Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Why is that people automatically assume naming Atlanta, DC, NYC, or Chicago as the "Capital of Black America" means that black people can't do well in other places?
Because these people are unable to engage in critical thinking. No one in this thread EVER said that a city named as a "capital of Black America" is among the only cities that Blacks can do well in. NO ONE!!!!!! It's never even been implied for Chrissakes!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
New Orleans,New York and Atlanta have had communities with generational wealth.Of course with Atlanta it was for a shorter period of time than the others.Of course with that is on a smaller and shorter scale than there white counterparts,but it is there on a noticeable lever.

Atlanta has had "Sweet Auburn",the later Peyton Forest,and Colier Heights,The Cascades.The fact that so many HCBU's that date back to 1880's are to be factors for sure.The second oldest black newspaper,the second oldest insurance an one of the oldest black owned bank
None of those compare to old money neighborhoods like Buckhead, Myers Park in Charlotte, Georgetown in DC, etc. That's what I'm referring to, not just historically Black neighborhoods.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Where did you EVER see me say that Black folks should only move to certain cities? You're arguing against something that I, nor anyone else in this thread, ever said. And I seriously wish you would stop acting like you're so concerned about the Black community in these endless diatribes since everybody knows you're just bitter that Atlanta is in a much better position than any city in Alabama. Get over it dude, because we're sick of hearing it.
well dam lol

Old 10-18-2010, 04:00 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
None of those compare to old money neighborhoods like Buckhead, Myers Park in Charlotte, Georgetown in DC, etc. That's what I'm referring to, not just historically Black neighborhoods.
Well of course but its about influence isn't it?Education?Power(relative)to affect change in your community.Those old money black families garner enough wealth(relative to blacks everywhere else to have become organized.Once organized,a man like J.W. Dobbs ,(grandfather of Maynard Jackson), and the famous son of local leader MLK Senior.Not to mention the Yancy,Scott(Atlanta Daily World and Herndon families(Atlanta Life Founder).These people demanded more becaue they had the foundation it which they could on thier own push an agenda.Thats why Atlanta is where it is.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well of course but its about influence isn't it?Education?Power(relative)to affect change in your community.Those old money black families garner enough wealth(relative to blacks everywhere else to have become organized.Once organized,a man like J.W. Dobbs ,(grandfather of Maynard Jackson), and the famous son of local leader MLK Senior.Not to mention the Yancy,Scott(Atlanta Daily World and Herndon families(Atlanta Life Founder).These people demanded more becaue they had the foundation it which they could on thier own push an agenda.Thats why Atlanta is where it is.
You missed my whole point about "old money" neighborhoods. Review what I said in context; then you'll see what I was getting at.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Because these people are unable to engage in critical thinking. No one in this thread EVER said that a city named as a "capital of Black America" is among the only cities that Blacks can do well in. NO ONE!!!!!! It's never even been implied for Chrissakes!!!!!
This is definitely true. These cities are just where Blacks are KNOWN for doing well and in large number. Think Harlem in 1910s-1940s.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Default Matteson, Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
what city is 25 percent black with 80 percent of them middle class and above? i am seriously asking.
Big city? I know of several Chicago suburbs that are way more than 25% black and more than 80% of them middle class and above...

Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 PM

320 posts, read 717,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
. There are some success stories of Blacks that made it in Chicago, hell the city was founded( or first settled) by a Haitian. But when you break it down economically, Chicago is more of a white city.
Correction: Chicago is more of an Irish-ran city and a Polish Mecca.

Quote:
To start off, the city has been under Daley Jr. hands for 21 years.
True, but Chicago do have a lot of Black Aldermen/women, state officials and US representatives.

Fact: There's only been 6 black US Senators in US History and three of them are from Illinois (Carol Moseley Braun, Barack Obama and Roland Burris). In fact since the election of Oscar De Priest, Illinois has produced more US Reps than any other state (Chicago has a large number of them). Also, the Illinois's 1st congressional district (aka da Southside/blackbelt of Chicago) has had a Black US Rep since 1929.

Blacks might not run Chicago, but they have ran Cook County since 1994 (Stroger and Son) and another congressional district that covers the areas south of Chicago. So even if Blacks don't run Chicago, they still run Crook County along with most of the "Soufside".

Quote:
The main hip/trendy areas are Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Near Northside, and Wicker Park/Bucktown. Wicker Park/ Bucktown is the most diverse, but still less than 10% Black.
I agree with this statement. However, the southside has come a looooong way. Bronzeville is an up-and-coming trendy area, the South Loop (Roosevelt to Cermack) looks like an freakin downtown and did you forget about Hyde Park? These areas are pretty diverse and has a large number of Blacks.

Atlanta isn't that different. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Buckhead a "Black" area? I always figured it was a majority White area.

Quote:
University of Chicago( Harvard of the Midwest) isn't 65% White with a noticeable Asian minority. What's so ironic about that is the neighborhood its in is 37% Black and its located on the southside very close to the ghetto.
Atlanta and DC have Morehouse, Spellman, and Howard, all are the top tier HBCUs.
I'll give you this one. However, as good of schools as Howard, Spellman and Moorehouse are, those three together don't hold a candle to the University of Chicago. Emory or Georgetown would be a better comparison.

Also, Chicago has some of the top schools in the Nation (Northwestern, U of C, IIT, DePaul, etc.). Chicago do have a few "majority Black" schools like East-West, Chicago State, Robert Morris, etc. Ok... maybe they aren't HBCU's.... and maybe they aren't "top tier" schools like Howard, but there are a loooooot of colleges and universities in the Chicago area with a looooooot of Black students enrolled in them. Heck, New Orleans has Dillard, Xavier and Southern. Does that make it a Black Mecca?

Quote:
I give them that, but are these cities truly the Black capitals as they're portrayed? Are the trendy/yuppie neighborhoods majority or even significally Black? What about blue ribbon schools? I'm skeptical calling Atlanta and DC Black capitals. Again the poverty rates( 32% and 24% perspectively) are highest among black people in both of these cities. And not to mention the high violent crime rates.
The same can be said for Chicago. Crime in this city has been oooofff the meter lately. However, most large urban areas with 5 million people and up are going to have high poverty and crime rates. Secondly, most of the "successful" Blacks in many of these so-called Meccas live in the burbs. Thus, you can say that cities like the ATL is only a "Black mecca" for successful blacks and hell for the unsuccessful ones.

One thing I do like about the ATL is that when people do come up, they don't leave like many folks have been doing lately in Chicago. It seems as though Blacks can be comfortably rich in that city. Unlike Chicago, where most of the rich folks and all the amenities are far away from the Black folks. Fortunately, this appears to be changing little.

Anyway sorry for the looooooong post.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Correction: Chicago is more of an Irish-ran city and a Polish Mecca.

lmao! thats true.

Also Eastern European/czech(???) german, greek and italian city

mas23

Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 AM

49 posts, read 78,408 times
I chose DC because it's close to Prince George's Country. I'm from Houston and we have a large black and African (Nigerian) population. There's a lot of affluent black neighborhoods in Houston and Dallas. But I actually want out. I really don't like Atlanta.

I'm a young black college student and I was considering relocating to Philly from Houston, good idea?
86781D7D-6AC5-FBE3-FB91-C823D93DC41D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City