stone. Cabrini Green wasnt the only housing project in Chicago dude, there were crap load of others back in the day. It appears as if you are really the one getting all of your info from TV.............
zone2flyboy you talk like a lot of the ny haters on here. can you name me one city that isnt filled with people who make their city harder then it is.

so your saying people from chicago , l.a , Miami , Houston , Detroit etc don't brag about how hard their cities are??? please thats a joke and pretty much every ignorant mind in those cities brag about how hard their cities are.

and no zone2flyboy i don't watch tv i have family all over and can see through the bs on tv, and i already know theirs more then cabrini greene in Chicago..who doesn't??

my point is i don't get people who say i rather walk in this ghetto then that ghetto because they saw a crime rate on a piece of paper. the ghetto is the same trashy areas all over the country. crime ridden with a higher chance of anyone being a victim of crime compared to more safer areas.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,325 times
This is the same flawed system that's used rank Most Dangerous Cities/States that doesn't reflect reality. It ranks neighborhoods/cities/states using 6 crime subcategories, (murder, assult, rape, robbery, auto theft and burglary) and the one with the lowest number after ranking all 6 crime subcategories is deemed most dangerous. This is the best example in revealing the flaw.
If city A ranks 1st in per capita murder rate and ranks 1st in assult rate, but ranks 20th in each of the other 4 crime subcategories and city B ranks 20th in per capita murder rate and 20th in assult rate but ranks 1st in each of the other 4 crime subcategories, their system would rank city B as more dangerous than city A because 20+20+1+1+1+1=44 for city B and 1+1+20+20+20+20= 82 for city A. The lower number of city B means it's more dangerous than city A. In the real world it's plain fiction at th end of the day.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,581 times
Contrary to popular belief, the most crime-ridden areas in New York really aren't even located in NYC. If you look at the statistics, both Rochester and Buffalo have crime rates (violent crime in particular) that are well above any part of NYC. Although NYC still has crime problems, their improvements over the last 20 years are extraordinary. So while NYS loves to acknowledge how crime in NYC has dropped, upstate cities like Rochester and Buffalo fly under the radar and not much is done to try and fix the problems there.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
People need to not take this article too seriously. I have done statistical social science research that included mapping and I can tell you their methods are extremely unsound and methodologically flawed.

Their results will present a negative bias against areas that bring in huge amounts of people (a daytime population if you will), but the area is actually sparsely populated by urban standards).

Atlanta, having 4 neighborhoods on their list, is a perfect example. One neighborhood is mostly the Georgia World Congress Center and the Georgia Dome. On any given day there are tens of thousands of visitors there and has the capacity to handle hundreds of thousands of people. However, the residential neighborhood just to the west (Vine City) that is included with the GWCC has alot of empty lots and is mostly single family homes. From an aerial map it is easy to count them all. By Consequence there are few people in that census tract, but there are lots of crimes that occur at the convention center and not the residential neighborhood.
The same problem occurs with the Turner Field/Mechanicsville neighborhood and the neighborhood with Centennial Olympic park (a neighborhood that is actually a highly desired in Atlanta).

If you want to see a good example of this examine #5 on the list, then google map (aerial image) Atlanta, GA and look at the same neighborhood from an aerial perspective.

Atlanta is probably an extreme example of this, since many of the urban neighborhoods are not dense and white flight caused alot of residential development to leave Atlanta and go to the next county before the City of Atlanta was fully developed.
Las Vegas is even worse. It appears reasonably clear that they used the LV Metro crime numbers with the city of Las Vegas population. That provides about a 3X error in the crime rates. The local newspaper went after the publisher but of course no one is available who understands the data.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,557 times
This list is rigged, lets move on people

Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM

74 posts, read 233,110 times
Lake Street is hood, I dunno about that particular stretch but Lake Street bangs. There are plenty of strips in Chicago that are live with minimum housing, and not all of Lake street is industrial. I dont know what you talking about, but that stretch of Lake Street on this map is like a small ass portion of Lake. You can go to Lake Street in real life and see instead of googling like you know about that hood. It's a whole lot of Mafia Insane Vice Lords on Lake Street around Cicero that would probably bust jordanduriel's head if he came to them on some, "i seen your hood on google" ****.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 PM

50 posts, read 74,279 times
u gotta put anacostia se dc on da list 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City