Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these?Culturally,Economically,Polictically,Influen ce etc..
Charlotte 9 9.18%
Pittsburgh 13 13.27%
Jacksonville FL 2 2.04%
Cleveland 7 7.14%
Denver 33 33.67%
San DIego 17 17.35%
Columbus ,Ohio 7 7.14%
Portland,OR 10 10.20%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Again, Denver belongs with the cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, San Diego, and Pittsburgh. These cities aren't at the level of Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, and San Francisco, but are definitely above cities like Charlotte, Cleveland, and Portland. I don't even know why Jacksonville and Columbus are on this ridiculous pole.
Pittsburgh? I don't see Pittsburgh as being on the same level as Denver. And I don't see Pittsburgh being above Charlotte and Cleveland at all. Pittsburgh continues to bleed population while Denver and Charlotte are growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Pittsburgh? I don't see Pittsburgh as being on the same level as Denver. And I don't see Pittsburgh being above Charlotte and Cleveland at all. Pittsburgh continues to bleed population while Denver and Charlotte are growing.
So this has to do with population? I'd look at a few more factors when ranking these cities such as GMP, number of Fortune 500 based in the area, number of quality universities, etc... Pittsburgh does very well for itself when you start adding these together.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Phoenix is a joke. Hence the reason for it being a tier 5 city / metro with areas much smaller than it.

Where do you think it belongs and why?
Since you are the one calling it a joke, why don't you enlighten us as to where YOU think it should go and why.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
Quote:
Again, Denver belongs with the cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, San Diego, and Pittsburgh. These cities aren't at the level of Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, and San Francisco, but are definitely above cities like Charlotte, Cleveland, and Portland. I don't even know why Jacksonville and Columbus are on this ridiculous pole.
why would pittsburgh rank above cleveland? denver is a lesser city than cleveland imho, although for most practical purposes they are peers. cleveland and pittsburgh are also in the same tier.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
why would pittsburgh rank above cleveland? denver is a lesser city than cleveland imho, although for most practical purposes they are peers. cleveland and pittsburgh are also in the same tier.
Why is Denver a lesser city than Cleveland?

To look at this in a simplistic manner (2008 GDP):

Cleveland: $104.425B
Pittsburgh: $114.707B
Denver: $150.810B

Cleveland and Pittsburgh both have amazing hospitals (CC & UPMC)...but what else would make up the GDP difference and result in them ranking higher than Denver?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I agree. Why is Pittsburgh being ranked so high. If Pittsburgh is being ranked like this so should Cincinnati who is on the same level or even higher ranked because its doing better in this economy.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
The reason slengel put clev over Denver is he like the older more dense cities of the early 20th century, which are still rebounding! It was not based on the FACT that Denver destroys Cleveland in almost all of today's standards! Better Mass Transit. Better Public Schools. Better Scenery and Weather. Better Economy. You know, the things poeple notice!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
I agree. Why is Pittsburgh being ranked so high. If Pittsburgh is being ranked like this so should Cincinnati who is on the same level or even higher ranked because its doing better in this economy.
Negative..Cincy's 2008 GDP: $98.750B

Unemployment rates:
Denver: 8.1
Pittsburgh: 8.2
Cincy: 9.3
Cleveland: 9.6
Charlotte: 11

Try again

Old 10-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post

According to the latest (2009) GMP numbers, Pittsburgh's GMP is $114.6B and Cincinnati's is at $97.1B. As far as Cinci having a better economy than Pittsburgh, the 2008 GMP for Cincinnati was $98.8B whereas Pittsburgh's was at $114.7B. You do the math.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
The reason slengel put clev over Denver is he like the older more dense cities of the early 20th century, which are still rebounding! It was not based on the FACT that Denver destroys Cleveland in almost all of today's standards! Better Mass Transit. Better Public Schools. Better Scenery and Weather. Better Economy. You know, the things poeple notice!
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City