Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So HTown these areas are like .06 and .1 and .015 sq miles - collectively they represent .0078% of the Houston Population and ~ .048% of the land area. You are just re-affirming my point with all this data - do you have any sense. I am glad you found a 40 acre plot of land with 57K ppsm (Which is .01% of Houston; yes it makes sense to extrapolate .01% of the area accross the whole city). U are only further evidensing my point. So when the other 99.9% of land is developed at even 1/3rd of the density you can get close to 4 million with Houston
look how big the ones in Philly are. They are the same size. what is your point?
You all are the ones saying Houston don't do that type of density, and I am showing you that it does.

and I only listed a few that stuck out. you are doing like the rest of the land just falls to zero.

By the way, I was more impressed with LA's density map than Philly. Philly has a concentration of dense area and then the rest of the metro looks less dense than Houston.

you always talk smack about maintaining density when y'all have a bunch of boonies in yours too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
look how big the ones in Philly are. They are the same size. what is your point?
You all are the ones saying Houston don't do that type of density, and I am showing you that it does.

and I only listed a few that stuck out. you are doing like the rest of the land just falls to zero.

By the way, I was more impressed with LA's density map than Philly. Philly has a concentration of dense area and then the rest of the metro looks less dense than Houston.

you always talk smack about maintaining density when y'all have a bunch of boonies in yours too.

I have always said LA maintains high density over a long way. And yes they are the same size but also maintian much hogher density radiating from the core so there are not 40K ppsm next 4K ppsm. Philly is very core focused and have always said that but also look at the scale. And on Houston; it does keep moderate density over a long way - like a maintianed suburban development over a large footprint

where is the Philly map you are refencing; would like to see it if you have the link.

I am also not saying that the rest of the areas in Houston have zero just that you are throwing up outlier examples not representative of the vast majority of developed Houston.

and density is on a continuum; a high tract next to a much lower tract is not SUSTAINED density; again my point. You are the biggest cherry picker on here

Old 04-05-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I have always said LA maintains high density over a long way. And yes they are the same size but also maintian much hogher density radiating from the core so there are not 40K ppsm next 4K ppsm. Philly is very core focused and have always said that but also look at the scale. And on Houston; it does keep moderate density over a long way - like a maintianed suburban development over a large footprint

where is the Philly map you are refencing; would like to see it if you have the link.

I am also not saying that the rest of the areas in Houston have zero just that you are throwing up outlier examples not representative of the vast majority of developed Houston.

and density is on a continuum; a high tract next to a much lower tract is not SUSTAINED density; again my point. You are the biggest cherry picker on here
look who is talking about cherry picking. everything someone says to prove you wrong you change the story.

you nit pick every little thing to high light an obscure point.

density is density my friend no matter how it gets you to 4M

Old 04-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
look who is talking about cherry picking. everything someone says to prove you wrong you change the story.

you nit pick every little thing to high light an obscure point.

density is density my friend no matter how it gets you to 4M

HTown go back and read what I have said all along - AVERAGE DENSITY OVER THE WHOLE 580 sq miles has ALWAYS been my point!

I have not changed any of the story - it was always this point

Old 04-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
HTown go back and read what I have said all along - AVERAGE DENSITY OVER THE WHOLE 580 sq miles has ALWAYS been my point!

I have not changed any of the story - it was always this point
and everyone around have told you that cities that large have widely varying density and does not need to be the specif number you calculates as the average all the way threw to garner 4M.

everyone told you that cities that large have multiple pockets

anyway there are some hoods that are not even in the any city limits that have densities higher than 10ppsm. Houston gets to 4M by simply annexing these.

Houston has not annexed in 15 yrs but that is a major temptation just sitting there.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
and everyone around have told you that cities that large have widely varying density and does not need to be the specif number you calculates as the average all the way threw to garner 4M.

everyone told you that cities that large have multiple pockets

anyway there are some hoods that are not even in the any city limits that have densities higher than 10ppsm. Houston gets to 4M by simply annexing these.

