Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
This thread is racist and offensive. There is no "capital of Black America". Washington DC is the capital of the United States.
It's only offensive if you can't open your mind to other cities being "capitals" in various ways. It's not meant to be the literal / official capital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's only offensive if you can't open your mind to other cities being "capitals" in various ways. It's not meant to be the literal / official capital
Exactly. There are prosperous black people in every city, but we're debating which city is most notable for black prosperity. I personally think that Atlanta and DC are the top 2 cities in that regard.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:48 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Not when you account for cost of living. You can buy a mansion in greater Atlanta for 150k. Atlanta has higher rates of black owned businesses, home ownership, employment. It's really not even close.
Atlanta has a higher black poverty rate with a lower COL.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Atlanta has a higher black poverty rate with a lower COL.
Atlanta has less Federal Government jobs too, and less jobs as a byproduct of said Federal Government as well.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:44 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Atlanta has less Federal Government jobs too, and less jobs as a byproduct of said Federal Government as well.
Atlanta has far less people as well.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:36 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Smh... People reading Atlanta for filth, but it's still winning the poll with no close rivals.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:45 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Smh... People reading Atlanta for filth, but it's still winning the poll with no close rivals.
That's not saying much at all, in my opinion. It's really a close race between Atlanta and DC, but the former will always win due to being more visibly associated with Blacks in the media while the latter remains the more quietly confident mecca. The irony of that is networks like BET and TV1 are actually hqd in the DMV.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM

408 posts, read 580,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
That's not saying much at all, in my opinion. It's really a close race between Atlanta and DC, but the former will always win due to being more visibly associated with Blacks in the media while the latter remains the more quietly confident mecca. The irony of that is networks like BET and TV1 are actually hqd in the DMV.

Agreed with your post above. I think DC has an upper hand on the ATL metro for being quietly confident. Atlanta is home to Bounce TV and ASPIRE. Although much smaller cable network's they have some quality AA content programming from what I've heard. The poverty rate in ATL is pretty alarming on ground level as well as statistically hope we can find more solutions for this in the future. The gentrification is taking full swing in many areas in both cities.

Keyword Very Similar, but Atlanta wins national perception and ground level presence in most cases.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
So am I, and I disagree. USA has no black capital and no white capital. If you aren't offended you should be.
If you're offended, leave, no one asked you to open this thread, now did they? We don't care about your "all lives matter" shtick and your need to please Massa to feel validated and definitely don't need you telling us how we should feel about anything. You're taking this thread about what's the "capital" way too literally. But I suspect you're either a bot, or typing in digital blackface so you can run back to Breitbart and report on what us terrible negroes are talking about today.

As for this thread, I lived in Atlanta in the mid 2000s to 2010s and currently live in the DC Area. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Atlanta is a lot more well-rounded overall than DC when it comes to Black life due to the far more diverse economy, so you have more people from different aspects of life than you do in DC, which has always catered to the Federal Government and the peripheral economy that depends on it. In Atlanta, there are more black people in a variety of industries and backgrounds who are successful. You're more likely to meet someone who may not have an Ivy-League degree, but they've been successful as entrepreneurs and people in ATL won't look down on you for not having a college degree or having a certain GS-level the way they do in DC. One of my friends here is driving himself mad about getting a higher GS-level position, and I work as a contractor in the private sector, and I wonder at times if I want to jump upon that hamster wheel. As for the black culture in Atlanta, I'll reiterate that even though the black community there is quite diverse (the black professional crowd, the buppie crowd, the working class, the hood crowd, the black hipsters, black gay community, the Afrocentric community are all pretty well represented there), its not the be-all and end-all for black culture, so all these people from other cities who are pressed about people stating their reasons for why they feel it's the "Capital" of Black America, get over it.

Atlanta used to be seen as just another southern town compared to DC, but the lower cost of living and warmer weather and it's popularity in the media have definitely given the city an edge since the 1970s, but the true momentum for Atlanta didn't really happen until the late 1980s/early 1990s. D.C. was seen as a beacon for educated black opportunity for many years (while Chicago and Detroit were the cities for Blue Collar/Working Class Opportunities), but ATL certainly caught up and surpassed it in many ways. The higher COL of the DMV area in general has kept the black population growth here at bay compared to the rapid rise of ATL in the last 30 years or so.

Also, even though Atlanta has a higher black poverty rate, it doesn't have quite the stark contrast between the "haves," and "have-nots" as the black population in DC partially due to the lower cost of living. It's there, but it's a lot easier to perpetrate in Atlanta due to the lower cost of housing and getting more bang for your buck in general than in the DMV area. To be blunt, you have a large population here that historically served as "the Help" for the more prosperous population of DC, black white, whoever. This originally consisted of black native Washingtonians who lived East of 16th St and the Anacostia River, but as the metro area diversified and has a higher Latino population (many of whom are working class), and you have lots of educated blacks with money continuously moving here, the lines are a lot blurrier than they used to be.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Atlanta has far less people as well.
Same tier at the metropolitan level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City