Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
What a short memory we have. Just two seasons ago Georgia whipped LSU. Three Seasons ago they beat Alabama and Florida. It's only this season and last they haven't been playing as well.

Yeah. Many of us expected to lose to Colorado this year. We are currently having the worst season we have had in decades right now but just two years ago I guarantee you the results of that game would have been very ugly for Colorado. Nothing to do with the greatness of SEC? Right now maybe not but you just ask all the other SEC teams how much they enjoyed having to play Georgia in past seasons. And this little slow down won't last long anyway because Georgia always has some of the best recruits in the Nation out of the State of Georgia alone.

Georgia Tech is a school that wins National Championships despite academically being one of the best schools in the nation (ranked 4th right after M.I.T. Stanford and Berkley as an Engineering School). That is amazing. Notre Dame's the only other team I think of like that. (or used to be)

Whether you like NASCAR or not it's races bring well over a hundred thousand fans to our city. More than a Super Bowl game. That has to mean something to your sports scene.

And on the pro level the Falcons have some really good fans and I would hate to have to play them this year if I were an NFL team. Lately even the Hawks have been selling out games and stirring up excitement. Of course the Braves are America's team.
Oh yeah, and the reason Georgia Tech is playing down this year is because they lost so many great players to the NFL last year. This happens sometimes to University of Georgia as well. This is common because Georgia after California, Texas, and Florida is the biggest supplier of players to the NFL. That's really outstanding when you consider Georgia is so much smaller than California and Texas but is not that far from them in the amount of talent it gives to the pros. The main reason it's such a big supplier is because High School Football is hugely popular here as well.

You should know about us. Too many of your best players ever; Shannon Sharpe, Terrell Davis, Garrison Hearst, Knowshon Moreno are from Georgia Colleges. Seems the Denver Bronco recruiters have a love affair going with our State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Oh yeah, and the reason Georgia Tech is playing down this year is because they lost so many great players to the NFL last year. This happens sometimes to University of Georgia as well. This is common because Georgia after California, Texas, and Florida is the biggest supplier of players to the NFL. That's really outstanding when you consider Georgia is so much smaller than California and Texas but is not that far from them in the amount of talent it gives to the pros. The main reason it's such a big supplier is because High School Football is hugely popular here as well.

You should know about us. Too many of your best players ever; Shannon Sharpe, Terrell Davis, Garrison Hearst, Knowshon Moreno are from Georgia Colleges. Seems the Denver Bronco recruiters have a love affair going with our State.
Good points...additionally Georgia Tech was ranked in the Top 10 as recently as November 2009 (#7). I would say that at least college football fans know Tech exists.

Did you see what I posted about NASCAR coming to Denver? I thought that was pretty interesting...and that the Colorado legislature voted to offer incentives for a NASCAR track. Denver is working hard to bring NASCAR to the area!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
I think it is really telling of Atlanta culture when this is a forum post about Atlanta vs. Denver and there ends up being a debate dominated by SEC Football. Oh yea... and Georgia Tech too.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I think it is really telling of Atlanta culture when this is a forum post about Atlanta vs. Denver and there ends up being a debate dominated by SEC Football. Oh yea... and Georgia Tech too.
We're simply commenting on someone's post criticizing the college teams in Atlanta. You need to look at who broached the subject, and it wasn't an Atlantan.

What's really telling is the number of threads involving Atlanta - and the fact that most of them aren't originated by people from Atlanta. I wonder why that is?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
We're simply commenting on someone's post criticizing the college teams in Atlanta. You need to look at who broached the subject, and it wasn't an Atlantan.

What's really telling is the number of threads involving Atlanta - and the fact that most of them aren't originated by people from Atlanta. I wonder why that is?
Haha... yea but we still love our SEC football

The last few years I have had a job where I have traveled a great deal. It has really helped me grow to appreciate the many things that are great about Atlanta. I use to complain about all the negative aspects about Atlanta, but after seeing what is out there it has really helped me see just what all the pros and cons are of other cities.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:01 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
First off... I understand these types of forums (this vs this) are annoying in that they bring many trolls to the discussion, but I still love them because it honestly forces me to learn about other cities and sometimes in some ways understands mine better and how it can be different (for better or worse).