Houston has not annexed in 15 yrs but that is a major temptation just sitting there.

HTown - Mathmatically the average density for Houston can ONLY be calculated one way

So at 4 million it is 4,000,000 divided by 579 sq miles = 6,908 ppsm
So at 5.2 million it is 5,200,000 divided by 579 sq miles = 8,981 ppsm

if there is some other way to calculate this please inform me but until then this is the only way

OK So go ahead and Annex - Hell why not annex the whole state then Houston can be a city of 20+ million impressive

Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:

OK So go ahead and Annex - Hell why not annex the whole state then Houston can be a city of 20+ million impressive
why are you always so jealous and negative?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:

you are dead wrong on this, I argued with ATL posters over the same thing so it isn't you. Your #'s are completely irrelevant for density without the square miles associated with the said density. Arguing otherwise will make you look foolish.

and a few nabes higher than 10k, if you have that...please show it...is still not much, most of the higher dense and walkable hoods here are over 30k and go for 3-4 square miles of land, smaller areas along the lake go around 50-60k. manhattan is over 60k for 22 miles, with neighborhoods approaching 200k... just to put things in perspective.go to sf or boston or philly...same thing. a 10k neighborhood here probably means ghetto and abandoned or edge suburb.

Even suburbs here such as Evanston, are 10k... over 8 sq miles! Can houston even hold Evanston density? Maybe it might, I'm not sure. But since people wanna get all loopy with statistics, it needs to go there. Can houston even hold suburban style density over a stretch of 8 sq miles? LMAO @ this .06 sq mile garbage, GTFO. That is like one or 2 high rises!

Last edited by grapico; 04-05-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
you are dead wrong on this, I argued with ATL posters over the same thing so it isn't you. Your #'s are completely irrelevant for density without the square miles associated with the square miles. Arguing otherwise will make you look foolish.

and a few nabes higher than 10k, if you have that...please show it...is still not much, most of the higher dense and walkable hoods here are over 30k and go for 3-4 square miles of land, smaller areas along the lake go around 50-60k. manhattan is over 60k for 22 miles, with neighborhoods approaching 200k... just to put things in perspective.go to sf or boston or philly...same thing. a 10k neighborhood here probably means ghetto and abandoned or edge suburb.

Even suburbs here such as Evanston, are 10k... over 8 sq miles! Can houston even hold Evanston density? Maybe it might, I'm not sure. But since people wanna get all loopy with statistics, it needs to go there. Can houston even hold suburban style density over a stretch of 8 sq miles? LMAO @ this .06 sq mile garbage, GTFO. That is like one or 2 high rises!
the point wasn't to discuss any walkable neighborhoods. Paul and some others think that Houston doesn't get to 20K ppsm, and I showed that it did.

secondly, these are not neighborhoods, you would be stupid to run off with the nonsense that kidphilly says without checking the actually map. these were high density tracts taken from a zip code in houston, and by a zip code it means they were in the same place, and fyi there are no hi rises in that area

Old 04-06-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
the point wasn't to discuss any walkable neighborhoods. Paul and some others think that Houston doesn't get to 20K ppsm, and I showed that it did.

secondly, these are not neighborhoods, you would be stupid to run off with the nonsense that kidphilly says without checking the actually map. these were high density tracts taken from a zip code in houston, and by a zip code it means they were in the same place, and fyi there are no hi rises in that area

HTown - two things; one I was saying this whole time the AVERAGE density required to achieve either 4 or 5 million; nothing about an individual census tract. I described large areas not areas that .02 sq miles.

And did you read what he wrote; he was saying how meaningless a high density tract is if there is not consistent density that sorrounds it for multiple sq miles. Your select tracts are outliers not the norm; even you must admit that but then again you typically do not understand any rational points; especially if they do not further the cause
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City