I won't pronounce too many clear Atlanta or Denver winners... simply because I don't know that much about Denver. However, I will tell you guys about Atlanta and the aspects that makes Atlanta great. This is not intended to ignore Denver's greatness, but merely to create discussion to help everyone learn (hopefully people can learn to post maturely ).

First Airport (domestic/international destinations). I fly alot... I have been to many of the nation's airports and Atlanta's is by far the best for its city economically (not always aesthetics or customer service, because it so incredible busy). Almost all of our major regional planning reports start with some type of statement that the airport must continue to be heavily supported no matter what. The reason is it has ALOT to do with shaping the type of city Atlanta is.

Atlanta just happens to be geographically in the center of all the -major- cities in the eastern and central part of the U.S. If you draw a circle around Atlanta it will almost hit the center of the Boston-NYC-DC corridor, Chicago, the Austin-Dallas-Houston triangle, and Miami. It is often said that you can reach 80% of the population in the U.S. through a 2 hour or less flight from Atlanta. For this reason we have an economy that is heavily supported by Class A office type jobs with companies that have a strong national presence that want to tie together offices between NY, Chicago, and Miami. It cuts down on business travel costs for companies. For this reason we have a higher number of business air travelers per capita visiting Atlanta. This lets us have an extremely high number of convention traffic and hotels for a city our size. It also leads to a high amount of money in some areas. We have one of the 10 most expensive zip codes to live in the U.S.

I suspect Denver might have a similar effect, but on a smaller scale. It is a good central point for companies with a strong West Coast presence and a moderate east coast presence.

But anyways Atlanta has a better traffic connections international and domestically... undoubtedly.

Atlanta is a larger city than Denver...mainly for the reason mentioned above.

Denver looks like it has a gorgeous view of the mountains that I would probably love. I am guessing Denver has lots of great vacation areas or weekend recreational areas within a 1-3 hour drive from the city. Atlanta has a great view of green trees and rolling Piedmont hills caused from the Appalachian mountains. I like living in a major city that isn't so flat and treeless like many others, but those two things typically prevent us from having really nice landscape views of far away places unless your in a tall building. We also have several really nice, large lakes to use for recreational purposes. It also isn't far for us to get to the southern point of the Appalachian hiking trail.

Sports... I'm not going to get into a ... our team is better than your team. Both cities have some strong teams in different respective sports. (the Bronco fans shouldn't discount Braves Baseball so much)

Both Denver and Atlanta appear to have the major sports, however I will argue Atlanta has more minor sports opening us up for more options. We can go see a really big Major league baseball team, the Atlanta Braves, or a smaller more tightly-knit community minor league team, the Gwinnett Braves. We also have a fairly successful minor league hockey team to go along with our more moderately unsuccessful major league hockey team. We have men's and women's basketball. We have soccer, arena football, soccer, and a new, small women's football team and this is all on top of the college sports scene we have.

Denver does have soccer, arena football, basketball, and possible a few other smaller things that I am missing, but Atlanta has an edge on the minor sports that add variety.

Both cities seem to have major sports that their city can identify and rally behind, which is important for both cities to create their own local culture and unite their citizens together.

So I guess I give an edge to Atlanta for variety and options, but if anyone wants to get in a debate on a Broncos effect vs an Atlanta Braves effect... I'll let them duke that out. It will turn into a more metaphysical... Oh yea well... I like my team better.
The Gwinnett Braves aren't single A, judging by your "community league" reference. The Rome Braves are single A and would better fit your definition. The Gwinnett Braves are AAA, and play cities such as Charlotte, Norfolk, Columbus, Buffalo, and Indianapolis.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The Gwinnett Braves aren't single A, judging by your "community league" reference. The Rome Braves are single A and would better fit your definition. The Gwinnett Braves are AAA, and play cities such as Charlotte, Norfolk, Columbus, Buffalo, and Indianapolis.
?? I never said "community league"

...a tight-knit community....minor league team....

In no way is it meant to be a reference to whether the team is A, AA, or AAA.

I am referring to that it is smaller and has fewer followers, so it has more of a tight-knit community feel to it.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
?? I never said "community league"

...a tight-knit community....minor league team....

In no way is it meant to be a reference to whether the team is A, AA, or AAA.

I am referring to that it is smaller and has fewer followers, so it has more of a tight-knit community feel to it.
Your post seemed pretty insightful to me...it definitely didn't warrant that kind of criticism.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Denver FTW!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,365 times
Atlanta, no contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City